DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 31, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #406 of 464
I can't use them more then 30 minutes also, but not because of weight. Discomfort is caused by tight clamp & uneven weight distribution.

This is the case with my LCD-X, so I wholeheartedly agree with the statement. It would be no issue if people would sit 100% upright like a pole for a perfect distribution, but seldom people do this i.e. feet tucked under their rump, leaning to a side or perhaps from spinal misalignment - which leads to the weight distribution being everything, but subtle and thus very tiring post 20-minutes.

I wonder how Verum does in this aspect. From the looks, they do seem more comfortable - but I doubt any headphone of this size and weight will ever fix this general issue, but a perfect surface tension would alleviate a lot of the issues Audeze phones have (stiff and hefty, makes them move/misalign very fast on your head and thus the weight seems dispersed unevenly). One would expect the clamping force would somewhat distribute more weight by way of large earcups...

Jul 31, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #407 of 464
Sure but nothing beats a 200'ish grams phone comfort-wise so please keep the idea in mind. Audeze's been trolling you with their 80x70mm driver size statement on Sine anyway, you shall respond comrade :p

Sine is an ear-crusher and FWIR due to vacuum its diaphragms make plasticky noises whenever you move huh. It also has genuine leather glued onto its cups that's both unnecessary/fragile and kills market shares with vegans, besides genuine leather comes with Chromium poisoning and I don't want Chromium anywhere near my head nor endorse its use: https://gizmodo.com/how-leather-is-slowly-killing-the-people-and-places-tha-1572678618

Long story short, the 200'ish grams supra ortho market is all yours basically. Make it closed and you have a market killer that will appeal to both home users and people on the go.

Please make it happen down the road :)

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #408 of 464
You know, I don't want to say smth like "Verum is like a feather on your head" :D Only you should judge whether it is comfortable or not. Unfortunately can't give you that opportunity. At least right now.

And about the look - I've never talked about the sound of my creation, but I've shown some fancy pics. What if these pics are heavily photoshoped ? And all that "expectations vs reality" stuff?
Today I've received a photo for Headfonics.com before upcoming

It's a photo as-is and not made by me (Sorry, I will turn the knob in photoshop :D )
And this is smartphone photo without studio light taken by Marcus from same Headfonics.com

I have begun the (slow) process of making a headphone stand for the Verum headphone, the Codia gold plated will not match the headphone I believe, so the solution must be DIY in brass :fingers_crossed:Gold matches the LCD-X surprisingly well though (black on gold :ok_hand:)
Details: 5 x Mahony pieces from the same plank approx. 25mmx150mmx270mm and 4 x Brass plates 2mm thickness (about same specifications). They should provide proper weight to the stand and match very well in colour.

Sorry for the bad phone images =p

IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0196.JPG
zdBHDOi

DDzYQyi

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #409 of 464
Sure but nothing beats a 200'ish grams phone comfort-wise so please keep the idea in mind. Audeze's been trolling you with their 80x70mm driver size statement on Sine anyway, you shall respond comrade :p

Sine is an ear-crusher and FWIR due to vacuum its diaphragms make plasticky noises whenever you move huh. It also has genuine leather glued onto its cups that's both unnecessary/fragile and kills market shares with vegans, besides genuine leather comes with Chromium poisoning and I don't want Chromium anywhere near my head nor endorse its use: https://gizmodo.com/how-leather-is-slowly-killing-the-people-and-places-tha-1572678618

Long story short, the 200'ish grams supra ortho market is all yours basically. Make it closed and you have a market killer that will appeal to both home users and people on the go.

Please make it happen down the road :)
Does every genuine leather come with chromium?

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #411 of 464
Xantiema, Coda stand looks great. I bet it's expensive.
What to do you want to make from that mahogany notches?
It was expensive retail, but I have worn it quite a bit, so probably not worth anything near it's retail limited time run price of +- 600USD (+import tax to europe).

I was intending on making headphone stand with a unique design, but haven't come up with one yet. Feel free to have some input on this aspect of design that'd suit Verum headphones :grin:

The 4 brass layers will be visible in the sides only (top,bottom and sides). So it would mostly be visible when putting on/taking off the headphones or if you display the stand toward the side, as shown in one of your Verum pictures above.

So basically glue together with strong epoxy and proceed to cut after design and then high polish it - inserting brass knobs (top and bottom) on backside for cable management. The wood is from a long plank of the tree, and provides some funky wood grains as seen from some magnetic knife racks (all from the same plank) I made earlier (not yet properly oiled/lacquered/polished).

