DIY Ground Box Thread
Apr 25, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #1,606 of 1,635
I would be cautious looking for crystals from China. They're known best for manufacturing synthetic materials, not digging raw/rare materials. India is a much better source of natural gems, I outsource mine from Etsy, where are many reputable sellers.
i had a look around etsy and found actually some cheap powder/course grain seller...

i there bought some pink tourmaline and flourite 0,5-1mm grain for 13 euro for 50g each

pink tourmaline to test it against the black one i have (tho, i have read that black tourmaline is more effective)
and flourite to test my theory about the non-conductor property

flourite is "conducting" but its so high resistance that it "looks" like no connection ( probably some mega ohms, therefore the name, non-conductor, i guess we could also look at this from a "bad isolator" standpoint)
but i wonder if a rca plug filled with a tourmaline and flourite mix could actually interact with eachother because of that
i still have to test the same with shungite powder, it actually can conduct but i need to isolate the plus pole on my next rca caps for it

i also bought some UV glue in different colors to see how fancy i can get the rca caps...
i also found some 8mm messing round plates 1mm on thick on aliexpress to close the end of RCA caps EMI/RFI safe, i think i will either screw the plate in place with the right connector and fill the gaps with some copper tape or will try to solder them if it works ok... then use the UV glue in different colors to give them a color on the end... (white for quartz, green for phenit, orange for topaz etc

i was actually thinking about this and if i would sell chinch caps... its probably best to offer them in different colors with just one crystal each (or maybe some special ones like shungite+tourmaline or such)

IMO mixes are hard control... it probably is hard enough to get the same effect from quartz from two batches and it would actually allow to mix and match the different crystal plug (for the enduser) to create his own "mix"
also the testing with mixes is way harder ... i kinda wanna keep it simple, specially because the tourmaline plugs work pretty well on their own

atleast personally even if someone claims to found the "perfect mix" in the end you get what you get, either you like it or dont, individual rca plugs seem much more universal here

the only thing i havent found yet is the perfect cheap rca plug for this... :D these here look reasonably https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005004571617873.html and they have a real hifi chinese brand behind them, no obvious knockoffs

Apr 26, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #1,607 of 1,635
today the
audiophile rock,
the cheap small aliexpress citrine orgonites
and 2x 100g phenit
arrived

i had a listen to all 3 (on top of either one speaker for the audiophile rock, or both speakers for phenit and orgonite) here are my expressions:

- small citrine orgonites.... i didnt notice any effect with a "orgonite" other than what i already expierenced with crystals on electronics alone (or inside a rca plug), IMO the effect of citrine was still very close to amethyst,rosequarz, clear quarz, the only thing i seem to notice is that more quarz has more effect, smaller particles have higher effect too
im not too sure if quarz is really a improvement... imo it makes highs a little irritating

- phenit: more subtle than quarz for sure, but i like the effect! it seems to smooth edges in the music and makes bass a little deeper, overall it seems like a real improvement to me, i will definitely make some phenit rca plugs
IMO this one kinda has the effect of tourmaline but without an excessive "calming" effect the tourmaline brings tho the tourmaline i had to compare was small particles while the phenit was 5-10mm stones, could be the size difference that is most audible here

-audiophile rock "Alien2 Wormhole"
though one, it definitely seems to have an effect like other crystal tweaks BUT... i didnt like the effect, IMO this is a issue with mixes... one person may like it while others dont.. and i dont feel like spending a few hundred dollars on audiophile rocks to find the right mix for me
overall the effect was also not that strong, more on subtle side, probably because of the size..

hopefully the topaz arrives tomorrow
i also bought 8 pieces of the rca plugs i posted above yesterday, they seem to be one of the best layouts for my usecase
:)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #1,608 of 1,635
Hmm i think the topaz was indeed fake, for me it seems like it "adds" something to the audio just like other quarz variants which i dont seem to get with tourmaline and phenit... and in fact most "citrine" is actually burned amethyst, so there is also that

