DIY noob!
Jul 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by acvtre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other important questions.
Does anyone have a bunch of opamps to suggest? Something like a must-have list.
What are the differences among signal, buffer and ground?
And...I need reccomandations for books.
biggrin.gif
Would be better in simple english.

UP!

Jul 20, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #17 of 35
This should keep you busy for a week or two. I would check out the m³, which I built long before any cMoy.

You will have decisions to make about cases, wiring, and connectors (input, output, etc), but there are many, many choices in the DIY world.

THEN, have a look at Cavalli, Beezer, and GlassJar.

Then, just when you think your head will explode, have a look at Pete Millett's site, then you can return to the friendly confines of DIY here at Head-fi... hopefully brimming with focused questions.

popcorn.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should keep you busy for a week or two. I would check out the m³, which I built long before any cMoy.

You will have decisions to make about cases, wiring, and connectors (input, output, etc), but there are many, many choices in the DIY world.

THEN, have a look at Cavalli, Beezer, and GlassJar.

Then, just when you think your head will explode, have a look at Pete Millett's site, then you can return to the friendly confines of DIY here at Head-fi... hopefully brimming with focused questions.

popcorn.gif

Thank you for the links but I already know all these sites. My question was another. I need something like a manual that could help me in audio DIY.

Jul 22, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Is good enough the book "the art of electronics"?

I liked it a lot (at least the first 7ish chapters, didn't read further
wink.gif
).

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifthanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked it a lot (at least the first 7ish chapters, didn't read further
wink.gif
).

Cool, but actually what does it talk about? I mean, it's only theory or it teaches you also something about the practice, or it's maybe too general?

Jul 22, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #23 of 35
I'm no EE so this might be off but: at first basic circuits and passive elemts like resistors and caps are explained. Most of the time there are example circuits.
Transistors/FETS are explained: how they work, and what they do in different circuits. How to make them amplify voltage/current, all with examples.

I believe you could find this book or parts of it in pdf form. this would be a good way to see if you like it, before buying/lending it.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Well I've studied anything at school about the theory and the most important theorems but nothing about the practice.
Everything I know about the practice come from tangentsoft website and its tutorial videos.
I know the basic jargon but I can't read a complex schematic, I can onl deduce something, for example and I know almost nothing about the practice, as I said.
In other cases I can read something of the schematic but I don't know how to apply what I read on the board or PCB.
So the main problem is the practice. Do you think is still good the book you suggested me?

You can't read about the practice really, you can practice the practice. This is equally true regardless if we are talking about math or electronics - at some point you have to stop reading about things and start doing things.

Swallow your pride and start with the for dummies book :wink:

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Thank you for the links but I already know all these sites. My question was another. I need something like a manual that could help me in audio DIY.

Ok, here are a BUNCH of free manuals.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

51oEZHxljOL.jpg

book1.jpg

These will get you started on layout and design.

Look, you are going to have to put in the time to figure things out.

There is no step-by-step manual to building amps. You're going to have to put in the time to figuring things out yourself as well as ask questions in the forums. Yes, there's a learning curve. Yes, you can learn how to do it. No, no one has written a manual that just tells you where to solder.

You are going to have to put some time into this.

It is worth it. But you're going to have to step up to the plate and stop looking for a paint-by-numbers solution.

We're here to help you out, but you have to take the first steps yourself.

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #27 of 35
OK, thank you so much uncle erik and pabbi1 and everyone who helped me. I really appreciate your help.
@ uncle erik: the manuals you have quoted are usefull only for tube amps?

Jul 25, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #28 of 35
acvtre, I started out about where you are (except that I could find my way around a schematic reasonably well) and I would second those who suggested building a cmoy first. Tangent's instructions are great and easy to follow. You might want to move on to an A47 (How to build the Apheared 47 Headphone amplifier for Grado Headphones). These are great ways to learn working with schematics. I went on to build a PPA successfully, but I don't think it would have been a good first project - and the YJPS is definitely not for newbies.

Jul 25, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #29 of 35
dood, I can see that you're just too exited and just want to get right to the good stuff... im sorry but it's just not like that.

if you want to learn, start by building a simple, cheap, reliable project. a cmoy is just perfect.

there are many many many things that you need to learn in order to get to the point that you want to get to, and first on that list is learning how to read a schematic, thats like the most basic knowledge you'll need. if you dont know how to read and UNDERSTAND a schematic you wont be able to build anything, mostly because as a noob you WILL run into problems, and you need to know what you did wrong and where.

Do it the fun way, go step by step, don't rush it, just build a simple and cheap Cmoy, when you finally get it to work you'll have learnt a great deal of really valuable stuff, like how to read and understand a schematic, how op-amps works, what is ground, what is a negative and positive voltage, whats a bias voltage, whats oscilation, how to solve it, whats dc offset and why you dont want it in your phones (by the way, never test your builds on your expensive phones, use crappy earbuds or something like that for testing) how gain works, how to wire pots, how to solder caps, resistors, diodes, ICs and possibly your fingers....

Then you can go onto things like a ppa or a mini3, or a crossfeed or many other things.

Cheers!

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3amsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dood, I can see that you're just too exited and just want to get right to the good stuff... im sorry but it's just not like that.

if you want to learn, start by building a simple, cheap, reliable project. a cmoy is just perfect.

there are many many many things that you need to learn in order to get to the point that you want to get to, and first on that list is learning how to read a schematic, thats like the most basic knowledge you'll need. if you dont know how to read and UNDERSTAND a schematic you wont be able to build anything, mostly because as a noob you WILL run into problems, and you need to know what you did wrong and where.

Do it the fun way, go step by step, don't rush it, just build a simple and cheap Cmoy, when you finally get it to work you'll have learnt a great deal of really valuable stuff, like how to read and understand a schematic, how op-amps works, what is ground, what is a negative and positive voltage, whats a bias voltage, whats oscilation, how to solve it, whats dc offset and why you dont want it in your phones (by the way, never test your builds on your expensive phones, use crappy earbuds or something like that for testing) how gain works, how to wire pots, how to solder caps, resistors, diodes, ICs and possibly your fingers....

Then you can go onto things like a ppa or a mini3, or a crossfeed or many other things.

Cheers!

Ok, can you suggest me a manual or something like that and where to find the stuff needed for the cmoy with a step by step guide?
Tangent doesn't sell anymore the stuff needed. Actually the problem is that I don'w know where to find the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back