DIY Earbuds
Aug 29, 2020 at 1:07 AM Post #2,161 of 4,721
I am interresting in the mesurement graph of your RedFilm DIY PK1 earbuds.
I want to see the graph displayed together with RY4S and ME80.

Below is the FR graph of the original Yuin PK1 (PK2) which I picked up on the web.
YuinPK1 vs YuinPK2.jpg
YuinPK1_innerfidelity_FR_Graph.jpg

I only have one good driver of the 150Ω diy pk1 redfilm at the moment. I'll swap it onto a shell and get a measurement though.

Aug 29, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #2,162 of 4,721
Finally had a listen to those 14.8mm 120Ω beryllium drivers.

Impressions w/foam covers: they are overly warm and a bit too mid-centric. The highs are there but overshadowed. Bass is present but rolls off towards sub-bass (as expected).

Impressions w/o foams: warm, mid-centric but the highs are not as overshadowed. Bass is there but even lighter and will be highly fit dependant.

Of my other buds, they are most similar sounding to the N55 64Ω and Original Yuin PK2. N55 is a little less warm and the PK2 has slightly more treble.

If you have a noisy source (higher output impedance or excessive gain over BT, like the BT20S) these would work well with it.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,163 of 4,721
I came up with a way that works better than my molded ear. Just requires some tubing, e6000 glue and hot glue.

Various vinyl tubing and one latex for the connection to the mic.
IMG_20200820_173358.jpg

Staggered them to make a 'bowl' like area. Filled in with e6000 glue. Still wet in this picture and needed a second layer.
IMG_20200820_173614.jpgIMG_20200820_174242.jpg

Cut the largest diameter tubing into a 3 prong claw or crown shape. Roughed up the inside of the tubing with a razor blade at the tips (for better adhesion) and applied hot glue.
IMG_20200820_174608.jpg

The crown or claw can slide up and down the inner core to change fit depending on earbud shape. The arms flex and fold so earbuds can be inserted, positioned and removed relatively easily. I'm able to take repeatable measurements fairly easily, still some finickiness but not bad at all.
IMG_20200820_174719.jpg

Here's some comparisons of the two different couplers I made. It is easier to get repeat results with the claw/crown style. It also seems to catch upper mids & especially treble better.

These are the measurements that seem mostly the same. There were several that were massively different (mostly in the bass & lower mids) depending on fit until I figured out what positions worked best.

Couplers - Fake ear vs Claw.jpg
RY4S and Adapter test.jpg
Amazing solution for a coupler. Really nice invention.

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #2,164 of 4,721
Finally had a listen to those 14.8mm 120Ω beryllium drivers.

Impressions w/foam: they are overly warm and a bit too mid-centric. The highs are there but overshadowed. Bass is present but rolls off towards sub-bass (as expected).

Impressions w/o foam: warm, mid-centric but the highs are not as overshadowed. Bass is there but even lighter and will be highly fit dependant.

Of my other buds, they are most similar sounding to the N55 64Ω and Original Yuin PK2. N55 is a little less warm and the PK2 has slightly more treble.

If you have a noisy source (higher output impedance or excessive gain over BT, like the BT20S) these would work well with it.
So PK1 150ohm "red-film" is still the best DIY 14.8mm?

Aug 29, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #2,166 of 4,721
I'd say yes.
The reason why is an expensive driver. :sunglasses: Even after 3-4 years it still "holds the crown" :trophy:
Maybe next year we will see some DIY DLC driver as a new competitor 😉

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #2,167 of 4,721
@jogawag
Earbuds (PK1_RY4S_ME80).jpg

Still not sure what is up with the resonance at 2.2k-2.4k as I haven't finished my coupler setup 100% yet.

Aug 30, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #2,168 of 4,721
@jogawag

Still not sure what is up with the resonance at 2.2k-2.4k as I haven't finished my coupler setup 100% yet.

Thanks, @assassin10000.

I also had PK1 (Red Film) earbuds before. PK1(RedFilm) has a beautiful treble, but the bass under 100Hz is weak.

After all the Docomo driver with the best sound balance is the best DIY 14.8mm for me. It is famous that Docomo driver is used in Shozy Cygnus and Shozy BK.
Below is the FR graph displaying Docomo earbuds and Shozy Cygnus and DIY SR, I picked up the graph on the Russian web site. (Please don't see over 20KHz part.)

However, most of my earbuds/IEMs (DIY SR2, DIY PK1(RedFilm), Shozy Cygnus, Shozy BK, Mohito, MX985, TM9, Dragon2+, K3003, IE800, 10Pro, etc.) other than the Docomo earbuds and Smabat ST10 I had were swept away by the flood damage due to the collapse of the river embankment nearby at 2019 autumn...

By the way, @assassin10000 you have SR2 earbuds and you like them. I want to ask you to add SR2 to the graph and I want to see displayed together with PK1(RedFilm).