EDIT: i just compared it to the "citrine" orgonites i have, yea they sound similar to me

i will wait for the 9V battery (probably will arrive the next few couple of days, i bought a via usb c rechargeable 9V battery on aliexpress) i ordered for the diamond tester and see what mohs grade i get out of these to confirm my listening expierence
quartz should be mohs 7 and topaz mohs 8

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #1,609 of 1,635
Hmm the tester i bought is actually just good for diamonds. which was just clear after reading the manual... i should have done more research here before buying
The 1 to 8 scale (one light each and 2 additional lights) on the diamond tester made me think it shows mohs which is not true

there are these: https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/1341646863/hartebestimmung-nach-mohs-harte-1-bis-10
i should have thought about this :D

Tho... i could also test my luck and just buy "actual" topaz and try to scratch the aliexpress topaz, if its quartz of some kind it will get scratched when the topaz is actually real
https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/752111675/naturlicher-imperial-topas-rohedelstein (sale going on, 2 days left, tho to germany shipping is 1-2 months)

i think i might just test my luck here and go with the 100g topaz from india, or else the mohs test kit will "probably" just get one time used

the topaz on the etsy link above actually looks quite different to the more bright yellow citrine i usually see, so this might be also a good indication, it actually looks closer to some Amber

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #1,610 of 1,635
Jesus Christ……………… :astonished: did any of you folk study physics at school?…………. You only need to understand the basics to realise James Clerk Maxwell” will be spinning in his grave at the utter madness I have read in the previous few pages.

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #1,611 of 1,635
Jesus Christ……………… :astonished: did any of you folk study physics at school?
Yes, they told us about the piezoelectric effect :p ...
which works like this:
crystals that are piezoelectric can create electricity if you change its temperature, guess what, if you apply electricity it generates heat in the crystal "burning" some of the electricity applied

of course these are minor changes in temperature, thats why more crystals and smaller crystal size seems to be more effective, smaller crystal size because: in relation to the electromagnetic field of the electricity, the crystal grain actually has to be aligned right or it cant work, now if you basicly make "crystal powder" your chance of getting the crystals aligned right to the magnet field is much greater and more consistent

to this also comes: once a crystal is aligned right in its initial state, electricity applied will change the crystal structure (this is actually what generates the heat), at some point if you dont move the crystals the crystal structure will be in its "final state" at some point in relation ship to the electromagnet field, then you actually have to MOVE the crystals around to make them actually effective again

for my tourmaline rca caps i noticed that if i tap these on the table each 2-3 months, so the crystals move around, the effect of them will be greater again, just to give a ballpark idea when you have to move them around (EDIT: now as i think about it, it might be also effective to warm your piezoelectric crystals up to change its structure again)

now all of the above just count for PIEZOELECTRIC crystals after doing some research on the topic (tho if i got some details wrong its because the research was done over the past 1-2 years and i might not remember each detail, but overall things i described should apply)

(and there is also ferroelectric and 1-2 other kind of crystals with different characteristics, you can synergize them...)

Im probably the only one in this thread that thinks about these things like this, but its somewhat common knowledge of grounding boxes that they use crystal that actually have some physical effects, i just try to explain the crazyness about the whole topic to myself to stay "kind of" sane

tho i also think about grounding "boxes" different, amir of ASR made some clear measurements showing how a grounding box (when the cable going to the box is some length long) can act as an antenna picking up interferences, thats hint enough for me to not persuit going this route... tho, in theory each cable and grounded case will "kindof" act as an antenna, but im still in believe that keeping things as tidy as possible is best (also building some metal shapes inside the grounding box is questionable)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #1,612 of 1,635
Yes, they told us about the piezoelectric effect :p ...
which works like this:
crystals that are piezoelectric can create electricity if you change its temperature, guess what, if you apply electricity it generates heat in the crystal "burning" some of the electricity applied

