DIY Requirements.
Jan 28, 2008 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kad

Head-Fier
Was hoping to get a recommendation on what sorts of tools are needed, what sort of wires are nice to have lying around and the sort of work space that is required. I appreciate any specific recommendations and things that are obvious to you seasoned DIYers, may not be so to me, so keep that in mind and bear with me. Modded PC cases for friends before but it's a completely different thing.
Basically I'm ready to dive into audio DIY but need guidance.
Cheers and I'm thanking you DIY gurus in advance.
-Alan

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 19
in sync with tomb - what a honour
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 19
What's your budget?
wink.gif

At a bare minimum you will want a soldering iron, pliers, wire strippers, flush-cut snips and a cheap digital multimeter (and supplies).

Unfortunately, since you're in Australia, I can't make any really specific recommendations. Most of the 'cheap but good' deals are very vendor-specific since they're no-name brand tools. Maybe some fellow aussies can advise.

A couple points anyway...you don't want a soldering 'gun', these are awful for the small wires and boards we use around here, they're only good for large joints. Look for a 15-30W pencil style iron. Avoid any that use a set screw to hold the tip in, these are usually very poor quality. A decent iron should use a nut to either directly hold on the tip or that holds a sheath over the heater and thus the tip as well.

For a DMM, don't spend too much money at this point. For 90% of what you're going to be doing, the $10 meter is going to do you fine.

You might take a look at tangent's equipment video or the tool kits that ladyada recommends. Her projects aren't audio-related, but her tool suggestions are solid.

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 19
I think you can get by without wire strippers, in bare minimum sense:
biggrin.gif
<teeth help. Otherwise, I think most everything has been covered by the tips here. The wire that you need can be found in those little electronic or repair stores. To begin with, just get a hand full of different ones, mostly thin ones. If you have some cat5 network cable, the wires inside there are pretty good. I think that trying to tackle a CMoy is a perfect first project too, it'll give you a good feeling for the tools you need. Tangents site has great info in regards to that and much much more..

Oh, and get thin solder, not the thick stuff!

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 19
See now that's what I love about this community, after twenty-something minutes I have six useful replies. I really appreciate that guys.
*Applauds*
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your budget?
wink.gif

Don't think there'll be any issues there. But it will impact what my first project is.

Which brings me to the next agenda what's a good quality first project?
My aim is to get to a level of skill where I can feel confident about building a β22 or similar. I think baby steps will be necessary although I'm a bull by the horns sort at heart.

If anyone has any ideas for a project I'd be delighted to know.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an into into audio and electronics - tangent is the man. His site is incredibly useful.

x2 ... his video tutorials are awesome!

best regards,
bearmann

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover
As an into into audio and electronics - tangent is the man. His site is incredibly useful.

Who would have guessed going off on a tangent is useful.
Terrible pun I know, but I just couldn't resist.

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 ... his video tutorials are awesome!

best regards,
bearmann

Tangent's soldering tutorials certainly helped me with my soldering technique when I was first starting out

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who would have guessed going off on a tangent is useful.
Terrible pun I know, but I just couldn't resist.

Yep - that's pretty bad. I'd never thought of it before - and I'm normally god with bad puns, or is that bad with good puns.
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #14 of 19
Yep Tangent's stuff is pretty amazing, it took a computer software guy with no experience with electronics at all (couldn't read schematics, couldn't solder, didn't know what a resistor or capacitor even did) and turned him into a DIY maniac that built everything he owns within 6 months
smily_headphones1.gif

On the basic, this is what I started with and would recommend:
  1. Weller SP23 - $20 (Very nice and cheap soldering iron) with Kester 44 63/37 solder.
  2. Cheapest DMM you can find - I started with a MasterCraft - $15
  3. 24AWG Silver Plated Copper wire - I buy mine form navships on eBay at $8 / 50ft when I need it, if you need more than a few rolls, get 1000ft from a supplier, it's cheaper. You'd be surprised how fast this stuff goes. A few headphone cables, a few interconnects and you're done with a few hundred feet. Might as well not run out.
    smily_headphones1.gif
  4. Since you modded a PC cases (as I have before as well), you should have some power tools around like a power drill with assorted bits and probably a Dremel or other rotary tool, they come in handy for case work.

Good luck. It's a fun hobby, oh and by the way, welcome to the club and say goodbuy to your wallet.
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #15 of 19
Getting the tools is easy enough I think setting up a good workspace for it...That's something a bit harder for me right now. Just moved a week ago.

And the cheap DMM should be on the way AUS$9 for it. Thank you ebay :p
Can't decided between the needle soldering iron and the chisel. I've only used needles in the past. Any big advantages one way or the other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back