IMG_0199.JPG

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #412 of 464
Does every genuine leather come with chromium?
Pretty much, if it doesn't it cost a whole lot more to make and would be heavily advertised as "chromium-free". And genuine leather doesn't necessarily come from cow, it'll come from anything they can get for the cheapest, you get my drift when it's made in China. I'm no vegan BTW, I just don't see any good reason to buy animal skin for my hobbies......and it doesn't help with anything but looks on Sine, since when is it hip to have black genuine leather from undisclosed species glued onto plastic headphone cups I wonder.....maybe they're hoping to hook up an OEM deal with Chanel :triple_facepalm:

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #413 of 464
You know, I don't want to say smth like "Verum is like a feather on your head" :D Only you should judge whether it is comfortable or not. Unfortunately can't give you that opportunity. At least right now.

And about the look - I've never talked about the sound of my creation, but I've shown some fancy pics. What if these pics are heavily photoshoped ? And all that "expectations vs reality" stuff?
Today I've received a photo for Headfonics.com before upcoming

It's a photo as-is and not made by me (Sorry, I will turn the knob in photoshop :D )
And this is smartphone photo without studio light taken by Marcus from same Headfonics.com

Not trying to be disrespect to any, but while i enjoy the overall look of the headphones the color scheme is a bit too much of "Russian" which is kinda not the most stylist look for me personally. Otherwise really interested to get hands on these babies once you start selling these, and all the info gathered it is looking very good.
My only advice is go with silver/chrome instead of gold and that would probably lessen the "Russian" look of the phones or use different color on the "wood imitation".

Also.. how does these sound closed? or have you tested that?

As an example Telefunken Aqusta has the same color scheme/look/style or whatever you wanna call it (though they are honestly way uglier and in this case not even fair comparison to your design)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #414 of 464
Aomas, I've shown here different color schemes. For example those color combinations:

I'll propose several predefined looks. If you want something custom that'll cost additional money.
No no no, those look nice. I seem to have missed the other variations. I gotta say that black grill variation has a high-end look on it (meaning it has a touch of personality but doesn't go full pimp daddy :D), do like the silver one too. Edit. gold with that black carbon doesn't look bad either, tho not huge fan of the carbon fiber look.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #415 of 464
Aomas, I've shown here different color schemes. For example those color combinations:

I'll propose several predefined looks. If you want something custom that'll cost additional money.

Closed planars always sounds worse then open.

It is lovely with options, but I personally still prefer the original design.

When you say custom, do you mean something like Vibrant colors in titanium over brass etc.? Does this include custom cables? Also with these color options, it made me wonder if you had different types of ear-pads also (e.g. brown vegan pads). The original pads were Sheepskin and memory foam?

I was once again reading the Verum reviews to recall the revision changes, the graphs from cSkippy (alpha) and Hands (later revision) made me think about; What ear-pads did you end up with in the finalized design? More like the angled ones of Focal Clear?

Cheers! :wine_glass:

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #416 of 464
Same here, I prefer the original design by a wide margin. It just looks right. The black one doen't look too bad tho.

What concerns me the most is that the first batch will all be using double-sided magnets, and efficiency will be as high as 96db/mw. Not that I have anything against that but you did say single-sided drivers help save cost as well as lower the efficiency. I know demand for 75db/mw headphones is probably very low but still, I hope some day some planar designer would come up with a design so inefficient we can plug it straight into a speaker amp and not have to adjust volume. That would be the perfect way for speaker guys to get into the headphone game.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #418 of 464
Verum 1 is a double-sided planar headphones. I can't propose a model that nobody heard except me and couple of friends in Ukraine. This is just unfair from my point of view.

I understand. Do you think it sounds better or worse? Or just different?

Aug 1, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #419 of 464
I must say that you are an inspiration to me! Read trough all 34 pages in a single sitting! Your answers are informative and honest. I do hope you make it up to audeze/hifiman level one day!
Keep up the good work!

Aug 2, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #420 of 464
More different then worse. Sinlge sided design has more flat but at the same time more detailed and transparent sound.Also single sided model has much less dynamics.
Absence of magnets between driver and ear has huge impact on transparency and micro details.
Glad to hear. Personally I won't trade dynamics for transparency and details, but to each his own I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back