of course these are minor changes in temperature, thats why more crystals and smaller crystal size seems to be more effective, smaller crystal size because: in relation to the electromagnetic field of the electricity, the crystal grain actually has to be aligned right or it cant work, now if you basicly make "crystal powder" your chance of getting the crystals aligned right to the magnet field is much greater and more consistent

to this also comes: once a crystal is aligned right in its initial state, electricity applied will change the crystal structure (this is actually what generates the heat), at some point if you dont move the crystals the crystal structure will be in its "final state" at some point in relation ship to the electromagnet field, then you actually have to MOVE the crystals around to make them actually effective again

for my tourmaline rca caps i noticed that if i tap these on the table each 2-3 months, so the crystals move around, the effect of them will be greater again, just to give a ballpark idea when you have to move them around (EDIT: now as i think about it, it might be also effective to warm your piezoelectric crystals up to change its structure again)

now all of the above just count for PIEZOELECTRIC crystals after doing some research on the topic (tho if i got some details wrong its because the research was done over the past 1-2 years and i might not remember each detail, but overall things i described should apply)

(and there is also ferroelectric and 1-2 other kind of crystals with different characteristics, you can synergize them...)

Im probably the only one in this thread that thinks about these things like this, but its somewhat common knowledge of grounding boxes that they use crystal that actually have some physical effects, i just try to explain the crazyness about the whole topic to myself to stay "kind of" sane

tho i also think about grounding "boxes" different, amir of ASR made some clear measurements showing how a grounding box (when the cable going to the box is some length long) can act as an antenna picking up interferences, thats hint enough for me to not persuit going this route... tho, in theory each cable and grounded case will "kindof" act as an antenna, but im still in believe that keeping things as tidy as possible is best (also building some metal shapes inside the grounding box is questionable)

Good grief man, just because you say it like it is true doesn't make it true.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #1,613 of 1,635
Good grief man, just because you say it like it is true doesn't make it true.
Well... look the theory about piezoelectric up and tell me where im wrong, tho i dont wanna hear "but you dont hear a change in the end" this can each person decide for themself (who is curious enough to test it...)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #1,614 of 1,635
Ah well... minor flaw, Pyroelectricity = electricity -> heat and Piezoelectric = electricity -> mechanical stress ("vibration")

i should add these quotes from wikipedia " All known pyroelectric materials are also piezoelectric. " " Although artificial pyroelectric materials have been engineered, the effect was first discovered in minerals such as tourmaline. The pyroelectric effect is also present in bone and tendon.[18] "

This pic is also pretty helpful here, this also reminds me about the ceramics i wanted to compare against tourmaline...:
Screenshot from 2024-05-01 06-17-39.png

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #1,615 of 1,635

Perovskite​

https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/77740

this is actually a good source for some ferroelectrics used in the industry.... it might be worth testing them against our crystals.... but some seem poisonous, so caution...

May 1, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #1,616 of 1,635
Actually i might piss a few people off that wanna keep these "secrets" for themself.... im thinking about "Furutech NanoCrystal Technology" for example.... Bad guess ?

Edit:
found this in a shop description:
"NCF Nano Ceramic-Damping"

NFC stand for Nano-Crystal-Formula
i might be on to something here... or they just use actual crystal powder, which is a possibility too

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #1,617 of 1,635

Nano Crystal² Formula (NCF).​

Incorporated into selected Furutech products, NCF features a special crystalline material that has two ‘active’ properties. First, it generates negative ions that eliminate static. Second, it converts thermal energy into far infrared. Furutech combines this remarkable material with nano-sized ceramic particles and carbon powder for their additional ‘piezoelectric effect’ damping properties. The resulting Nano Crystal² Formula is the ultimate electrical and mechanical damping material. Created by Furutech, it is found exclusively in Furutech products.
No other manufacturer goes to the expense and effort that Furutech does to develop and produce high-end audio accessories and cables, and NCF is a cumulative result of 30 years of research and development of Pure Transmission high-end audio grade products. The very audible improvement to sound playback offered by this unique material is winning praise and support, not only from Furutech’s loyal following of “Pure Transmission” audio enthusiasts but also from numerous makers of audiophile products worldwide that incorporate NCF components in their products.

