DIY Earbuds
Nov 23, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #2,401 of 4,718
Yup. 130ohm has the best abs in the lineup. "Eight Packs" or short "8-Packs" We solved that.:thumbsup:
Now about 600ohm. I thought about it too, actually a few more names:
- "Barry White" it would fit nicely just if it had a white lid ie cover
- "Blackberry" will confuse many people and they will think that the phone is in question
- "Blueberry" because of blue shells that I use for this driver but it's irrelevant.
In the end, I decided to use simply the first 4 letters from Beryllium. Also because this is the first beryllium coated DIY we can call it "Papa Bery"
Ok. @Themilkman46290 love 400ohm graphene and @robar is bought all 19-21kHz drivers from the Ali (until recently they were not in stock :smile::wink:)
I think it would be fair for them to be "godfathers" and give names to these drivers :beerchug:
So there is the bery 6 and bery 5
The 8pack

Still leaves us with 2 versions of the 64ohm ti (one slightly fancier looking then the other)
The 400.......I call them the beryllium slayer......
Or the tetra (Greek for 4), fyra (Swedish) , quatro (spanish).....

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #2,402 of 4,718
I didn't have a Pk1 150 ohm. But pk3 32 ohm and pk2 16 ohm were available. These are not bad speakers but for my taste the not expensive $ 5 Chinese speakers have the best sound.

Guys, are the 400 ohm graphene speakers demanding amplification? Do you need a powerful amplifier or is a player with an amplifier like OPA1622 enough? I'll get them soon ...

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #2,404 of 4,718
I didn't have a Pk1 150 ohm. But pk3 32 ohm and pk2 16 ohm were available. These are not bad speakers but for my taste the not expensive $ 5 Chinese speakers have the best sound.

Guys, are the 400 ohm graphene speakers demanding amplification? Do you need a powerful amplifier or is a player with an amplifier like OPA1622 enough? I'll get them soon ...
You can drive DIY 400ohm on LG phones that use Quad-DAC (V20, V30, V35, V40, V50, V60, G7, G8...) OPA1622 can push 400ohm also

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #2,405 of 4,718
@furyossa @Themilkman46290
So the 600 and 500 have beryllium but the 400 has graphene diaphragm?
To combine your comments, what do you say we call the 600 “Papa Bery” and the 500 “Bery”?
I leave the 400 for you godfathers to decide LOL
We have a whole "Bery" family. Papa Bery aka 600ohm, Mama Bery - 500ohm and son "8-packs" Bery :smile::smile::smile:
As for the graphene we have two members, for now, 400ohm and 68ohm. BTW... "FYRA " sounds nice, or "quatrOHM" but what about 68ohm?
On the other hand, Titanium has a whole tribe.:smile: 64ohm (full Ti),64ohm (composite [PU+Ti]),19-21kHz Ti, 40ohm, 32ohm, and who knows how many more.
The 64ohm full Ti is a "Chief" :smile: It's too loud

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #2,407 of 4,718
Look ok. What do you think if it makes sense to use mmcx with this shells?
I don't have experience with mmcx builds :/ This shell is very simple, the stem is just a circular tube, nothing fancy so I guess it would be easy. I don't know if it could reach the SQ of a pk shell, but the comfort and design is nice.

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #2,408 of 4,718
I don't have experience with mmcx builds :/ This shell is very simple, the stem is just a circular tube, nothing fancy so I guess it would be easy. I don't know if it could reach the SQ of a pk shell, but the comfort and design is nice.
And what about names? You are the godfather for 19-21kHz. :smiley: I saw one Ti version and on others not say anything. Or maybe are both TI?

