DIY Ground Box Thread
May 1, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #1,622 of 1,689
Errrrr………..nope.
Same dudes who wouldn't believe how piezoelectricity is used in a simple quartz watch. Or their dac....or computer....

Actually………….I utilised piezoelectric sensors in extremely sensitive vibrational detection equipment and applied it in my employment at Gates Power Transmissions along with secondments to Siemens for work on PLC development but then again i was just a lowly Electronic/Mechanical engineer so you lot crack on with your magic crystal boxes and perhaps you’ll have a scientific breakthrough that will lead to a new branch of physics and the coveted Nobel prize.

At least your not ****8ng around with earthing rods for mains powered hifi so there’s no chance of actual deaths occurring amongst yourselves :wink:

May 1, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #1,623 of 1,689
Same dudes who wouldn't believe how piezoelectricity is used in a simple quartz watch. Or their dac....or computer....
pretty sure most people know the fact quartz is used in watches, but the people that know about the "reverse pyroelectric/piezoelectric effect" are probably far less

also that piezoelectric materials are used in solar panels show how powerful they are, this is also where it clicked for me,
tho i never seen some measurements about the reverse pyroelectric/piezoelectric effect that should actually "consume" electricity (and therefore noise on our grounds)

but if the normal piezoelectric/pyroelectric properties can be that strong, i dont think its wrong to assume the reverse effect can be just as powerful

Maybe it would be possible to build a test rig with a ADC (with a test tone), running the bare plus pole wire through some piezoelectric material and comparing the ADC levels you get? tho i still think you still need fairly large amounts of contact area but im still unsure if you would need to connect both sides of the crystal to both + and - to actually "trigger" the reverse effect, but a electromagnetic field around the crystal (in the right orientation) might be enough

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #1,624 of 1,689
At least your not ****8ng around with earthing rods for mains powered hifi so there’s no chance of actual deaths occurring amongst yourselves :wink:
ah i read about these too, tho i also heared of some device that makes two ground rods safe to use...

but you are right, using two rods just connected to ground is indeed dangerous from what i read, i think it will mess with your FI's ability to reliably trigger because it cant reliably "see" all ground currents flowing... dont quote me here, tho, this is what i remember from memory, and my memory isnt the best :D

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #1,625 of 1,689
I'll take observed & repeatable experiences with my magic boxes over a random-internet-person's credential wagging every day of the week. I'm just here to improve my stereo & have some fun in the process. Not sure what's going on in your head, but you took an off-the-cuff joke wayyyy too personally, and it's highlighting a lot of insecurities. Just remember that these magic boxes are not a threat to your livelihood or personal wellbeing.
:relaxed:

May 1, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #1,626 of 1,689
I'll take observed & repeatable experiences with my magic boxes over a random-internet-person's credential wagging every day of the week.

Ouch :wink: , nah you’re right……I’m just another gob online…..but………believing in magic boxes, whilst it is a personal choice, could lead to breakdown of rationalist thought process, it’s one step closer to believing that trump is the portend of the second coming of Christ

May 1, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #1,627 of 1,689
May 2, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #1,628 of 1,689
Incorporated into selected Furutech products, NCF features a special crystalline material that has two ‘active’ properties. First, it generates negative ions that eliminate static. Second, it converts thermal energy into far infrared.
i think they actually speak about tourmaline, lol, the answer was so close

___

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/242/1/012017/pdf
strange research to optimize fuel :D

4. Conclusion
(1) The infrared radiation properties of natural black tourmaline in different particle size were
researched and analyzed ,and the result shows that the infrared absorption spectrum of the black
tourmaline is stable and the infrared radiation characteristic is similar under room temperature.
(2) The infrared radiation composite was prepared by a certain percentage of black tourmaline,
tourmaline powder, drivate, spinel, ceramic powder, clay, and other composite materials, and then the
diesel oil was activated with the infrared radiation composite. The result shows that the interfacial
tension and the viscosity of diesel significantly reduce of and the flash point, gross calorific value and
net calorific value of sample have no substantial change. The infrared radiation activation would not
damage the oil sample and can effectively improve the physicochemical property of fuel oil

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #1,629 of 1,689
2 year ago, I loaded space inside a cheap CDP fully with quartz crystal (except motion parts).
I heard the change of output. I also heard the high pitch noise after shut down (it was completely silence). It jut silence again when unplug the source.
Its lifespand ends after about 1month

May 3, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #1,630 of 1,689
Lol... found this video... this is awesome work right there, where someone builds microphones with rochelle salt and quartz :) the endresult actually doesnt sound that bad...

May 3, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #1,631 of 1,689
the different frequency responses might show why some prefer rochelle salt :) this goes on my list of things i buy too

the thing with the frequency responses is also this: the quartz one looks kinda "spikey" ... and if we spin the theory a bit more... i usally notice with EQ (unless the high Q is "nessecary") that i generally prefer low Q EQ's .... i know maybe a wild theory (and it might not even apply because crystal size determines this probably too) but this could explain why i dont like quartz

Also some video claimed rochelle salt is actually a better piezoelectric material than tourmaline... which was new to me

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #1,632 of 1,689
May 3, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #1,633 of 1,689
Also i bought some more prehnit, there is currently a sale going on and im pretty sure these are legit: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005006773909370.html around 3 dollars for 100g if anyone is interested
i was also able to scratch the prehnit with quartz (mohs 6 vs 7)

i bought around 1kg now ... they will go into the mix i put into the power distribution i wanna build :)

i bought this one used for 30 bucks including shipping i wanna pimp up a bit, its a 19" rack style one :D
Screenshot from 2024-05-04 03-30-44.png

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #1,634 of 1,689
Throughout the years I have read a lot of different theories about natural crystals from science papers and audio manufacturers. So far none have really helped me understand why they effect the reproduction of an audio system. At least not to my satisfaction. What I do know is they do effect audio reproduction, but not by removing noise. I am starting to understand the cause/application and effect. I just have not had the time to devote to it. The other audio tweaks I spent a lot of time on because of how much of an effect they had to my audio system.

I would really like to hear or read more about best practice or application and its effect. Starting from scratch is a long process, hearing from others more experienced utilizing crystals to tune a system would save a lot time.

May 4, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #1,635 of 1,689
Throughout the years I have read a lot of different theories about natural crystals from science papers and audio manufacturers. So far none have really helped me understand why they effect the reproduction of an audio system. At least not to my satisfaction. What I do know is they do effect audio reproduction, but not by removing noise. I am starting to understand the cause/application and effect. I just have not had the time to devote to it. The other audio tweaks I spent a lot of time on because of how much of an effect they had to my audio system.

I would really like to hear or read more about best practice or application and its effect. Starting from scratch is a long process, hearing from others more experienced utilizing crystals to tune a system would save a lot time.
for me most of the stuff is also unclear... tourmaline chinch caps placed on speakers could also induce voltages to ground in theory .... im just pretty sure that there is "some interaction" going on and its strange that i always seem to like the effect

also i dont wanna exclude the theory about "hearing" the crystals vibrate which might have an effect depending on how sensitive someone is, thats also where some of the esoteric crystals claims would start to kind of make sense but... yea

this is also where it would make sense since different sized or shaped (polished vs nature) crystals could alter the "frequency response", and i guess a polished stone will always have a smoother frequencyresponse than a irregular shape, maybe thats why the prehnite i got also sounds "smoother" to me, i will double check this with the 3kg polished tourmaline stones i bought :) also i choose a mix that includes 0,5cm to 2,5cm pieces... just to make things a bit more diverse/"broadband" if this really plays a role, i will report on this :)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back