DIY OTL with 12AU7 type tubes???
Mar 26, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 6
I found this one at Elektor which looks interesting. Also, I believe that you can build an Aikido with 12AU7 tubes - the Aikido is a nice design. So is Kurt Strain's amp over at HeadWize.

I'm sure there are more, but those are interesting. The Kurt Strain would be a good project, provided that you want to do the chassis work for a point-to-point amp. It involves much more labor and planning than skill. The Aikido is a little more complicated, but you can order a PCB for it.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 6
The akidos are a pimptastic circuit. Dr gilmore has even mentioned them quite favorably in a few posts!

you may prefer building the ocatal version, and getting 6sn7--12au7 adapter sockets. Although adapter sockets are something of a band-aid fix, this gets many more options, and 6sn7 is a nicer tube than the 12au7. if you get bored with that, you can build custom adapters and rebuild the boards to use 5687 or whatever as outputs.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 6
It doesnt have to be the 12AU7, I just have a ton of them sitting around. I like the Akido best so far. The simplicity and PTP wiring of the Kurt Strain is attractive as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back