DIY Earbuds
Feb 15, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #3,106 of 4,718
This is the little experimentation and measurements test for AKG Y16A.
These buds use 15mm driver and this is the only pair where I can say that the treble is "star of the show" for which AKG is also known.
Treble is not sibilant or harsh but after half hour of listening without foams, I'm starting to notice a mild headache.
Average bass quantity, sub-bass rolled off, mids are neutral, average soundstage and impressive imaging
In this example, we can see the difference with or without foams, with filters and silicone covers.

The shells are made of plastic, and it has very nice curved form which contributes to good comfort.
The driver (with metal mesh) is glued on the shell and the rubber ring is here only to reduce sharpness of the edge.
akgY16A.jpg

On this graph we can see how can foams influence the sound (for better). Because of better fit, we have better leveled and low and high and it is also important to note that the full foam protects metal mesh and driver from moisture.
This driver in addition to having a good spec it also shows that it has a good balance between the left and right channel.
akg-graph1.jpg

For this experiment I bought some chip pair of buds which have a two pair of silicone caps which are great for any 15mm driver size and can be mounted even over foam.
Also, they are not sticky and have a pleasant feeling in the ear
These are ENERGY SISTEM Style 2+ buds and they can be found in red, blue, yellow and black colors. Build quality is good, and the have well shielded cables.
akgY16A1.jpg

Anyway ... the sound tuning is bad, and they have channel disbalance (between 1.5kHz and 10kHz) which is standard for this kind of buds.I was a little curious, so I did the measurement for them as well
Style-2.jpg

For this mod I removed stock rubber rings
First I tied this combo. The two wool filters are placed inside the black foams and mounted on the shell, and then I putt silicone caps over.
akgY16A2.jpg

Then instead of wool filters I use in the same way paper filters which have a higher density than wool filters.
And finally I tried the following: I removed the paper filters and installed only full foam. Then I put the sponge filter over and pulled on the silicone caps.
akgY16A3.jpg

Final measurements with all filters are showed on this graph. In conclusion these silicone caps are great if you have problems with fit but as you can see they have a small spike at 1k, and these filters reduces treble peaks very nicely
akg_graph2.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #3,108 of 4,718
With these silicone ear tips, we can tune the sound by cutting at different angles.
I have these and also these (14mm), but they are too small for PK and MX500. You can place them on these shells by force, but they block the sound.
Red ones that I showed in previous post use thinner silicon, and they are way bigger and don't touch the metal mesh and allows the sound to pass freely.

Feb 17, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #3,114 of 4,718
Results from some of my DIY tests:

- 150 Ohm transparent film 14.8mm drivers: these are correctly claimed as vocal drivers. For me, they are (too) midcentric (with poor low and high extensions). Skip them!
- 64 Ohm 14.8mm drivers: I don't like them but I don't know exactly why. It is kind they lack (a lot) of clarity. The same happens for the praised 150 Ohm red film set which I had.
- 32 Ohm red film 14.8mm drivers: better overall sound rendering than the 150 ones, but still lack bass response (bass light);
- the famous 19-21 32 Ohm 15.4mm drivers: they are really good drivers. Easily the best SQ/price ratio I know;
- 600Ohm 15.4mm: although some here don't like them, I like the way they sound even though they have poor high extension. Anyway, they aren't worth it due to their high price.

Has anyone already played with any of the following drivers?
- 24 Ohm double unit 15.4mm drivers: It seems that they have "2 speakers ?" per side. It is very interesting.
- 32 Ohm 'bass' 14.8mm drivers: they share the same faceplate as well as the impedance of my Panda PK2s DQSM buds. If they are the same drivers, then they are worth it;
- 300 Ohm 9U and 300 Ohm 12U 15.4mm drivers: I wonder if there is any difference in SQ between these models. I fried my QIGOM White Lotus yesterday, so I need a replacement for them.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #3,116 of 4,718
They are ok. Balanced sound. Need amp to sound good and loud
Did you perhaps take a picture of the driver before replacing the stock cable?

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #3,117 of 4,718
Did you perhaps take a picture of the driver before replacing the stock cable?
Now you're asking the real questions 😂

Also, I'll be receiving a Sharp MD MX500 earbud in a few days, I'll be posting photos of their innards if you all are interested.
My 19-21 pink dot titanium just gave up and distorted on me (probably due to the loose coil wire hitting the diaphragm because it's not properly glued anymore) and I'll probably change the drivers with a 32ohm one with a composite wool diaphragm some day, if the budget allows lol

I'll also post my 19-21 impressions here once I'm done with another review (I hope it gets done because I get really derailed because of distractions and other projects 😂)

Feb 18, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #3,118 of 4,718
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #3,120 of 4,718

Users who are viewing this thread

Back