DIY/T2 Electrostatic Amp Thread - General
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #16 of 80
Sweet! I considered the black anodised finish before deciding on the mirror black. Kerry sent me this photo of an aeras as an example. Should look cool in T2 form for sure :thumbsup: :slight_smile:

Very nice! Sadly the mirror black wasn’t an option. Only black anodized , clear anodized and clear chrome. I would have gone with the black chrome if it were available but honestly the black anodized finish will match the rest of my gear better.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #17 of 80
Very nice! Sadly the mirror black wasn’t an option. Only black anodized , clear anodized and clear chrome. I would have gone with the black chrome if it were available but honestly the black anodized finish will match the rest of my gear better.
Yeah I remember Kerry was having trouble with consistency from the maker of mirror/chrome black option and it was likely going to stop being available. At least black is still possible in some form. Should be sweet :thumbsup:

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #18 of 80
I am using a Felitsa Audio Carbon with a set of 009. I know a lot say that Felitsa makes bad amps but I think i have a decent version.
I have looked at a used set of X9000 but I wonder if I would be better off saving for the Kerry T2?
I have never had the opportunity to listen to the T2 so I would like to hear your thoughts.
X9000 on a cheap Carbon or 009 on a Kerry T2 - what order would you recommend?
Down the road I probably will get both but it might be years before I can afford both.

Feb 18, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #19 of 80
I am using a Felitsa Audio Carbon with a set of 009. I know a lot say that Felitsa makes bad amps but I think i have a decent version.
I have looked at a used set of X9000 but I wonder if I would be better off saving for the Kerry T2?
I have never had the opportunity to listen to the T2 so I would like to hear your thoughts.
X9000 on a cheap Carbon or 009 on a Kerry T2 - what order would you recommend?
Down the road I probably will get both but it might be years before I can afford both.
I've always found headphones make the biggest difference, and I think the X9000 is a better headphone than the 009. It's not that the T2 from Kerry is a bad amp, quite the opposite, but the X9000 would make a bigger difference, and for me, would be my first choice.

I know others do feel the opposite way from me, and that the amp and source make the biggest difference, which is cool and I understand where they are coming from, but thats my personal experience.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #20 of 80
I've always found headphones make the biggest difference, and I think the X9000 is a better headphone than the 009. It's not that the T2 from Kerry is a bad amp, quite the opposite, but the X9000 would make a bigger difference, and for me, would be my first choice.

I know others do feel the opposite way from me, and that the amp and source make the biggest difference, which is cool and I understand where they are coming from, but thats my personal experience.

Same here, and the x9000 is pretty easy to drive. As is the 009. Some people haven't loved the Carbon/X9000's synergy, but if you already like the 009 with it, I don't think you'll run into that issue. The T2 refines the 009 and x9000, best I've heard either sound. But I'd spring for the headphones first in this situation.

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #21 of 80
+1 headphones make a bigger difference

Feb 18, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #22 of 80
Thank you for the quick and informative replies!
Living in Denmark i don't have many options for listening to Electrostatic headphone amps so I very much rely on the impressions of the online community.

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #23 of 80
Feb 19, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #24 of 80
Well - I have had some recent luck hunting out NOS unopened headphones and happened upon a brand new pair of 009 cans which I just bought to try out with my T2 for the very reasons mentioned above. I do not expect it to equal my X9000 however I have a feeling it will be rather special.

Speaking of hunting out NOS mint headphones might as well make a shameless bump for my listing of a NOS 007 MK1 :sunglasses:

Mar 1, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #25 of 80
Would love to know more about how this effects sonic differences - all for a commercial offering.
The "OG" DIY T2 (mine is a George Parris build) has a thickening & reinforcing effect in the lower range. There's more warmth and body in the midrange through bass, and bass seems more punchy & weighty as well. The effect is significant enough that it has a transformative effect specifically on the original 009. In fact, whereas you'd be pairing the 009 with a warm-as-you-can-get source on (say) KGSShv or Carbon amps, you'll now be seeking out more aggressively detailed and voiced sources with the 009 + OG T2. But as a whole, the 009 + OG T2 is magic - and it's my favorite. Note that I generally DON'T prefer dead neutral. I almost always voice my systems to tilt a bit towards warmth and body. You can see that with my preferences in amps, speakers (Tannoys), cartridges (Koetsus, Benzes), phono stages. It's actually weird that I love the 009 so much - not in my typical wheelhouse, but I bonded with it early on (actually first heard it on Purk's OG DIY T2).

The OG T2 isn't a good match for ES1a or L700 (imo), because these headphones become a bit congested in the lower midrange & bass. It's just a bit too much going on down there. I do remember the Sennheiser HE90 being spectacular on OG T2, probably because it also particularly benefits from the bass & body reinforcement. But it's been a while since I heard that combo.

I'm also going on memory here for the BHSE (sold mine circa 2018?), but Kerry's Nascent T2 (not quite the latest Eksonic but close) has a voicing which reminded me of BHSE with its performance "supercharged". It doesn't have the lower range "boost" of the OG T2. Treble is very similar on both T2's - really clean and detailed but very slightly relaxed. Compare either T2 to a Carbon KGSShv which will sear your eardrums off when paired with 009 or L700 lol. I would call the Nascent's voicing neutral-ish, with a slight warmth & sweetness affected from the tubes.

The Nascent sounds really great with 009, but doesn't quite bump them into the "magic" range. It was also a wonderful match with 007, ES1a, and L700. A bit overkill for the L700, but oh-so-good. Like the BHSE (but better), it's going to sound good with everything. It's a well-tempered voicing.

Unfortunately I don't have the X9000, SGL, CRBN, or whatever new 'stats are the rage these days. Those would be the more likely application for potential T2 buyers these days.

I've also heard Purk's OG DIY T2 - not a George P build, but sounds effectively the same (going on memory). The transistors and boards seem to be what gives each T2 its sound. The tube rolling effect on both T2's is relatively mild - this goes for both EL34 and 6922. You're not going to make one T2 sound like the other by rolling. I think the Russian Mullard EL34 are a great value for the money here. You don't really need to go beyond that, though of course I have some nice Holland brown-base EL34 in there now. For affordable 6922 I like the Matsushita 7DJ8, though Siemens E88CC are great if you need to spend a bit more.

The 009 / T2 / vinyl combination is absolutely wonderful, but you have to be careful not to end up with treble too recessed. I find this Herron phono stage a little too aggressive and sterile in my Tannoy rigs, but it's the prefect partner for an OG T2. The OG Yggy was also a great OG T2 source. My current DAC is a Phison PD2 that's a bit warmer (when using coax input via Audiophilleo) and I thought it would be stellar here but it's not quite. The Phison was better than Yggy on the Nascent T2.

11997681.jpeg

DSC_1252 (2).jpg

DSC_1428 (4).jpg

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #26 of 80
Thank you for the quick and informative replies!
Living in Denmark i don't have many options for listening to Electrostatic headphone amps so I very much rely on the impressions of the online community.
Isn't there a prominent estat dealer in Denmark? I got a 323x for a great price from them when I started out, very knowledgeable owner.

Jun 22, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #30 of 80
I’m pretty sure the consensus has been that the bhse was superior to the Stax t2
Really? I had thought the SRM-T2 was the aspirational amplifier that was held in the highest regard for it's sound quality, but perhaps not its stability / maintainability? Certainly people are paying far more for the DIY-T2 than the BHSE today, and my understanding is that the DIY-T2 is an SRM-T2 circuit with some unobtainium parts updated, and a more stable PSU?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back