DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #302 of 464
Look forward to hearing them eventually

May 7, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #303 of 464
Look forward to hearing them eventually

Thanks for your interest, but infortunately I can't make (at least yet) so many samples to send headphones to everyone who is interested ;(
But from my point of view I must send them to several countries before asking money for them. This at least honest.

May 9, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #305 of 464
Garuspik, first I would like to thank you for your contribution to the DIY community. I have been following your progress ever since you have started your DIY thread on the Russian forum and I would like to say that you have done an excellent job creating this headphone. One you feel like you are ready to sell your headphone please let me know so I can place an order.

I am also interested in the mylar + aluminium that you are using. Can you please post a link to the item or a supplier name along with the part number?

May 17, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #307 of 464
See: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphones-work#HWpdGbxPQLYMIcpR.97

This is called a ribbon driver. They are used in some speakers as tweeters, just like planar magnetic drivers. What's cool about them is that all you need to make one is a thin sheet of aluminum foil and a pair of magnets. An array of bar magnets oriented like a planar magnetic headphone won't work. A huge advantage of ribbon drivers is that the diaphragm can be made thin... really thin... As in so thin that an unexpected burst of air can tear it. (this is a real problem) But, on the other hand, the diaphragm mass is tiny, so it can resolve detail like an electrostatic driver. The minuscule impedance is also a problem. The delicacy of the diaphragm can be helped by putting a sheet of crumpled Mylar around the driver assembly. See this post for details. I would be very interested in hearing a pair of ribbon headphones. I'm also curious about that amp you speak of that can drive a dead short. Part of me wants to call BS on that claim, but I will refrain from doing so until I hear more details. Cool topologies that can do cool things do exist.

Darn. I already wanted to make some e-stats and planars. Now you've interested me in DIY ribbon headphones!
He has to use graphene for that as it strongest thing known to man and is extremely conductive...

May 17, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #308 of 464
Ribbons are strips of foil. What you described works the same way, so I think it would qualify as a ribbon. Not sure about that, though, now that you mention it. A thin strip of foil would have some advantages in the mids and treble, but I'm not sure about bass. Thin foil would also be higher sensitivity (need less current) and higher impedance, not that that matters with a transconductance amplifier.

A transconductance stage in an amp would also be very helpful with driving grounded-grid or common gate stages where you need the preceding stage to have gain, which a cathode follower or a common drain stage don't do. But you probably knew that already.

I think I do have an idea. I'm pretty much the same, except I have much less experience than you. With regards to the statement about how little innovation there has been, I agree totally,but you should see the guitar industry. Guitarists will spend thousands for amps that were designed in the 50's, instead of modern amps, and, I know this sounds crazy, but I don't blame them. Many modern guitar amps actually sound worse than the ones 60 years old. They seem to have made backwards progress.

By the way, have you ever heard of a beam deflection tube (BDT)?

Now back to DIY planars, and maybe ribbons.
He can create sealed ribbon tweeter with a 50mm diaphragm on crossover

May 18, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #309 of 464
One driver ribbon design won't give you bass, two driver design will bring more problems then can solve.
Bro, you can design your chin film like oppo planar magnetic and get n52 custom magnet(Fibonacci structure D style magnets) to increase overall air to diaphragm contact, increase flux consistency and make diaphragm more sensitive.

I did make some planar magnetic loudspeakers and they sound amazing.

May 18, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #310 of 464
Bro, why I should look at Oppo? I don't like them at all and don't consider their magnetic system to be superior over my creation.
Nahh, I didn't mean that....

Its just that I want to say that the circuitry can be more complex and cover the diaphragm more, so sensitivity can rise, if you want...

I did my tracing on both side of diaphragm which was a extremely thin buckypaper.

I like your creation, its amazing level of work you did...

And I have made some planar speakers in past and what I suggest you that you can circuit tracing on both side of film(I am not saying to copy oppo circuit design) just have the circuit tracing on both side

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #313 of 464
No it doesn't. Sensitivity in planar headphones depends on 3 things:

1. Current that flow across conductive traces.
2. Force of magnets
3. Distance from membrane to magnets.

I'll try to explain in details. For example right now I have length of all traces 1 meter and 10 ohm resistance. I can make traces 2 times thinner and 2 times longer cause now I can put much more traces on same square. Will it increase sensitivity - NO. Cause resistance will be 4 times higher and and the same voltage less current will be applied to those conductive traces.
OK just wait...

You make a circuit trace on one side and other circuit trace on other side and then connect them in parallel.. Who would wanna destroy an efficient device by doubling resistance.

Well this is called two way magnetic planar and this increase sensitivity. But then it needs more tuning.

It is employed by clear voice, wisdom audio and some manufacturer.

Actually oppo also uses it but closed back make them a little weird.

I did mentioned the magnetic strength.

Magnet effect the whole sensitivity.

But i think distance of magnet effects tuning more than the dB(yes it do effect dB, and is extremely noticeable).

Yes current amplification do effect.

Bro I am making planar magnetic speaker for a long time...

And what you say is right.

I think I am not able to tell you what I want to say. I never said that you copy oppo, just some positive points from all manufacturer, your own knowledge....use them as ingredients and make the perfect headphone out there

1. Make dual tracing and get them on parallel
2. Get n52 magnets and try getting a custom magnet shape with more uniform magnetic spread.
3.Instead of D magnet, get yourself to make custom waveguide and what angle effect the audio the most.
4.you can stack magnet of opposite polarity over your magnet to push the magnetic flux more inside, turning them even stronger.(big companies achieve Tesla forces like that. For ex. Audeze and Beyerdynamic Tesla driver.)

May 19, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #315 of 464
I don't want to argue with you. You can think whatever you want but please don't give me advices - start a new topic about your own planar speakers, "bro".
Sir I have last question....and please don't get annoyed.

Will angle driver help me in planar magnet condition like those in normal headphones.

I am a speaker guy, and trying the way you did your headphone...just asking

I am sorry, for all the old things I did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back