Mar 4, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #4,426 of 4,738
This cable fits PK shells.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802202728344.html

H0792c608299243b694425c8a418813cbC.jpg
keep forgetting to specify bulk cables
i make my own (i like braiding them)

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #4,427 of 4,738
Mar 6, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #4,428 of 4,738
I've been tempted to try building in those shells, I might have to put some in my next batch order.

Do you have those NSC Audio 80Ω LCPs by the way? If so how do they compare against yours?

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #4,429 of 4,738
I've been tempted to try building in those shells, I might have to put some in my next batch order.

Do you have those NSC Audio 80Ω LCPs by the way? If so how do they compare against yours?
I do have the NSC 80Ω LCPs. The 80 LCP has more bass energy overall which can hide some upper mids / treble sparkle. The 150 BG has IMO a more balanced sound. Bass is not as 'invasive' as the 80 LCP, so better detail retrieval. While the 80 LCP is fun to listen to, the bass wears on my ears after a while. I can listen to the 150 BG for longer lengths of time before taking a listening break.

As far as the build goes, I used stock tuning of the 150 BG drivers. I usually put together a build with stock tuning and listen to some music and see if anything needs to be adjusted. In this case I felt the tuning was just right. I didn't want to change it. The shell comes with the brass colored screens you stick on the back of the shell. If you listen without installing the screens the bass will be quite strong. As an experiment you can cover the back of the shell with your fingertips and vary the tuning. When you install the screens then you'll get the final tuning. What does this tell you? The hole at the back of the shell (not seen under the screen) can be modified to affect tuning as well as screens with different size holes may alter the sound as well.

Edit: The shells come with the female mmcx connector and 2 small wires. Be sure to clamp the mmcx connectors with alligator clips or hemostats, the connector will get hot from soldering. The soldering points are very small and it's very easy to create a solder bridge shorting out the center pin (positive) to the outer part of the mmcx connector where you also have to solder the negative wire. You might get some solder on the small threads as well which will make screwing the connector into the shell difficult.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #4,430 of 4,738
That's a great reply, thanks! I actually like the bass of the 80Ω, so maybe the 150BG might be a bit bright for me. Either way, it's interesting that the shell itself provides different tuning methods, I'll definitely have to experiment when I get some. I'm assuming there's scope for further tuning with those mesh screens used in IEMs.

I've actually done some MMCX soldering on these shells (which I've labelled 'Showerheads' due to the large, flat rear vent) which isn't too bad once you get the hang of it.

Mar 6, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #4,431 of 4,738
That's a great reply, thanks! I actually like the bass of the 80Ω, so maybe the 150BG might be a bit bright for me. Either way, it's interesting that the shell itself provides different tuning methods, I'll definitely have to experiment when I get some. I'm assuming there's scope for further tuning with those mesh screens used in IEMs.

I've actually done some MMCX soldering on these shells (which I've labelled 'Showerheads' due to the large, flat rear vent) which isn't too bad once you get the hang of it.
You/re welcome. I like bass too. If it was FF3 bass I could do that all day. The NSC 80 bass is a tad too much for me, but I'm glad you like it. The 150 BG bass is definitely there and the highs are not super bright either, you might like it for having a different palette so to speak.

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #4,433 of 4,738
3D Printed buds!
20230320_203249.jpg

I was trying to exploit helmhotlz resonance to increase bass response by integrating a very long bass tube into the shell. I don't think it was successful as the tube diameter has to be very small and is probably clogged, and the rear cavity is smaller than anticipated due to how much space the driver itself and the cable take up. I'm still happy I managed to get something usable though, and I've learned a lot in the short time I've spent designing them.

Edit as I almost forgot:
You/re welcome. I like bass too. If it was FF3 bass I could do that all day. The NSC 80 bass is a tad too much for me, but I'm glad you like it. The 150 BG bass is definitely there and the highs are not super bright either, you might like it for having a different palette so to speak.

@mt877 I built a pair with the 150BG! In a standard MX500 shell and stock, but it sounds pretty good. Very similar to the 130Bery (at least to my ears) that are my current favourites, definitely an easy recommend.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #4,434 of 4,738
Mar 21, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #4,435 of 4,738
3D Printed buds!

I was trying to exploit helmhotlz resonance to increase bass response by integrating a very long bass tube into the shell. I don't think it was successful as the tube diameter has to be very small and is probably clogged, and the rear cavity is smaller than anticipated due to how much space the driver itself and the cable take up. I'm still happy I managed to get something usable though, and I've learned a lot in the short time I've spent designing them.

