DIY Wood cups AKG K140 silver 600ohm, Pictures
Jun 18, 2011 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

roBernd

100+ Head-Fier
Oops, someone should move this to the Headphones-Fullsize sub-forum.

Hi,

I felt like sniping a headphone after writing an exam... I thought I sniped a "baby-sextett" but just got an old K140 instead.
They sound surprisingly good but I felt bad because I bought K141 earpads which didn't fit (bigger)...

after I replaced the old dampening material, replaced the cable, the plug and the elastics... I felt like doing a ~little mod to these cans...

TL;DR ---> Pictures

Needed cheap but nice looking wood

measuring

routed cup... still looks blend

so, let's mess it up like mother nature would

rip off the old plastic pads, add the new velours and stick em all together

>:3

fgdsds

sadly they don't fit with the wood of my secondary amp...

If you like this, you just might want to check out my "Porta Pros", which look somewhat even more mad:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/518358/wooden-portapro-mod-kramer-mod

because they're just squeezed to fit, I might consider routing clean, more industrial looking, cups... but the results so far are quite pleasing, so I dunno if I even want to bother changing anything anymore.

Jun 24, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 16
Oops, someone should move this to the Headphones-Fullsize sub-forum.

I did not stand their look, the wood color in particular, so I did some more industrial looking cups in a hurry... they are not great but quite decent for working with only a Dremel.

TL;DR

replaced these OLD cups with...

these NEW, less organic but sharper looking cups

I'll assemble them tomorrow I guess... 2:15 AM over here, bye.

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 16
Awesome mod. These headphones look great with the wood!

Jun 25, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
edit out the profanity, admin might delete ur thread

Damn... I guess I just passed the American ~Internet-border... I didn't mean to sound harsh or profane in any way.
So, I edited the first post, thank you for your advice.

Well, where was I... ah yeah, I put all parts together and made additional pics.

Not the same wood, but a pleasing result and a better fit next to my secondary amp.

close up

even closer

I'm really fond of 'em and like them quite a bit.

Also... how do i move this thread to the right category?

Jun 25, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 16
Looks fantastic. You should put some wood varnish on it and see how it looks!

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Nice work. noticed you have a little thing for wood :wink:

hehe, yeah, how did you figure that out :D ... it's just such a nice looking and easy to craft material.

I guess the next thing to do is to mod the headband... just don't know what to do yet.
-a custom leather headband
-just add some cushions
-or a K400/1 K500/1 Headband

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 16
*bump* because this is an awesome mod, any other information on it that you're willing to share? (How you mounted the pads, what size rings you used, etc)

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 16

Oh, there is a comment :D

Quote:
*bump* because this is an awesome mod, any other information on it that you're willing to share? (How you mounted the pads, what size rings you used, etc)

Had to take them apart today (looted the drivers for a different headphone) -> http://www.head-fi.org/t/584518/telefunken-x-akg-k140-frankenphone
, so I took some time to measure the "ring"

The outer diameter of the Ring is 9cm
The inner diameter = 7.2cm
(so the ring's body is 9mm wide)

The ring is 1.9cm tall and the pads are attached by gluing them to the pads backside, which is made up off plastic.

The "cosmetic circles" are 3mm wide and from each step to the next one there is a 3mm hight difference.

To connect this construction to the headphone just remove the old pads and lightly press the headphone into the wooden ring.
If you routed precisely, they'll fit like a charm and lock themselves a little so they won't come off until you apply quite some pressure from the other side.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess with this and the pictures it's quite easy to recreate this mod and basically turn a K140 into a K141~ish wooden headphone
(hence, the K140 pads are not for everyone (in terms of comfort))

Cheers, roBernd

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back