DIY Zu Pivot into Senn 650 cable?
post-831797
Post #1 of 4

Kush_

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have a spare 2 metre Zu Pivot mini->RCA cable. Seeing as it is not being used I was wondering if it's possible for me to turn it into a better headphone cable for my HD-650's and if it would actually sound better? or is it a stupid idea which wont work?
I haven't done much DIY stuff before but I assume it would be pretty easy, just replace the mini connector with a full size headphone one and replace the 2 RCA plugs with the 2 Sennheiser connector things currantly on my stock cable. I would also have to keep using a small amount of stock cabling just before the 2 Sennheiser plugs, would this bring the performance back to stock levels?

Is this in the right forum I would I be better posting in the "Cables, Power, Tweaks, Speakers, Accessories" forum :/

Thanks for any input

post-831920
Post #2 of 4

itza2mer

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
The way you plan to mod the Zu Pivot cable is the way to do it. Will it sound 'better'? Only your ears can tell you that.

post-831925
Post #3 of 4

Kush_

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
yeh but what I really want to know is:
Would it sound better than the Stock Senn cable? is so what might it be comparable to?
Would using a some of the stock cabling just before the 2 Sennheiser plugs (otherwise the plugs would be ruined) ruin the performance?

I dont want to ruin a perfectly good Zu Pivot unless its going to make a difference. If it's not likely to be better than the stock cable I will continue trying to sell it as it is.

post-833732
Post #4 of 4

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
Reaction score
Website
www.zynsonix.com
Kush, I would sell the Zu cable and with the money you get for it purchase some silver/teflon wiring and a nice quality phono plug, perhaps Cardas? I think you would see more improvement with that than a Zu pivot.

Edit: Or sell it and buy an Oehlbach cable. if you solder the connections after the plugs you run a high risk of the connection breaking if accidentally yanked on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)