DIY Earbuds
Oct 23, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #121 of 4,721
Any sources or varieties you would recommend? I wouldn't mind to make a few sets with 3M cables to reach across the room
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry, nothing I know of in particular. There are tons and tons of Aliexpress stores selling coils of nice oxygen free copper and silver plated copper wire advertised as headphone wire. You could also use something like this if you wanted some fancy stuff. but it's all copper... http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2

Oct 23, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #122 of 4,721
Sorry, nothing I know of in particular. There are tons and tons of Aliexpress stores selling coils of nice oxygen free copper and silver plated copper wire advertised as headphone wire. You could also use something like this if you wanted some fancy stuff. but it's all copper... http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2

Thanks, I'm going to explore that option. I'm probably getting way ahead of myself since I haven't even recabled a single set. :D

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #123 of 4,721

I found these silicon rings that came with some other earphones that I had. On the AUglamour RX-1, together with the full foam, the mid-bass & upper bass has become stronger. And generally a louder sound from a better seal.

These on Ali should do as well:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Rubber-ring-for-earbuds-15mm-16mm-MX980-MX985-OMX985-MX880/923848_32324321353.html

I think, generally, anything that can widen the RX-1's outer diameter by about 1 mm should do was well.

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #124 of 4,721

Hi guys

My surven L plug arrived today. Pretty bare bones. I wonder what sheath are suitable to hold the wire together. Some kind of epoxy or just straight shrink wrap? I have some shrink wrap but they're too thin. Others mind sharing their project pic?

My cable on its way but it already terminated with plug. I'm taking time collecting raw material first. After this I'll order some wire

Oct 26, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #125 of 4,721
Looks like Oyaide style plug, so you can get these end piece. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/diy-3-5mm-headphone-plug-tail-hole-protective-sleeve-Fever-wire-braided-tail-protection-Repair-applicable/2035088447.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000013.6.rumif7&scm=1007.13339.33317.0&pvid=8fea1fba-897a-4415-b339-e0c01c2b5b12&tpp=1

More waiting from China for you. LOL

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #126 of 4,721
Oct 26, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #128 of 4,721

Hi guys

My surven L plug arrived today. Pretty bare bones. I wonder what sheath are suitable to hold the wire together. Some kind of epoxy or just straight shrink wrap? I have some shrink wrap but they're too thin. Others mind sharing their project pic?

My cable on its way but it already terminated with plug. I'm taking time collecting raw material first. After this I'll order some wire

Just heatshrink IMO. Glue usually makes repair a pain which strongly outweighs the benefits of using it during construction.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #129 of 4,721
Have done some testing on my monk plus tonight. First I tried the Ozkan mod of bluetac on the back of the headshell. That focused the bass slightly. Next I filled the headshell with cotton, but that made things too muffled. Next I removed the thick foam tuning material but that made the highs way too shrill. Next I added some cotton where the tuning material was previously and blocked out the center vents with blue tac to try and be the bass up. I was not thrilled with the results so took the cotton out and replaced with thin monk foam material.

So far I'm liking this a lot. I don't like it more than stock monk plus but it definitely has increased sound stage with a fairly obvious v shape. Pretty fun sound for rock which is all I have tested it with thus far. Apologies for my unsightly fingernails lol.

Oct 26, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #130 of 4,721
This is technically not a DIY-mod, but I think it fits here better than the main earbud section.

For Monk Plus owners that find MP to be too veiled or overly warm, try this with your player EQ.
-  At about 250hz to 350hz, drop the EQ by 3 to 5db. That's all.

I've tried this on a few MPs and players. The veil recedes quite a bit, while other parts of the spectrum brightens.
IMHO, it's worthy of a trial if you have a dark-sounding Monk Plus.

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #132 of 4,721

Please do share the posts you found. 

I found it last night using AE apps. this one I found today, maybe not same I have to check later

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4Pcs-DIY-3-5MM-Tail-Socket-Plug-For-Diameter-4mm-Series-3-5mm-Tail-Hole-Protective/731439_32656638894.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-5mm-headphone-plug-tail-mouth-protective-sleeve/2043396952.html?spm=2114.10010108.1000010.2.jSKjAA&scm=1007.13438.37934.0&pvid=191c28a3-cecf-4131-9e76-2c5c112e75d1&tpp=1

my keywords are 3.5mm & tail. might not be the same but perhpas usefull for others

Oct 27, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #133 of 4,721
Have done some testing on my monk plus tonight. First I tried the Ozkan mod of bluetac on the back of the headshell. That focused the bass slightly. Next I filled the headshell with cotton, but that made things too muffled. Next I removed the thick foam tuning material but that made the highs way too shrill. Next I added some cotton where the tuning material was previously and blocked out the center vents with blue tac to try and be the bass up. I was not thrilled with the results so took the cotton out and replaced with thin monk foam material.

So far I'm liking this a lot. I don't like it more than stock monk plus but it definitely has increased sound stage with a fairly obvious v shape. Pretty fun sound for rock which is all I have tested it with thus far. Apologies for my unsightly fingernails lol.

Actually Monk and Monk plus will sound both different when you use the same materials. Instead of bluetac I'd recommend a small amount of cotton for Monk plus and in my opinion extra foam is useless. :thumbsup:

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #134 of 4,721
Actually Monk and Monk plus will sound both different when you use the same materials. Instead of bluetac I'd recommend a small amount of cotton for Monk plus and in my opinion extra foam is useless. :thumbsup:

I removed the original foam that was already there. I tried cotton in the headshell as stuffing as well as around the driver only. With the original foam removed I didn't care for either of these. First was too muffled and the second was too much of a treble spike.. When I still had the original tuning material in place the cotton made much less of a difference. When I put the monk foam there in place of the original material, I immediately preferred the results.

Granted I did not measure them and it was just my ears, but that is what has sounded best to me so far :)

Ozkan do you have a measurement rig? I'm thinking about building one, but not sure what is required for a budget setup.

Oct 27, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #135 of 4,721
Still amazed at how good the modified Philips SHE3800 sound even compared to my modified monk plus.  Really incredible.  I need to do some more work to bring up the mids back up a touch on the modified monk plus.  Back to the lab!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back