DIY K1000-type headphones
Nov 21, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #16 of 25
This is all so cool...to have it work so well and sound so good. Time to start your own headphone company
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by theodouma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 3" speaker is only 80-15Khz, so you should mis a lot of bass I think, or at least the deepest baselines..

Depends how they are tested, and how strict they test (±3db, ±2db, ±1db, ...).
The specifications don't tell.

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about weight? Aren't they heavy?

They're pretty heavy. I'll be sticking with my Denons for long listening sessions. The drivers themselves are not too heavy as they use small neodyium magnets, but my frame is made out of wood with some fur padding. It's very fury. When I put them on it looks like I am wearing a fox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are you using for the frame? I'm going to be putting up a pair of MB Quart QP85's for sale soon which would be ideal to hack apart I would think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wood and fur.
smily_headphones1.gif

Using frames from a cheap set of headphones is a great idea!

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #19 of 25
/jumping on bandwagon

So what did you mount the drivers to? How did you mount them? Hey, a pic of the 'phones would be cool!

Please post some pictures, "...or I shall taunt you a second time-a!"

Nov 21, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends how they are tested, and how strict they test (±3db, ±2db, ±1db, ...).
The specifications don't tell.

they may (probaby) also test with the expectation that they are being used as a speaker. At headphone levels, the frequency response could be anywhere on the map.

Nov 22, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're pretty heavy. I'll be sticking with my Denons for long listening sessions. The drivers themselves are not too heavy as they use small neodyium magnets, but my frame is made out of wood with some fur padding. It's very fury. When I put them on it looks like I am wearing a fox.

Come on, you have to show us. You don't have to wear them, just take a picture.

And I think that's totally cool. A lot of people here build amps, many build sources, but only a very few have built headphones. Let's see them!

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #24 of 25
Come one, please show us some pictures.
I think it sounds like quite fun, but just from reading your posts its hard to tell what they actually look like. It can hardly look worse than the Phonodome (something) on the pervious page.
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #25 of 25
Hey, I know I'm reviving a loooong dead thread, but this topic has recently become very interesting to me. I'm wondering how hard it would be to reproduce the K1000 driver ourselves, or at least something very similar to it. Does anyone have any idea what kind of excursion (in mm) the K1k driver has, pole to pole? I'd greatly appreciate any light some one could shed on the subject as Google isn't turning anything up for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back