DIY Earbuds
Jan 19, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #4,396 of 4,718
hello guys, this my first comment in a head-fi, i'am looking for a driver 15.4mm for "the end".
i want to looking driver with sound like VE ZEN 2.0 ( sharpness image , best soundstage , warm ) or better.
can recommend me some driver like that.
tks you for watching.
tks you somuch for reply me.
Never heard any VE stuff, but I can recommend 300LCP based on that description. Great everything, slight W-shape, warm mids without bleed. They lack a touch of depth in soundstage compared to other drivers, but make up with detail--as per buds are.

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #4,397 of 4,718
Never heard any VE stuff, but I can recommend 300LCP based on that description. Great everything, slight W-shape, warm mids without bleed. They lack a touch of depth in soundstage compared to other drivers, but make up with detail--as per buds are.
1674178208821.png

tks you somuch, this image is 300LCP right ?. i will try this and reply you soon.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #4,398 of 4,718
1674178208821.png
tks you somuch, this image is 300LCP right ?. i will try this and reply you soon.
Yep, those. They're an easy recommendation for the higher price drivers.

Jan 30, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #4,399 of 4,718
Hi, can anyone give me a quick guide on how to solder the earbuds wires.

I mean from the picture the red cable is right side, but which drivers are right and which are left.

Also which parts of the drivers I need to solder the two mini cable.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20230130_131250.jpg
    IMG_20230130_131250.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Jan 30, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #4,400 of 4,718
Jan 30, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #4,401 of 4,718
Thanks alot, just checked, exactly what I needed. Thanks a million.

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:14 AM Post #4,403 of 4,718
Well its a cheap diy project, someone in earbuds thread said that their parent tested several earbuds which included x6, ff3 and this driver diy earbud, and concluded that this diy was as good as ff3 if not better, found that interesting so I bought the driver and a cheap cable.

Quick impressions are well as expected, it has good sound overall. Bass wise the ff3 is still king while x6 has a tiny bit more bass but this diy had much tighter bass and good quality one.

The overall sound of diy one is more analytical type, it's a bit more clearer then x6 with maybe better seperation, but X6 still has bigger sound and deeper stage, the ff3 afcource has even bigger and deeper stage then x6. And is as clear if not clearer then the diy one.

So overall clear sounding earbuds with tight bass and not fatiguing at all. I made no modification to the earbud cover as I have no experience, just soldered the cable to drivers.

Perhaps I wouldve liked even more bass and bigger sound or stage, donno which tuning mod I needed to do to get that.

Link for driver and cable below,

US $1.07 25%OFF | 1.2m Silver-Coated Copper Wire Earphone Maintenance Wire for DIY Replace Headphone Cable 3.5mm Audio Cable without MIC #561
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtMW0Z4

US $3.82 22%OFF | 15.4mm 32 ohm Bass Headphone Driver Speakers N52 Strong Magnetic Drivers for MX500 with Headphone Shell
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKDI1gA

IMG_20230202_073618.jpg

IMG_20230202_074149.jpg

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #4,404 of 4,718
Well its a cheap diy project, someone in earbuds thread said that their parent tested several earbuds which included x6, ff3 and this driver diy earbud, and concluded that this diy was as good as ff3 if not better, found that interesting so I bought the driver and a cheap cable.

Quick impressions are well as expected, it has good sound overall. Bass wise the ff3 is still king while x6 has a tiny bit more bass but this diy had much tighter bass and good quality one.

The overall sound of diy one is more analytical type, it's a bit more clearer then x6 with maybe better seperation, but X6 still has bigger sound and deeper stage, the ff3 afcource has even bigger and deeper stage then x6. And is as clear if not clearer then the diy one.

So overall clear sounding earbuds with tight bass and not fatiguing at all. I made no modification to the earbud cover as I have no experience, just soldered the cable to drivers.

Perhaps I wouldve liked even more bass and bigger sound or stage, donno which tuning mod I needed to do to get that.

US $1.07 25%OFF | 1.2m Silver-Coated Copper Wire Earphone Maintenance Wire for DIY Replace Headphone Cable 3.5mm Audio Cable without MIC #561

US $3.82 22%OFF | 15.4mm 32 ohm Bass Headphone Driver Speakers N52 Strong Magnetic Drivers for MX500 with Headphone Shell

IMG_20230202_073618.jpg

IMG_20230202_074149.jpg
I think that post might’ve been mine? If so, I remember it being a close race for my uncle between the FF3 and 32BG. Ultimately, he chose the FF3 as the winner, he said it had the most clarity and balance. The 32BG was in second place.

