DIY Earbuds
Jul 8, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #3,751 of 4,707
@jeejack I just found a solution to fit your metal mesh pink dots in MX500s.

All you have to do is buy those MX500 shells variants with a lip cutout (either the transparent ones or the black ones with engraved L and R markings). The lips on there ends thinly from the body so it's a bit more easy to fit on the shallow faceplate depth of those metal mesh. Just make sure you put the voice coil vent on the lip cutout.

I tested this already and it fits them somehow.
IMG_20210709_065854.jpg

IMG_20210709_070044.jpg
Also if you guys are planning to tune the pink dots, I have some ideas, all you have to do is to cover the coil vent, leaving some driver vents in the process.
I tried the usual coil vent up method and the upper mids seems strident, but covering it makes it less energetic in that area.

There's also something I noticed when I tuned these pink dots, and it seems to be more bright in transparent shells (with the lips cutout, no faux vent) compared to the usual normal ones without lip cutout, and exhibits more lower treble control.

Putting only a full horseshoe (horseshoe foam that fully covers the driver vents) really turns the pink dot into a more balanced, U shaped signature. The humongous overall bass got turned into warmth and sub bass focus and the 2khz - 5khz shifted to parts of the upper treble.
This is also applicable to any big solder drivers too! I tested it on my green dots and the treble shift seems to help with the stridency in its stock signature.

Hope this helps!

Also one more question.
I got interested in your hardships on tuning the 300ohms, and I'm curious to see the result if you removed the preapplied foam and seal the shell vents completely. Like giving it like a full closed headphone effect as shown from @furyossa ShoonTH post. Maybe restraining completely of air movement might help with the treble?
There's also an option where you leave the pre applied foam alone and put a circle foam (those foams that come with pairs of horseshoe foams) on the inside of the lips where the coil vent meets.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #3,752 of 4,707
Nice job man with pink's.
Don't bother with 300ohm N52 not worth it, I tried everything u can use foam, cover every hole or leave it with bare ass, on freq. graph no changes.

Jul 9, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #3,753 of 4,707
@jeejack I just found a solution to fit your metal mesh pink dots in MX500s.

All you have to do is buy those MX500 shells variants with a lip cutout (either the transparent ones or the black ones with engraved L and R markings). The lips on there ends thinly from the body so it's a bit more easy to fit on the shallow faceplate depth of those metal mesh. Just make sure you put the voice coil vent on the lip cutout.

I tested this already and it fits them somehow.
IMG_20210709_065854.jpg
IMG_20210709_070044.jpg
Also if you guys are planning to tune the pink dots, I have some ideas, all you have to do is to cover the coil vent, leaving some driver vents in the process.
I tried the usual coil vent up method and the upper mids seems strident, but covering it makes it less energetic in that area.

There's also something I noticed when I tuned these pink dots, and it seems to be more bright in transparent shells (with the lips cutout, no faux vent) compared to the usual normal ones without lip cutout, and exhibits more lower treble control.

Putting only a full horseshoe (horseshoe foam that fully covers the driver vents) really turns the pink dot into a more balanced, U shaped signature. The humongous overall bass got turned into warmth and sub bass focus and the 2khz - 5khz shifted to parts of the upper treble.
This is also applicable to any big solder drivers too! I tested it on my green dots and the treble shift seems to help with the stridency in its stock signature.

Hope this helps!

Also one more question.
I got interested in your hardships on tuning the 300ohms, and I'm curious to see the result if you removed the preapplied foam and seal the shell vents completely. Like giving it like a full closed headphone effect as shown from @furyossa ShoonTH post. Maybe restraining completely of air movement might help with the treble?
There's also an option where you leave the pre applied foam alone and put a circle foam (those foams that come with pairs of horseshoe foams) on the inside of the lips where the coil vent meets.
Thanks for the suggestion. I also solved with them in the MX500 shell. I changed faceplates

Jul 9, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #3,755 of 4,707
This gonna be so much fun!

Nice

Post the link for the ear ... or is it yours? :wink:
The average length of the adult ear canal is approximately 22.5 mm.
Is the same case with silicone ear?

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #3,756 of 4,707
Nice

Post the link for the ear ... or is it yours? :wink:
The average length of the adult ear canal is approximately 22.5 mm.
Is the same case with silicone ear?
It is a piercing practice silicone ear from Ali. I recommend this longer ear canal model.Link
I only found it after I ordered the short one.

Earphones fit well, tight, although it is an average Chinese size ear, bit on the smaller size, but good for this application.

I am still learning how much longer the coupler canal should be, where from that 22.5mm is measured.

Jul 10, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #3,758 of 4,707
In my silicon ear the ear canal is bending, not straight, it is like real. I would expect the longer one to be also anatomially correct.
This is the length of mine, seems a bit short:
P_20210710_073127.jpg
Yup. It is short, but you can extend it with silicone tube or 3D print small extension part.
Bending is important also. I use these two reference images for my model (3D print)
1625909943816.png

1625909961142.png

Jul 15, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #3,760 of 4,707
A little brainstorming.
I saw these new line of 13mm drivers probably for bluetooth earphones. These are flat, and thinner than a regular earphone speaker.
I have successfully put 14.2mm driver in a 14.8mm cover, but 13mm is a little small.

Then I was wandering what to do with the additional space.
Has anyone before tried to tilt the driver, like headphone makers do like Sennheiser?
With a small adapter, a 13mm driver could be fixed tilted in a bigger shell cover like this:
tilting earphone.jpg

Of couse it only wort the effort, if those drivers are any good.
Whad do You think?

Jul 15, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #3,761 of 4,707
A little brainstorming.
I saw these new line of 13mm drivers probably for bluetooth earphones. These are flat, and thinner than a regular earphone speaker.
I have successfully put 14.2mm driver in a 14.8mm cover, but 13mm is a little small.

Then I was wandering what to do with the additional space.
Has anyone before tried to tilt the driver, like headphone makers do like Sennheiser?
With a small adapter, a 13mm driver could be fixed tilted in a bigger shell cover like this:
tilting earphone.jpg
Of couse it only wort the effort, if those drivers are any good.
Whad do You think?
Try to find a ring like this for that size, you could also make some 3D printed holder
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002360064453.html

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #3,763 of 4,707
A little diy project. This is my first 3D carving a PK shell.
I used a mini drill tool like a Dremmel, and several burr heads.

This was the result.
P_20210716_204709.jpg

You get the idea:
P_20210716_205848.jpg

The idea was zebra stripes, but it turned out more like scars.

In the end I liked more without color. It is like white scrap wood. So I finished it like this:
P_20210716_221227.jpg

There are several lessons I learned:
-it is easy to draw on these with a pencil to try out various pattern
-these are harder (material) than I thought
-always turns out to be different in the end... but it is DIY in the heart.

I decided to make my buds unique, because otherwise these look all the same. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #3,765 of 4,707

Users who are viewing this thread

Back