DIY Earbuds
May 29, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #3,436 of 4,721
It'a the same shell, only difference is the color paint. I will skip 2nd because I have problem with soldering with some silver and black mmcx connectors probably because paint coat or material.
Black shell (130ohm Bery) and Silver shell (64ohm full Ti)

BTW... how are you man? Long time, no see :wink:
Ah thanks so much, these are indeed the shells I'm thinking about :) I'm ok thanks, I haven't been active lately in terms of DIY, I only bought useless earpads since january and now preparing a casual earbud for gift purposes. (using the N50 driver, currently thinking about which shell to use - boring black mx500 or shiny midcentric DP100 transparent)

This needs glue to keep mx500 driver in place, right? Do you think it's possible to unscrew the mmcx connector and use the shell with fixed cable? Even just as a temporary solution, maybe I could even use the stem from the shell I posted or modify the rubber stem of the wooden shells to fit… I have so much unused stuff lying around, do you want some? :D

May 29, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #3,437 of 4,721
Ah thanks so much, these are indeed the shells I'm thinking about :) I'm ok thanks, I haven't been active lately in terms of DIY, I only bought useless earpads since january and now preparing a casual earbud for gift purposes. (using the N50 driver, currently thinking about which shell to use - boring black mx500 or shiny midcentric DP100 transparent)

This needs glue to keep mx500 driver in place, right? Do you think it's possible to unscrew the mmcx connector and use the shell with fixed cable? Even just as a temporary solution, maybe I could even use the stem from the shell I posted or modify the rubber stem of the wooden shells to fit… I have so much unused stuff lying around, do you want some? :D
I don't like this shell because you need to use glue for mmcx and for the driver, See B- detail. Stem has no threads, just one small "tooth" holding the connector
130ohm-semilarge.jpg

This shells are much better option, fit wise and no require glue. For the mmcx you need shrink tube and a little to process the "lip" with a file because the connection with the cover is very tight.

May 29, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #3,438 of 4,721
I have so much unused stuff lying around, do you want some? :D
:wink: Same here. Because of shipping problem I didn't order anything from Ali last 17 months. I have plenty of parts but no new drivers :slight_frown:
Anyway ...I already have enough models which I enjoy, so I'm not bored:beerchug:

May 29, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #3,439 of 4,721
I don't like this shell because you need to use glue for mmcx and for the driver, See B- detail. Stem has no threads, just one small "tooth" holding the connector
130ohm-semilarge.jpg

This shells are much better option, fit wise and no require glue. For the mmcx you need shrink tube and a little to process the "lip" with a file because the connection with the cover is very tight.
Thanks :) Sadly it's 3x more, so out of my budget at the moment.. for that money I'd actually prefer that newer open back I showed you few months ago, that would be awesome :D Maybe I'll try the pink dot titanium instead but I don't really want to risk fragile drivers again, buying shells is less stressful :D

May 29, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #3,440 of 4,721
Thanks :) Sadly it's 3x more, so out of my budget at the moment.. for that money I'd actually prefer that newer open back I showed you few months ago, that would be awesome :D Maybe I'll try the pink dot titanium instead but I don't really want to risk fragile drivers again, buying shells is less stressful :D
Yup. That shell is awesome but I missed the train:slight_frown: Just imagine that shell and 500ohm graphene... mmmmmm:sunglasses::muscle:

Last edited:
May 29, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #3,441 of 4,721
Yup. That shell is awesome but I missed the train:slight_frown: Just imagine that shell and 500ohm graphene... mmmmmm:sunglasses::muscle:
Must be pretty nice.. 14usd is not that high for such a shell but still I really don't know why it cost so much in cheaper stores too like nsc or jietu..
For those who don't know which shell we're talking about: https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0LC3o1

Btw I noticed that shipping fee is a lot cheaper if I set the currency to USD (from my local one), it unlocks a shipping method called aliexpress saver. Maybe it's worth a check for you as well. :)

Has anyone tried this thin metal mmcx shell since I last asked? :D
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPRtHup

Last edited:
May 30, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #3,442 of 4,721
Could please anyone who knows remind how the thickness of white horseshoe tuning paper/cotton affects the sound?
There are various types of thickness from some sellers on ali, ranging usually from Y2 (the thinnest) to Y5 or Y6 (the thickest).

May 30, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #3,444 of 4,721
PK1 150Ohm Transparent-film:
What do You know about these? It looks like old stock, but has no red tint in the diaphragm. Are these made in the same factory than red-film?
Probably yes, and you have transparent, pink and red film versions. Different coating make them sound differently. "Red" is the king, "Clear" is the queen and "Pink" is probably the princess. :wink:

May 30, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #3,446 of 4,721
Okay, I wander what is the color code for the paint they use these days. :wink: Are those really different material or tinted to make it distinct?
Is different coating material it's not the tint

May 31, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #3,450 of 4,721
I have a Dayton IMM-6 on the way. Did You guys had any luck measuring earbuds with this?
I want an easy diy adapter for at least comparing earbuds, and tuning visually on FR graph.
You can find on this thread info about DIY rig and parts. @assassin10000 have probably the best DIY coupler here.
You already saw 3D printed "ear canal" like coupler.
This is the tutorial to setup your measurement rig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back