DIY Mystery
May 6, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love how a person who builds cables for sale comes around asking questions about building cables...
rolleyes.gif

popcorn.gif

May 6, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me throw this out a little broader.

Does everyone glue the ends up?

I must be doing something wrong here.

The only time I have used glue in my connectors is on iPOD LOD, those little pins are very small and given that it is on an iPOD that means more physical abuse, I feel I should have a little extra strength inside the 30pin connector. I use hot glue for this.

May 6, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love how a person who builds cables for sale comes around asking questions about building cables...
rolleyes.gif

Bulllseye
beerchug.gif

I only use hot glue to secure those tiny tiny pins on a LOD. If you need to glue your mini's and RCA's.. you're doing it wrong.

May 6, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #22 of 43
Cardas RCA plugs have NO STRAIN RELIEF OF ANY KIND. You have to glue them, hence the epoxy flood I saw when I removed the barrel on a Moon cable I used to own, that sucker was well glued.

The only acceptable explanation so far is that there was a solder bridge that got pulled out when I pulled out the glue, but that solder would have had to have gone really far to connect the center pin to the body, and the only place that could have occurred is about 1cm back from where the center pin soldering actually took place, making it really unlikely.

The RCA plug isn't faulty since it's cleaned up and it's fine now. I've used Cardas RCAs before and the only reason I post this is because it is near impossible to short them out, they're really well designed, and I could not identify the short when I took the plug apart.

May 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're doing it wrong.

Yeah, everyone knows hot glue causes the highs to be less detailed (I wish there was a smiley for *roll eyes*). Please do explain how it is wrong if one wishes to be extra-sure of their strain relief.

May 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cardas RCA plugs have NO STRAIN RELIEF OF ANY KIND

wrong. For a MOT you should get your information correct. Cardas does sell a strain relief. Part number is SRCA SR.

srca_sr.jpg

May 6, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, everyone knows hot glue causes the highs to be less detailed (I wish there was a smiley for *roll eyes*). Please do explain how it is wrong if one wishes to be extra-sure of their strain relief.

Dude, as in, to keep your solder joints in place.
As for strain relief, you do know there is something like adhesive lined heatshrink?

And there is something like a smiley for roll eyes
rolleyes.gif

May 6, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you mean this one:
rolleyes.gif
?
wink.gif

May 6, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #27 of 43
Guys your treatment of scoot seems unfair, in general the tone directed at him could be nicer. Reminds me being back in the schoolyard.

Let's all play nice.

May 6, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #29 of 43
He sells cables etc on his site and asks here for advice when something goes wrong. Does that seem to you as someone who's experienced enough to commercially sell cables?

And after the "eBay Incident" I do have "mixed" feelings about him, yeah.
I think that goes for all the frequent DIY-visiting head-fi'ers.

May 6, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys your treatment of scoot seems unfair, in general the tone directed at him could be nicer. Reminds me being back in the schoolyard.

Let's all play nice.

Unfair is to start threads in the DIY forum "explaining" how to do cables or similar stuff and then promote one's business in these threads.
Unfair is trying to promote your products in a way that violates the terms of use of the forums trying to save the 20$ of a mall-fi ad...(which will give you more public exposal, as many members don't even visit the DIY section)

I'm not sure if you were aware of this practice by scootermafia. In my book it's just wrong...

And furthermore, if you're a member of trade and your business is building and selling cables, it doesn't sound like a good strategy to start a thread asking for help dealing with a cable problem...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back