DIY Project - pics inside
Oct 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Rebel975

500+ Head-Fier
Teaser photos only at the moment. Any guesses about what I'm making? I can only work on it on the weekends, and I'm still buying up tools that I need. I'm basically starting from scratch on this. I've had to buy every single tool that I need (Turning 23 tomorrow, btw!
gs1000.gif
)

Rumor has it my GF is buying me a soldering iron for my birthday. Unfortunately it won't be here for a week+. After it gets here I can finish this project.

It SUCKS cutting wood with a handsaw! It's cheap and effective though. I should of just shelled out the $50 for a proper power saw. LOL Oh well.

I spent a long time sanding all of the pieces to make them (mostly) square. It's not going to be perfect, but damn close, especially for having done this with hand tools. It's so hard to make a straight cut with a handsaw.

It's getting pretty obvious what I'm making by the time you get to this picture.

And if you can't tell when you look at this picture then may the audio gods have mercy on you.
biggrin.gif

One more picture for now:

More pics to come as I get the last of the tools I need (drill bits, soldering iron, wire, clamps).

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #2 of 20
Subscribed, looks interesting!

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 20
Starting something else while I wait for the soldering iron to get here.

Oct 14, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #4 of 20
I'll put up a pic of the finished stand tomorrow night. Letting it air out for one more day before I put my expensive equipment on it.

Still waiting for the soldering iron. Here's a little something else I did in the meantime. A Hifiman HE-500 headset!

Audio Technica PRO 8hex microphone, ART Tube MP preamp, and adapters. The microphone is taped/shrink tubed to a piece of bent metal. In my very short testing it seems to work very well.

Sorry about the picture quality in some of these. I can't seem to hold my phone very steady. Oh well.

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 20
My guess for the build...

At first I thought, "It's a boat!"  But upon further consideration I decided it's not very sea-faring.

Then I saw the switches, so now I know what it is, it's a time machine.  The switch on the left sends you to the past, the one on the right sends you to the future.  Typically I'd use a a single toggle switch so as to not turn them both on at the same time, which would tear ones body asunder into temporal nightmares only experienced by the most wealthy of masochists.  My hope is that you will use some sort of latching circuitry to prevent such things!

I'll accept my reward in the form of cash.

Oct 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 20
^Very nice. Unfortunately I'm going to just have to trust the user not to flip both switches at once.

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #7 of 20
Really happy with the way the stand turned out.

Still waiting on the soldering iron so I can finish the switch box.
triportsad.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 20
I burned the words "IN" and "OUT" underneath the switches; I got my belated birthday present today.

I've stained the wood and I can solder the jacks tomorrow night (or soon, anyway). Then assemble and I'm done.

Oct 20, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 20
Hell of a soldering iron... 

Looking forward to the final product.

Oct 22, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #11 of 20

So close to being done. I just need to do add some more glue and do the assembly. I tested the RCA jacks and everything is working.

Not super thrilled with the appearance of everything. It definitely looks DIY. Oh well- it'll do what I want it to do.

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #13 of 20
Yeah, I just wish it was square and that the RCA jacks were lined up. Also, I may or may not have gotten super glue on a couple of the jacks. lol

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 20
That's coming along just nicely!

Despite what people may think, it takes a lot of practice to drill cleanly through wood. Thumbs up for making it out of wood rather than an off the shelf plastic box.

I really need to start practicing my woodworking skills.

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 20
An early shot of some Gorilla foam glue... well.. foaming. No more glue. It gets everywhere.

After it's done foaming up.

All wiring done! I put solder on each end point to give it some extra strength and tied all of the ground wires together. Going to bed now, but I'll give it one final test in the morning before I seal up the wood. No going back after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back