DIY Requirements.
Jan 29, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #16 of 19
I use the chisel tip exclusively for "normal" size components and for WW2 era mega size components also. I have only done 2 very small smd projects and can't comment on what is best for that.

Re buying equipment: you can certainly buy items that will last and of good construction and if you give up on DIY sell them on ebay.

A temperature controlled soldering iron is wonderful.

F

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #17 of 19
I've only used 'needle' tips (okay, I'm still on something more like a big fat pencil tip), and I've managed to neatly do some SMD and a whole bunch of through hole quiet easily. I'll have a field day when I get myself a 'real' iron
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't decided between the needle soldering iron and the chisel. I've only used needles in the past. Any big advantages one way or the other?

I'd recommend the chisel, if it's sufficiently small. The advantage is that rather than a point heat source, you can use the flat edge to get more surface area (and thus heat transfer) against the copper pad and component. With a sharp (good) needle tip, the actual contact area is very small unless you awkwardly lay the tip lengthwise across the joint. Chisel tips are easier to use and lead to better joints due to more even heating. Unless you have a specific reason not to use one, I'd say they're the only way to go, especially for SMD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back