DIY Exotic Supplies
Mar 5, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

pdupiano

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

I've been looking into getting some exotic lumber to work with like rosewood and after a few hours of internet surfing, I've found a relatively local store (about 2 hours away) called exoticwoods.com. I'm located in New Jersey and I was wondering if anyone knew of any stores closer to northern nj. I figured that getting wood shipped would just be too expensive, so I think local might be the best way to do things. I'd appreciate any help or feedback regarding the store if anyone has bought from them in the past.

Thanks,
Paul

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 10
Woodcraft may be local. They always have all sorts of exotics. Constantines is online, Woodworker's supply is online, Cocobolo Inc. is online (and has really good prices).

I've always gotten good wood from woodcraft. Got curved S4S wood from woodworker's supply. Wouldn't order S4S from them again, but if you have a jointer and planer it wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Edit:
By the way, rosewood comes in many varieties from pink (florida rosewood)to dark brown (honduran rosewood) and there are many other woods with very interesting grain structures. Best bet is to look at the stuff in a store and get the wood wet (a little spit works) to see what it'll look like when finished.

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 10
Hmmmm.... I have an excellent store in Dallas for SAmerican woods (Cocobolo, rosewood, mahogany, etc) and US stuff (mesquite, walnut, cherry, maple, oak), but exotics means only one thing: Cook Wood.

For instance, here is some Bolivian (or Honduran) rosewood...

Shipping is negligible for a nice piece of something exotic, like curly Koa, and based in Oregon.

Mar 6, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do have a phone book, right?

Heh, Funny Guy!!

Neat thread!

Thanx for the Cook Wood link!

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 10
I get my (unusual) lumber on eBay. Prices are decent, the selection is pretty good (if you're patient), and unless you need a *lot* of material, shipping really isn't too bad at all. It can be time-consuming, because a lot of the time the stuff isn't listed in an easily-searchable fashion, but it's usually worth it in the end.

I mean, right now there's about seven thousand listings under crafts / home arts & crafts / woodworking / lumber; a lot of those are small pieces for knife or pistol scales, or turning blanks, but that still leaves several thousand pieces or lots to browse through.

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #7 of 10
I've seen some pretty nice and very reasonable turning blanks on Ebay also. They sold for reasonable money. But I've never ordered and received any though. So it mainly is just Voyeuristic so far.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 10
I've found good wood on eBay, too. Do you have a Rockler nearby? You can find exotics there and some good deals on specials.

Also, do you have a power tool/construction supply place nearby? Not Home Depot or Lowe's, but a place that sells and services power tools. Go in there and ask where you can get exotic wood nearby. They will know. If they have a bulletin board up, you might want to post WTB for wood. Someone might want to unload some sticks in his garage.

Mar 6, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found good wood on eBay, too. Do you have a Rockler nearby? You can find exotics there and some good deals on specials.

Also, do you have a power tool/construction supply place nearby? Not Home Depot or Lowe's, but a place that sells and services power tools. Go in there and ask where you can get exotic wood nearby. They will know. If they have a bulletin board up, you might want to post WTB for wood. Someone might want to unload some sticks in his garage.

Yeah, nice idea! There are some Cabinet shops around here that work with Exotics also, probably another good place.

Mar 6, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 10
I've got the day off tomorrow so I'm going to try and ask around thanks for the advice Uncle Erik.

N_Maher... actually I don't have a phone book... we tore them up for a physics experiment.. all 4 of em.

Thanks for the links everybody, I might actually look into buy from ebay especially if they have small stock on hand. a lot of the sites I've seen seem to sell large quantities much more than I would need to make grado/beyer woodies. And yeah I realize rosewood varies quite a bit, I'd actually like to use the same kind used in guitars and clarinets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back