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #2,169 of 4,721
@jogawag
Comparison (PK1R_PK2_ME80_RY4S).jpg

Just an FYI, the PK2, ME80 & RY4S are gone so I won't be able to do anymore direct comparisons to them. As I will be changing to a slightly different coupler.

Spent this afternoon into this evening making and testing a bunch of different versions of my DIY earbud coupler. I was trying to get as close to my DIY ear mold as I could.

As you can see, there were a few iterations:
Coupler Testing (mod cal).jpg

All said and done, it looks like I've got something fairly close. This graph shows my DIY ear, 1st version of the crown or claw style coupler and the last one I tested.

Coupler Test v15 (mod cal).jpg

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #2,170 of 4,721
Hi there! long time no see, I'm still enjoying a lot my new hobby: freestyle drone fpv :wink: hope you guys are well since?
Is there anything better than our best favorite drivers 19-21kHz since @robar ?
I'm still amazed by my mod, they are so far the best earbuds I listened since so many years now.
All my other earbuds takes dust. Each day at work, coupled with my ES100, it's a pure joy.
Sometimes this earbuds DIY hobby miss me but I have so much to do with my drones now that I don't have enough time to go back to earbuds DIY for now :frowning2:
Cheers' everybody, keep safe! :thumbsup:

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,171 of 4,721
Hi there! long time no see, I'm still enjoying a lot my new hobby: freestyle drone fpv :wink: hope you guys are well since?
Is there anything better than our best favorite drivers 19-21kHz since @robar ?
I'm still amazed by my mod, they are so far the best earbuds I listened since so many years now.
All my other earbuds takes dust. Each day at work, coupled with my ES100, it's a pure joy.
Sometimes this earbuds DIY hobby miss me but I have so much to do with my drones now that I don't have enough time to go back to earbuds DIY for now :frowning2:
Cheers' everybody, keep safe! :thumbsup:
Hi there, I'm happy to hear from you :) I haven't tried any new drivers since then, as small packages just don't arrive (just got refund for a 4 months old untracked package - props to NSC store again for the support) and shipping costs got high in most cases. I don't want to invest in pricier drivers at the moment, it feels like gambling for me, shipping is risky and possible sound improvement is small. I still have a lot of shells that are unusable without glue, so I want to deal with those first, I regret that I bought them :/ Anyways, I would be interested in the titanium composite 64ohm, the 400ohm graphene and other variations of the 19-21 family, but I doubt that the extra investment would be justified by their SQ. I hope new models will come out in autumn and shipping gets a bit better. :)

I'm still slowly tweaking some of my builds, will post soon. My most notable audio buy recently: I've just ordered the Xiaomi Mi 2 headphones for situations where I need more isolation, it has sturdy foldable design, large graphene drivers, good reviews from head-fi, costs about 38usd. Also I plan to mod some of my older headphones as a side project :)

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #2,172 of 4,721
@robar were you ever able to take those comparison measurements of the different tuning paper/foam covering the holes?

Since measurements have been on my mind recently lol.

Did a couple more revisions of my earbud coupler. I don't know if I can make it any better from here. A new set of jaws with a slightly lower height on the hot glue pads, as well as slightly longer base. That and made neater 'correct' length tubes instead of various staggered ones.

Here's v.17 (with a few prior ones and extra pieces).
IMG_20200901_165010.jpg
v17 Coupler (mod cal).jpg

Also since I was taking measurements (and I was curious) I did a comparison of full, donut and offset donut foams. To see if there was a measurable difference.

Neat how the offset version actually balances between the two.
Foam testing.jpg

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #2,173 of 4,721
Forgot to post these:

The 120Ω beryllium driver covers were swapped from the 16.7mm plastic ones to the smaller O.D. stainless ones.
IMG_20200902_154316.jpg

Measurements on 1st version coupler:
Earbuds (N55_PK2_Be).jpg

Warm, mid-centric and somewhat similar to the original Yuin PK2, except with less treble. This is without additional tuning or EQ.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #2,174 of 4,721
@robar were you ever able to take those comparison measurements of the different tuning paper/foam covering the holes?

Since measurements have been on my mind recently lol.

Did a couple more revisions of my earbud coupler. I don't know if I can make it any better from here. A new set of jaws with a slightly lower height on the hot glue pads, as well as slightly longer base. That and made neater 'correct' length tubes instead of various staggered ones.

Here's v.17 (with a few prior ones and extra pieces).
IMG_20200901_165010.jpg
v17 Coupler (mod cal).jpg

Also since I was taking measurements (and I was curious) I did a comparison of full, donut and offset donut foams. To see if there was a measurable difference.

Neat how the offset version actually balances between the two.
Foam testing.jpg
Sorry for the late reply, I'll get back to you in the close future! I plan to tweak some of my builds with that technique, will make some measurements along the way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back