Edit as I almost forgot:

@mt877 I built a pair with the 150BG! In a standard MX500 shell and stock, but it sounds pretty good. Very similar to the 130Bery (at least to my ears) that are my current favourites, definitely an easy recommend.
Very cool with the 3D printing. If you are into 3D printing, @ValSuki under a different nym (AsciiSuki) released a free to use 3D earbud shell under Creative Commons licensing. Here's the link for the free 3D file download: AsciiSuki's DIY Flat-head earbud (15.4mm).

Description from the website:
THIS IS FOR FLAT HEAD DRIVERS ONLY!!!

Requirements:
  • 15.4mm driver
  • Cable to attach the driver to
  • Tuning foam
  • Glue/Resin (to attach the driver skirting to the shell)
A 3D printable earbud shell that was based off the Qian39. Modified later with similar already existing shells such as the mx500 and my own alterations. If you have no idea what this is, its a classic earbud! With massive communities behind making their own. Come join us!
Here's a pic of what they look like.
boods.webp

Those 150BG drivers are easy to work with. They sound great in MX500 and the NSC metal shell. I still say you should give the 150BG and NSC metal shell a try... LOL.

Apr 2, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #4,436 of 4,738
My new version of RIOBuds NewWave v2 :) The most longest N-tube in earbuds ever :wink:
IMG_20230402_235220.jpg

IMG_20230327_132143.jpg

IMG20230324174906.jpg

Dual acoutics sound system tube:
1) long tube - ~35mm;
2) small tube - ~11m.
2pin and mmcx version.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #4,437 of 4,738
Planar earbuds on the way! I'll most likely have to create a custom faceplate for this type of driver, but I'll check how it sounds with the MX500 faceplate first, hehe :)

Also, the driver didn't fit the MX500 shell, so I had to make one out of wood with lots of drilling and sanding, still one more side left though. I'll post an update when it's finished!

Attachments

• fc189986-64e8-46cd-b5cb-3736a43812b6.jpg
    fc189986-64e8-46cd-b5cb-3736a43812b6.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #4,438 of 4,738
[...]

15.4mm 600 ohm Beryllium Flat Headphone Speakers High Frequency Driver Unit Speakers for MX500 DIY​

HTB1nFGbbBGw3KVjSZFwq6zQ2FXav.jpg
Well if you want to make a bet with some in-ear earphone fanatic that earbuds will never have same amount of bass then here you are! They will make them cry in despair and run if they still can after receiving low range shockwave in their ears.
As a matter of fact those drivers are very dark, huge amount of bass, and of course at expence of mids and highs. Thats it.
[...]
Received mine last month, I made some changes to the MX500 shell, and it ended up having very, very little bass, haha! It's my most resolving pair of earbuds so far, though, better than the VE Zen Lite Vita, for example.

It has a pretty unique sound, tbh. I thought about comparisons for a while and couldn't think of anything that sounds like it. It's midcentric, but it's not offensive; It's detailed, but it's not fatiguing. Bass-wise, it's like an AKG K701 lol.

Ah, and I made the silly choice of purchasing a purple/silver 8-core braided cable from XINHS, just to match with the driver color, so... I had to sand down the "cable hole" of the shell, it's most likely what caused the bass reduction.

I really like how it turned out, definitely my favorite so far! :grin:

Attachments

• 20230313_183606.jpg
    20230313_183606.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #4,439 of 4,738
Planar earbuds on the way! I'll most likely have to create a custom faceplate for this type of driver, but I'll check how it sounds with the MX500 faceplate first, hehe :)

Also, the driver didn't fit the MX500 shell, so I had to make one out of wood with lots of drilling and sanding, still one more side left though. I'll post an update when it's finished!
Awesome! What planar drivers are you using?
Instead of MX500, you should be able to use any PK shells or most DIY metal shells with those drivers....
Also you can easily fit the drivers into standard faceplates by using a thicker double-sided tape around the drivers.
Keep us posted!

Apr 4, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #4,440 of 4,738
Received mine last month, I made some changes to the MX500 shell, and it ended up having very, very little bass, haha! It's my most resolving pair of earbuds so far, though, better than the VE Zen Lite Vita, for example.

It has a pretty unique sound, tbh. I thought about comparisons for a while and couldn't think of anything that sounds like it. It's midcentric, but it's not offensive; It's detailed, but it's not fatiguing. Bass-wise, it's like an AKG K701 lol.

Ah, and I made the silly choice of purchasing a purple/silver 8-core braided cable from XINHS, just to match with the driver color, so... I had to sand down the "cable hole" of the shell, it's most likely what caused the bass reduction.

I really like how it turned out, definitely my favorite so far! :grin:
Wow, I was thinking about fitting these 8-core XINHS cables in the MX500 shells. Now I can finally see it :) .
For more bass you might have to drill more holes in the shell, or open the fake vent in the stem.... and use the standard black plastic shells instead of the transparent ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back