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #2,409 of 4,718
And what about names? You are the godfather for 19-21kHz. :smiley: I saw one Ti version and on others not say anything. Or maybe are both TI?
Lol I've never been called a godfather before, I'm honored :D There are a lot of versions, a few months ago I posted a shoppee link here where all the variations were listed. There is a titanium 32ohm with purple dot, a "balanced" version with green dot, a "clear highs" version and a "heavy bass" version with red dot. My recommended one is the red dot heavy bass, I haven't tried the others. It's pretty hard to give a name, I'll think about it :) Something that reflects on either the red dot, or the price-performance, or maybe the big fat solder dots. It's hard to give a name when the materials are not fancy :D 19-21 is pretty easy to remember though, and I've not seen any other cheap 32ohm driver with specs like that

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #2,410 of 4,718
pan-pk.jpg

My assumption here would be the following:
Pk shell has a bawled shape which increases cavity size. Also, the reflection of the back soundwaves is slower. Sound will not be congested, this allows better
spaciousness of sound.
Panasonic shell stem is not aligned with the middle of the shell "head" (like dp100) and curves on the image show familiar contour of some metallic shells which have
good ergonomics. This shape can produce intimate sound (closed-back) or in some bad cases congested sound (muffled sound) we often notice in cheap branded models.
The small "rear" vent will probably increase punch in this scenario. What do you think?

Nov 23, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #2,411 of 4,718
Lol I've never been called a godfather before, I'm honored :D There are a lot of versions, a few months ago I posted a shoppee link here where all the variations were listed. There is a titanium 32ohm with purple dot, a "balanced" version with green dot, a "clear highs" version and a "heavy bass" version with red dot. My recommended one is the red dot heavy bass, I haven't tried the others. It's pretty hard to give a name, I'll think about it :) Something that reflects on either the red dot, or the price-performance, or maybe the big fat solder dots. It's hard to give a name when the materials are not fancy :D 19-21 is pretty easy to remember though, and I've not seen any other cheap 32ohm driver with specs like that
Wow. This proves even more that you are an "expert" on this driver. Please don't say anything more :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
So "Red dot Heavy" like Billy the Kid :beerchug: Year 1921

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #2,412 of 4,718
May i consider to buy smabat m2 pro (ot has good discount now) as a housing unit and play with the drivers as many recommended here ? Is it compatible with most 15,4mm drivers ? for example with this one : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001103895371.html
Truth is I have been thinking about this for a wile, not sure if the ring around the driver will come off so easily. Its worth a try, but I am focused on doing home renovations, it will be a while before I spend anything on audio gear......

If you do try it, let us know how your results do

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #2,413 of 4,718
Swapped my DIY 16Ω SR2 drivers onto the X12 Pro TWS. Seems to be a better pairing than the ETS 32Ω 'bass' drivers.

Looks wise, went from this:

To this:

(This pic is actually of my Yuin PK2 drivers, but has same style cover as the DIY SR2 16Ω)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #2,414 of 4,718
I also tried to make the old variant BLACK docomo shell compatible with mmcx.

The old docomo variant shell amplifies the mid-low but I found the sound is a little blurry, so when I covered the "rear" vent that @furyossa says with ointment and changed it to a donut-shaped ear pad, the low became tight and the treble became clear.

If you have the same complaints about the old docomo variant shell, try it out.
old docomo mmcx 2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #2,415 of 4,718
May suggest "Eight Pack" for the 130 Ohm? I think that is quite distinctive to that model. :ksc75smile:

Thanks for starting this, @furyossa I agree with the idea and your proposals, may I suggest pronouncing it "Barry"? I feel it sounds nicer, and sounds more like a 'name'
What do you think?
We need to come up with a name for 19-21kHz soon! Any suggestions?

DIY member in Indonesia here. From those shops, Tokopedia has more reputable stores selling DIY parts. Unfortunately, none of those stores advertising PK1 red film driver have registered any sales of that model. It is a common practice to list a unique item to bring traffic to their store, but when you ask them, they'll say it's out of stock. There is one store that I know have them in stock as of last year, but I think they've run out of it and no longer has it in their page.
Do you know which store has them? All of the stores are out of stock and said that it is discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back