DIY Earbuds
Apr 16, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #3,301 of 4,721
Apr 16, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #3,302 of 4,721
Can't believe it's a year now since he passed away.
He's one of the people that inspired me here to make earbuds. I still miss him, I'll probably never meet anyone that passionate in this hobby ever again.
Yup. He was really a loyal member of this forum, a big fan of this hobby who inspired other members and provided very valuable information to all of us. His collection of earbuds is really amazing

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #3,303 of 4,721
My titaniums arrived, it is 14.8mm good for PK/DoCoMo shells.
Link
I put them in a long docomo shell. The grille is round inside, do not snap on the docomo shell, so I had to file the shell to round (for those who is not familiar with, this shell has two flange to hold its original plastic grille) and glue it in. My first impression is its "titanium" harsh treble. So I burn it in for a few days, to see/hear if it gets better.
Now I have bought 2 drivers for the shell, the biofibre and the titanium that I had high hopes so far.
Fortunately not many drivers fit the 14.8mm shell, so I dont have to try a dozen drivers. But none of them have the calming effect that the PK2 driver has so far.
Titanium drivers.jpg

Update: All holes needed to be blocked but the bass port. Now it has middle bass too. :-D
Interestingly it is like an IEM driver. If I push it against my ear canal, it is good. If I release the pressure, it brightens, and the stage goes one street away.
Update-2: With double foams it gets exciting. It stopped scratching my brain with every string. Now we are on track.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,305 of 4,721
This is the long docomo shell with the metal grille.
Temporaty gluing. I dont have a suitable clamp, but dont need real force either.
IMG_20210417_225357.jpg

The purple foam inside the vent is craft foam sheet glued in. I used craft express glue, that doesn't hardens, I can peel it off when I want.
IMG_20210417_225434.jpg

Yes, I'm still using the crappy original cable the buds came with. I tune first, change cable if it worth it...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #3,306 of 4,721
This is the long docomo shell with the metal grille.
Temporaty gluing. I dont have a suitable clamp, but dont need real force either.

The purple foam inside the vent is craft foam sheet glued in. I used craft express glue, that doesn't hardens, I can peel it off when I want.

Yes, I'm still using the crappy original cable the buds came with. I tune first, change cable if it worth it...
Good job!
It was good if you took a picture with the inside of the shell

Apr 18, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #3,307 of 4,721
Good job!
It was good if you took a picture with the inside of the shell
Here You go:
IMG_20210418_132611.jpg

Please note it is only my thoughts, this driver has nice resolution, and 3d soundstage, but it needs good seal. What apparently I could not get.
My best approach is to put my finger on the shell and press it against my ear. When I release it, it has a feeling when Your IEM falls out from your ear canal.
Although it is a great contender, I feel I miss something. And I really feel myself like him:
earpress.jpg

Apr 18, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #3,308 of 4,721
Here You go:

Please note it is only my thoughts, this driver has nice resolution, and 3d soundstage, but it needs good seal. What apparently I could not get.
My best approach is to put my finger on the shell and press it against my ear. When I release it, it has a feeling when Your IEM falls out from your ear canal.
Although it is a great contender, I feel I miss something. And I really feel myself like him:
Docomo shell already has small inner space (inner cavity size) which provides optimal work conditions for PK drivers. If you use a knot on the cable and a thicker filter, you will reduce a lot of internal space, which can jeopardize the performance of the driver. So try to remove the knot and use another method to block the cable pull-out

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3,309 of 4,721
Docomo shell already has small inner space (inner cavity size) which provides optimal work conditions for PK drivers. If you use a knot on the cable and a thicker filter, you will reduce a lot of internal space, which can jeopardize the performance of the driver. So try to remove the knot and use another method to block the cable pull-out
I will try. My usual cable is thick. For this shell it hardly needs a cable blocker at all.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #3,310 of 4,721
I will try. My usual cable is thick. For this shell it hardly needs a cable blocker at all.
Yup. For this shell most braided cable not need blocker, you can use shrink tube just to prevent unraveling, and it will act like blocker

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #3,312 of 4,721
Well, end of story, for now. One driver is dead.
During my experiments, I break the coil wire.
Here is my lesson:
It happens that the titanium driver grille is a little bit bigger than the shell, and I had hard time figuring out how to secure it quickly for audition, without gluing.
So I had a PK driver I removed from thegrille, and I wanted to put the titanium driver into the PK grille that should snap onto the shell.
That is when the accident may happened. It turned out, this driver is also a little bit bigger than the PK, so I had to force it into the PK grille.
Just after that I realized it has no sound, and I had to cut the PK grille just to get out the titanium driver. Sorry PK2...
This is the one, with the broken coil wires.
IMG_20210418_214050.jpg

Well, this is a diy forum anyway. So I was going to solder it back!!!
My eyes said no, but I tried anyway.
IMG_20210418_212202.jpg

Long story short, it was working for almost 2 seconds. Then the wire broke again. It is so little surface to hold strength.
What I learned is removing drivers from the original grille is dangerous, but at least dont try to lift the side with the coil wires.
Other lesson is do not force anything. I should have sanded the PK grille larger instead forcing in a different driver.

So, I am ordering another pair, and a PK shell set to get the grille, and I am starting all over again.

Apr 23, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #3,314 of 4,721
My titaniums arrived, it is 14.8mm good for PK/DoCoMo shells.
Link
I put them in a long docomo shell. The grille is round inside, do not snap on the docomo shell, so I had to file the shell to round (for those who is not familiar with, this shell has two flange to hold its original plastic grille) and glue it in. My first impression is its "titanium" harsh treble. So I burn it in for a few days, to see/hear if it gets better.
Now I have bought 2 drivers for the shell, the biofibre and the titanium that I had high hopes so far.
Fortunately not many drivers fit the 14.8mm shell, so I dont have to try a dozen drivers. But none of them have the calming effect that the PK2 driver has so far.
Titanium drivers.jpg

Update: All holes needed to be blocked but the bass port. Now it has middle bass too. :-D
Interestingly it is like an IEM driver. If I push it against my ear canal, it is good. If I release the pressure, it brightens, and the stage goes one street away.
Update-2: With double foams it gets exciting. It stopped scratching my brain with every string. Now we are on track.

Cool. I've got these here.

Well had them for a month now but haven't had time to make a pair of buds. :confused:

Well, end of story, for now. One driver is dead.
During my experiments, I break the coil wire.
Here is my lesson:
It happens that the titanium driver grille is a little bit bigger than the shell, and I had hard time figuring out how to secure it quickly for audition, without gluing.
So I had a PK driver I removed from thegrille, and I wanted to put the titanium driver into the PK grille that should snap onto the shell.
That is when the accident may happened. It turned out, this driver is also a little bit bigger than the PK, so I had to force it into the PK grille.
Just after that I realized it has no sound, and I had to cut the PK grille just to get out the titanium driver. Sorry PK2...
This is the one, with the broken coil wires.
IMG_20210418_214050.jpg

Well, this is a diy forum anyway. So I was going to solder it back!!!
My eyes said no, but I tried anyway.
IMG_20210418_212202.jpg
Long story short, it was working for almost 2 seconds. Then the wire broke again. It is so little surface to hold strength.
What I learned is removing drivers from the original grille is dangerous, but at least dont try to lift the side with the coil wires.
Other lesson is do not force anything. I should have sanded the PK grille larger instead forcing in a different driver.

So, I am ordering another pair, and a PK shell set to get the grille, and I am starting all over again.

Doh! Unfortunately this happens to just about all of us. Last time I ordered 2 pairs just in case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back