DIY Project - pics inside
Oct 23, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #16 of 20

Finished. Definitely looks kinda.. eh. Still works after assembly though. What a relief that is.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #17 of 20

Quote:

Stranded wire does not like screw terminals, they have a way of working their selves out from underneath the screws.  Obviously though, if it works, who cares?  Though if this was something that was going to move around and be beaten on (or had some decent voltage/current going through it, like mains power), then I'd suggest either putting ferrules on the wire, or using fork terminals, OR soldering straight to the tabs.

Also, since this is so light, if you attach something heavy to the bottom of the box (inside or out), like a bag of lead shot, you can keep the thing from moving around on you when you flip the switches.

All in all, nice job.

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #18 of 20
I put the wires in the screws and then smothered them in solder. I also covered every connection point with some super glue and the point where the ground wires all converge has a layer of electrical tape as well. Shouldn't ever come off.

Also- yeah, I'm thinking about ways to keep it attached to my desk. Maybe some poster tabs or something. If all else fails I could just put a couple nails into my desk and sandwich the box between them.

Edit: Had audio cut out in one of the left channels. I actually cut the box open and checked all of the wires... only to discover that the white side of one of my RCA cables had died. What a waste of time. Making an emergency trip to a store to buy another RCA cable.
mad.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #19 of 20
That will definitely teach you to check every line of connection before you start opening up the components
wink_face.gif
  Sorry you had to deal with that, but I guess that's a way to learn?
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 24, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #20 of 20
Yeah. This has been a very good learning experience. I've now got some bigger fish to fry. I want to put some OPAMP sockets in my Astro Mixamp and continue another project I had already started (Nintoaster).

By the way- the poster tabs were all I needed to keep the box from moving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back