DIY Earbuds
Nov 26, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #2,447 of 4,719
Hey guys I have a question. From where im from good cables for earbuds are extremely hard to come by. So can i just buy an 8 core iem cable, strip the wires and then use it to recable my earbuds?
Yes you can. If the cable has mmcx connectors and if you can find some "female" mmcx then you can build mmcx mod. One more example
Easy option will be to remove mmcx connectors and solder wires directly on the driver and for that, you need first to check which wires are for signal and which for the ground, by using a multimeter. For 8-core cable, 4 wires are used for ground, 2 for left and 2 for the right channel.
Also, you can cut all wires (remove mmcx, plug and splitter) and build two 4-core cables. Of course, you will need one more 3.5mm plug for that. This video shows how to join two wires and this is only if you want to practice to be a "Jedi warrior" 🀟

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #2,448 of 4,719
Hey guys I have a question. From where im from good cables for earbuds are extremely hard to come by. So can i just buy an 8 core iem cable, strip the wires and then use it to recable my earbuds?

You may want to stick with 4 core cables. 8 cores may not fit through the shell openings.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #2,449 of 4,719
Took some measurements of the DIY SR2 16Ξ© on the X12 Pro. Green is no EQ, orange is after EQ.
DIY SR2 16Ξ©.jpg

The left driver unfortunately has an issue in the mid-treble and makes this pair too imbalanced. The above are from the right driver only.

Put my pair of 40Ξ© Ti drivers on. Way better and they look like they belong there.

IMG_20201125_204741.jpg

The sound sig (mostly bass) is definitely more suited to use out and about vs. the original drivers which were somewhat anemic. Before and after EQ measurements.
DIY 40Ξ© Ti X12 Pro.jpg

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #2,450 of 4,719
Took some measurements of the DIY SR2 16Ξ© on the X12 Pro. Green is no EQ, orange is after EQ.

The left driver unfortunately has an issue in the mid-treble and makes this pair too imbalanced. The above are from the right driver only.

Put my pair of 40Ξ© Ti drivers on. Way better and they look like they belong there.

The sound sig (mostly bass) is definitely more suited to use out and about vs. the original drivers which were somewhat anemic. Before and after EQ measurements.
40ohm Ti freq. graph looks the way better despite channel imbalance. ARTA measurements or REW with inverted colors?
I tried SonataHD last night. SonataHD uses 3 different firmware A,C,D. Only A work with mic. It has a flat freq. response in range 20Hz-20kHz and is perfect for measurement
with iMM6. I failed to do the measurement in the REW and I gave up.

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #2,451 of 4,719
40ohm Ti freq. graph looks the way better despite channel imbalance. ARTA measurements or REW with inverted colors?
I tried SonataHD last night. SonataHD uses 3 different firmware A,C,D. Only A work with mic. It has a flat freq. response in range 20Hz-20kHz and is perfect for measurement
with iMM6. I failed to do the measurement in the REW and I gave up.

REW with inverted colors.

The 40Ξ© measurements aren't due to imbalance. One line is without EQ (purple) and one line is with EQ (red).

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #2,452 of 4,719
@willyboyaudio about your Wiki project.
This is a really good idea to organize everything in one place. :beerchug:
Sometimes is really hard and annoying to look for a description of each driver or some specific mod throughout the whole forum.
It would also be a good idea to consider any driver because we're not just talking about driver characteristics but also about shells, cables, connectors, airflow, ergonomics,
tools, and materials ... in short modding in general. When I say "any driver", I mean that sometimes we also use some drivers from branded manufacturers for our mods.
This can also help those who have some pre-made models and want to make some changes: swap the cable, add the tuning foam, install MMCX, change or modify the shell etc.
In your " Head-Fi DIY Earbuds Wiki " spreadsheet, you can remove the "Picture" row and in a row "Tested by User" add ordinal numbers (#) next to the username that will be a hyperlink for the "DIY Earbuds" thread mod. I will use my "8-Packs" project as an example: furyossa #1, #2, #3.
One of the reasons would also be that some projects upgrade over time
Thanks @furyossa for your input. I agree, that "Picture" column is kinda awkward. Unfortunately GoogleSheets can't have more than one link in a cell, so I've created columns to the right. Hope this is okay. The link is in my signature.
Thanks again!! :ksc75smile:

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #2,453 of 4,719
So has anyone tried the white 300ohm driver? I asked a couple sellers and have been told it has a lighter diaphragm compared to the black.
Been thinking about trying them for a while but still a bit hesitant

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #2,454 of 4,719
Is there any alternative to Dayton iMM-6 that I can order from Aliexpress?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #2,455 of 4,719
Is there any alternative to Dayton iMM-6 that I can order from Aliexpress?
Alternatives for iMM6, sure. For this, U need to build a custom adapter. Here's how a DIY expert does it
Most of the microphones which can cover frequency response in the range 20Hz-20kHz are fine for testing.
These two below are used for speakers but also U can use these for IEM's and earbuds If I'm not mistaken
- Superlux ECM888B
- Superlux ECM999
This one is probably the most used mic for professional speaker measurements, but it has also "professional" price :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #2,456 of 4,719
Yes you can. If the cable has mmcx connectors and if you can find some "female" mmcx then you can build mmcx mod. One more example
Easy option will be to remove mmcx connectors and solder wires directly on the driver and for that, you need first to check which wires are for signal and which for the ground, by using a multimeter. For 8-core cable, 4 wires are used for ground, 2 for left and 2 for the right channel.
Also, you can cut all wires (remove mmcx, plug and splitter) and build two 4-core cables. Of course, you will need one more 3.5mm plug for that. This video shows how to join two wires and this is only if you want to practice to be a "Jedi warrior" 🀟
Thanks for the tips bro! I really appreciate it. I have considered the mmcx mod but I dont have a dremel and i dont have any tool to take accurate measurements of the diameter of the female mmcx socket.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #2,458 of 4,719
So I decided to grab the 300 ohm white version, my wife calls them the green onions because they have some green onion looking plant in the description.....

Has anyone gotten the 68ohm graphene?

Nov 27, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #2,459 of 4,719
So I decided to grab the 300 ohm white version, my wife calls them the green onions because they have some green onion looking plant in the description.....

Has anyone gotten the 68ohm graphene?
The anti-flu driver 300ohm. Luckily it is not advertised as "Female Poison driver with ULTRA high resolution" with "Shocking bass". A masterpiece ... :smile: :smiley: :smile:
I planned to order 68ohm and those new shells from the NSC store but shipping is above $100.

Nov 27, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #2,460 of 4,719
The anti-flu driver 300ohm. Luckily it is not advertised as "Female Poison driver with ULTRA high resolution" with "Shocking bass". A masterpiece ... :smile: :smiley: :smile:
I planned to order 68ohm and those new shells from the NSC store but shipping is above $100.
Yeah I noticed some weird shipping prices, the wooden shells from ck Lewis being around $80.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back