DIY Mystery
May 6, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #31 of 43
I was aware of scootermafias dubious history. Luvdunhill illustrates for me the perfect response, direct, fair and to the point.

May 7, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #32 of 43
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

May 7, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #33 of 43
I'm not ashamed to discuss cable building methods when something goes wrong. You all are acting like you've never ever had one cable building mishap. What happened was weird.

I'm sorry if I didn't have the entire Cardas catalog memorized and so I didn't know about their screw on strain reliever. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't include those with the plugs though, seeing as no plugs should be totally without any sort of strain relief. Costs like a few cents more for them to throw those in. The best possible strain relief would be one that squeezes from all directions like the Neutrik one.

MASantos - get off my ass. If you are thinking I'm on headfi looking for more business, you are wrong. The threads I posted were to help people, I was dumb enough to have a few generic pictures on there that I removed, and I know not to do that. I've seen "recable guides" by people that I know are MOTs and do stuff on here for profit.

May 7, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cardas RCA plugs have NO STRAIN RELIEF OF ANY KIND. You have to glue them, hence the epoxy flood I saw when I removed the barrel on a Moon cable I used to own, that sucker was well glued.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wrong. For a MOT you should get your information correct. Cardas does sell a strain relief. Part number is SRCA SR.

And even without that strain relief, you don't necessarily have to use glue to secure the wires well enough inside the connector. Anybody making and selling cables at a premium should already know enough to be able to figure out how to do it, regardless of whether or not they still prefer to use glue (I'm not saying one is better than the other).

May 7, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

I'm sorry if I didn't have the entire Cardas catalog memorized and so I didn't know about their screw on strain reliever..

best not make absolute claims in capital letters then, huh?

May 7, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

I'm not ashamed to discuss cable building methods when something goes wrong. You all are acting like you've never ever had one cable building mishap. What happened was weird.

You should when you're commercially making cables..

Quote:

MASantos - get off my ass. If you are thinking I'm on headfi looking for more business, you are wrong. The threads I posted were to help people, I was dumb enough to have a few generic pictures on there that I removed, and I know not to do that.

I doubt it.

Quote:

I've seen "recable guides" by people that I know are MOTs and do stuff on here for profit.

Pointing fingers isn't useful, you might as well give us the names and sites they run for their cable business.

May 7, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #37 of 43
Not saying the recable guides aren't altruistic, just that my motives are the same - helping people build cables.

Another way you could do strain relief would be with clever use of zip ties, or some other sort of tie, sure is easier to reverse than gluing.

Thanks for pointing me to those strain relieving things from Cardas, I know I deserve mockery for not knowing about them but they should be free or built into the plug. They're just a small piece of metal but they cost $4.50 each. Still, the SRCA plugs are a tremendous value.

Fitz, I know you mod people's stuff for them, and I'm sure you charge for your hard work. But your K1000 post is valuable and although it has pictures of the sort of work you do, and someone that is cynical might say that it's just you advertising your skills/great ideas, that's not how me or any kind person would look at your thread - the thread has useful information on it to help others.

May 7, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean this one:
rolleyes.gif
?
wink.gif

I was hoping for an animated gif kinda thing, but it will have to do.

Glad to see the flame war is continuing.
popcorn.gif
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #39 of 43
What's so good about this plug that requires one to purchase the strain relief?

Confused a bit by the tremendous value comment, when you also say they should include the strain relief for free.

May 7, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #40 of 43
The Cardas plug is pretty nice since it's a rhodium + silver over brass plug with a good gripping system, it is beautiful to look at, and Cardas makes pretty nice stuff, yet I can get them for only $11 each. WBT charges a damn fortune for their plugs although they're definitely worth paying up for if you have the money. I think the strain relief should be free just because it's silly to have to order something that's so vital separately and if they just included it in the price and raised the price a little, i'd still think the SRCA is underpriced. I like their plug design better than screw-barrel locking plugs, but the LOK plugs from HGA have a very solder-friendly design whereas it appears the Cardas plug is meant to be used with single-conductor coax style interconnect wire with the braid shield going onto the barrel as the return wire...there's really no other place for it. If you order the LOK plugs you'll be delighted at how well thought out everything about them is.

Not many really nice rhodium plugs out there for $11, that's all, and I don't really mind the inconvenience of some of their design points at $11 per.

I'm done listening to the usual people that show up here and flame me. If I lived in the Netherlands, rather than boring Oklahoma, I think I'd find better things to do than make fun of me. I already apologized for pissing people off in the past, but it's never good enough.

May 7, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Of course we did, but we don't sell cables commercially...

Quote:

I'm sorry if I didn't have the entire Cardas catalog memorized and so I didn't know about their screw on strain reliever. It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't include those with the plugs though, seeing as no plugs should be totally without any sort of strain relief. Costs like a few cents more for them to throw those in. The best possible strain relief would be one that squeezes from all directions like the Neutrik one.

No one said you must memorize an entire catalog, but don't say things when you're not sure about what you're saying...

Quote:

MASantos - get off my ass. If you are thinking I'm on headfi looking for more business, you are wrong. The threads I posted were to help people, I was dumb enough to have a few generic pictures on there that I removed, and I know not to do that. I've seen "recable guides" by people that I know are MOTs and do stuff on here for profit.

Are you telling me that you didn't know those nice pictures and always refering that "you did a cable for a client..." where inocent words and pictures? That you didn't know what you were doing? Yeah, right...

Those recable guides don't usualy include references to the MOT's clients or pricing information, they are ONLY recable guides.

Quote:

Fitz, I know you mod people's stuff for them, and I'm sure you charge for your hard work. But your K1000 post is valuable and although it has pictures of the sort of work you do, and someone that is cynical might say that it's just you advertising your skills/great ideas, that's not how me or any kind person would look at your thread - the thread has useful information on it to help others.

Again, Fitz doesn't make any reference to having a business or pricing or how he built a cable for a client...

Quote:

... it is beautiful to look at...

And how does that improve the sound??
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #42 of 43
Quote:

I'm done listening to the usual people that show up here and flame me. If I lived in the Netherlands, rather than boring Oklahoma, I think I'd find better things to do than make fun of me. I already apologized for pissing people off in the past, but it's never good enough.

What does that have to do with anything?
Dude, I would help you out in no time if it weren't for you making cables commercially.
But the fact is, you do. And when things go south you come here and ask for advice.
IMO a real pro should figure the problem out on his/her own, fix it and learn from it so that it never happens again.

May 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #43 of 43
I tried to explain it but I couldn't, that's why I posted a thread. Then you all say MOTs can't make mistakes. I was only curious if other people had a short they couldn't actually see. I may be a "pro" but some people are more experienced than me, obviously. I ask a legitimate question and you all just dwell on the past.

I say the SRCA looks good because it's coated in precious metals which is an indication of its quality, that it is very conductive on the outside. The fact that it looks good correlates with it being well made out of nice materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back