The word crystal, when applied to sound reproduction, is a truly desirable thing. When you describe a sound system as “crystal-clear,” for instance, you’re referring to its ability to offer an open and transparent window into the original recording event. You might also use this phrase to suggest a lower noise floor, less distortion, or anything else that gets you, the listener, closer to the music you love.
Furutech has produced decades of unrivaled innovation within the audio industry. We have enabled listeners all over the world to get closer to their favorite music by making it sound as crystal-clear as possible. We have accomplished this enviable feat through careful research based upon solid scientific principles, and exhaustive listening tests to confirm those results.
For example, we have pioneered the use of many revolutionary technologies in our legendary line of Furutech products—the Floating Field Damper, the Two-Stage Cryogenic and Demagnetization Process and many, many others. Now we’re set to transform the audio industry with crystals.

These aren’t “magic” crystals, mind you, but a new crystallized material that actively generates negative ions to eliminate static and converts thermal energy into far infrared. There is nothing mysterious about the way these crystals work—quite simply, they improve audio performance in a very specific and measurable way.
The story behind these crystals is simple as well. Years ago, a research discovered that these crystals affected sound quality in a certain way—a very positive way. After learning about this research, Furutech decided to test these crystals under strict conditions. After experimenting with countless forms and composites, the Furutech team found a proprietary use for this material that would excel in audio applications.
Furutech achieved this by combining these crystals with nano-sized ceramic particles and carbon powder to create a piezoelectric effect, which results in even better damping properties. This didn’t happen overnight—this material is the culmination of 30 years of steady and consistent research at Furutech.

We dubbed this material NCF, which stands for Nano Crystal² Formula.
It works so well, in fact, that many other audio companies in Japan are now working with Furutech to implement NCF into their products. Now it is time to introduce the NCF technology to the rest of the world.

----

i was sure they wouldnt talk about it openly, but they kinda do :) its from their website

May 1, 2024 at 1:58 AM Post #1,618 of 1,635
special crystalline material that has two ‘active’ properties. First, it generates negative ions that eliminate static. Second, it converts thermal energy into far infrared
Furutech combines this remarkable material with nano-sized ceramic particles and carbon powder for their additional ‘piezoelectric effect’ damping properties.

So, what could that "special crystalline" be?
im pretty sure the nano-sized ceramic is some kind of perovskite and carbon powder? well carbon powder i guess :D

May 1, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #1,619 of 1,635
Sorry for spamming here haha, i just think others might be interested too...

i just found this: https://world.n-ion.com/e/what-tourmaline-04.html which is actually new to me... could it be that thats why tourmaline on speakers seem pretty effective? i mean air pressure and vibrations/basshits are kind of applying pressure

tho i still have to verify if this is not some esoteric not backed up stuff...

EDIT1:
hmmm interesting ... this sounds fairly legit: https://www.healthline.com/health/negative-ions

the thing is, either rca tourmaline plugs (on the speakers) or putting tourmaline on the speakers was actually so far the biggest difference i heared, tho i think you can reach some point where its "too much"

i wonder wether all piezoelectric crystals can produce negative ions

EDIT2:
https://www.researchgate.net/post/Does_Tourmaline_Ever_Lose_Its_Ability_to_Generate_Negative_Ions

Does Tourmaline ever lose its ability to generate negetive ions?
"As any other piezoelectric material, Tourmaline crystals would loose this property if you heat them above depolarization temperature. At ambient temperature and pressure there is no reason to see any alteration for ever!"

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #1,620 of 1,635
Sorry to say, but everyone that makes fun of crystals (and people that believe in "some effect" of any kind) might have never done actual research, just stones right? .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back