I do find myself wishing there were more bass and soundstage on them as well. I believe a Rary Rivet would help with that. Before I modded my 150BG stock earbuds, I found them to sound very similar to the 32BG stock earbuds. After I put the rivet in the 150BG earbuds, bass and soundstage increased. However, I found vocals to be recessed. I’m still tuning it.

If you want, try experimenting with different horseshoes and white tuning papers first though. I remember modding a KBear Stellar by adding a horseshoe on the shell and plugging the faux vents. That increased the soundstage and imaging for me. That might not work for the 32BG. Who knows, I haven’t tried it yet. DIY is a bit tricky but so satisfying when you get the sound you want.

Feb 3, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #4,405 of 4,718
Yes it was yours I think, I agree with the balance and clearity, it's quite amazing on some genre.

This is my first diy, so have no idea what rivat and foux hole is.

Will research a bit. Thanks.

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #4,406 of 4,718

I don't have these N52 drivers, but I can say you can do MUCH better. From what I hear, those drivers tend to like closed off shells more. Rivet mod might not help, but you can give it a go. Half of the drivers out there can do with more air, the other half actually need some seal to perform better.

I've listened to the FF3, and I think they're the best earbud from Fiio regardless of price, but certainly far from what DIY can do. Their mid-bass is bloated and muddy, IMHO, and they don't reach deep. Mids are shoveled out, highs can be a bit grainy.

My easy rec would be 64ohm comp-ti, the $12-13 drivers. Excellent extension with proper sub-bass and no bloat. But if you want killer bass and soundstage at the sacrifice of some treble sparkle, 300ohm DLC with full foam back. You can remove some of the back foam to bring in the highs at the cost of some bass. Both are the 'solder in MX500 shells, keep some air through the cable tunnel' high performers in my book.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #4,407 of 4,718
I don't have these N52 drivers, but I can say you can do MUCH better. From what I hear, those drivers tend to like closed off shells more. Rivet mod might not help, but you can give it a go. Half of the drivers out there can do with more air, the other half actually need some seal to perform better.
I didn’t know about them sounding better with more closed in shells. Thanks for the advice!
My easy rec would be 64ohm comp-ti, the $12-13 drivers. Excellent extension with proper sub-bass and no bloat.
I just assembled those, but broke the voice coil on one of them before I could tune it. Time to order another pair…

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #4,408 of 4,718
Yes it was yours I think, I agree with the balance and clearity, it's quite amazing on some genre.

This is my first diy, so have no idea what rivat and foux hole is.

Will research a bit. Thanks.
You’re welcome.
This is the guide that helped me out. It talks about rivets and faux vents (fake vents), in the Intermediate and DIY Master sections.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PRXhXgAr8N-EiNk3K9Cuqd36LeS5JB7ZuFDAgJbTCm8/htmlview

The N52 BG’s you just assembled are an excellent start into DIY. There are so many other drivers too. The guide has a list of them and their sound signatures.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 11:10 PM Post #4,409 of 4,718
Thanks, will check it out, but by closed you mean I should seal all holes?

Feb 4, 2023 at 11:52 PM Post #4,410 of 4,718
Thanks, will check it out, but by closed you mean I should seal all holes?
Completely sealing is bad. The technical explanation is, there needs to be enough pressure behind the driver to produce the best sound possible. Back pressure. Some drivers prefer more, while others prefer less. For example, the 64ohm full-ti sound horrible in a normal MX500 shell with just a little bit of air through the cable hole, but give them a few holes or a rivet, they open up into something amazing. Other drivers need a tiny hole to relieve some pressure build up. I'm not an expert on these tunings because I don't prefer the 'closed in' nature of the sound, personally. The only driver I have that I've wrestled this with was the 14.8mm full-ti 64ohm driver, which needs a ton of back pressure and a tiny vent hole--and even this made them 'listenable', so that's why they're the only drivers I was burned on.

The same can be found in speakers. Most if not all speakers require a certain amount of back pressure, either through a port or radiator. Each speaker requires a different amount depending on the characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back