DIY Earbuds
Dec 17, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #256 of 4,749
  Oh wow! Thanks! That is very valuable knowledge!

Thank-you!

I've broken drivers exactly like that so many times now.

1 side of PT15, before i reazlied they were glued in 
rolleyes.gif

1 set of H180 but I just wanted them for the shells anyway
1 set of Vido (fell off the table 3 times while trying to solder.... stupid)

On the bright side.... I found my last good pair of E100 
eek.gif
 so I'm gonna put a cable that isn't total garbage on it :)

Dec 18, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #257 of 4,749
  I've broken drivers exactly like that so many times now.

1 side of PT15, before i reazlied they were glued in 
rolleyes.gif

1 set of H180 but I just wanted them for the shells anyway
1 set of Vido (fell off the table 3 times while trying to solder.... stupid)

On the bright side.... I found my last good pair of E100 
eek.gif
 so I'm gonna put a cable that isn't total garbage on it :)

I am going to recable my 320Ohm V1 which is no longer being sold and my GSG BBS. Hope nothing bad happens.

Dec 18, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #259 of 4,749
@gwompki
@Ira Delphic
 do you guys braid your cable before recabling earbuds or solder then braid?

Thanks!

Sounds like you are taking on a bigger project than I have had the guts to try. I have only bought pre-braided/pre-terminated cables from Ali.

I would think you would want to braid your cable first so you don't risk damaging the driver imho.

What kind of cable are you using? I'm intrigued.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #260 of 4,749
Sounds like you are taking on a bigger project than I have had the guts to try. I have only bought pre-braided/pre-terminated cables from Ali.

I would think you would want to braid your cable first so you don't risk damaging the driver imho.

What kind of cable are you using? I'm intrigued.

Here you go mate:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.0YCQbd&id=540678606174&_u=i2i926dj002f

I basically bought 25 meters of white and 25 meters of black.
The cable seems like it is same as those found on the SeaHF 320 Ohm v2, which is very soft as they are PU coated rather than Teflon. They are also quite similar to Shozy Cygnus cable, though only a wee bit harder. From the page, it seems they also mentioned that it is the sock cable for 1964 ears iem(highly doubt it).

The reason I am doing the braiding myself id because I also braid paracord, kumihimo, and have experience braiding 12 strand for my DIY mini to mini. What I lack is just the experience of soldering to an earbud driver. 

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #261 of 4,749
Here you go mate:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.0YCQbd&id=540678606174&_u=i2i926dj002f

I basically bought 25 meters of white and 25 meters of black.

The cable seems like it is same as those found on the SeaHF 320 Ohm v2, which is very soft as they are PU coated rather than Teflon. They are also quite similar to Shozy Cygnus cable, though only a wee bit harder. From the page, it seems they also mentioned that it is the sock cable for 1964 ears iem(highly doubt it).

The reason I am doing the braiding myself id because I also braid paracord, kumihimo, and have experience braiding 12 strand for my DIY mini to mini. What I lack is just the experience of soldering to an earbud driver. 

Man that sounds cool! Where do you live? I'd be happy to do the soldering for you unless the shipping would be cost prohibitive (I'm in the southeast US). The only thing that might be a concern would be with Paracord getting the cable into the shell. Mx500 shells have a fairly large opening but might be tricky with Paracord.

I'm really excited to see your cable...I would really like one made from this material so can't wait to learn from your experience. Please post photos as you progress.

Feel free to ask any other questions as you progress. I'm happy to share my limited experience.

Dec 18, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #262 of 4,749
Man that sounds cool! Where do you live? I'd be happy to do the soldering for you unless the shipping would be cost prohibitive (I'm in the southeast US). The only thing that might be a concern would be with Paracord getting the cable into the shell. Mx500 shells have a fairly large opening but might be tricky with Paracord.

I'm really excited to see your cable...I would really like one made from this material so can't wait to learn from your experience. Please post photos as you progress.

Feel free to ask any other questions as you progress. I'm happy to share my limited experience.

Thank-you for the generosity mate! Shipping cost and waiting time alone would be close to a month if I were to send it to you hahaha. But I humbly accept your thoughts.

Will post photo of the build once it reaches my hometown. The cables and other peripherals are still in the air being sent to my hometown as I type this. Probably will arrive there by this wednesday GMT+8.00.

As for paracord, what I meant was I like to braid paracord, but I am not going to use it on any form of cable as they trap dust and gunk quite easily hahaha.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #264 of 4,749
Say hello to the ****-Qian39. I destroyed the PT15 trying to open it up to add tuning pad hoping to improve the bass. i figure why not use the case on the drivers from Qian 39, since they are slightly small drivers compare to usual MX500. Might tame the bass a little. I use the tuning pad from a pair of Monk Plus and glue to the Qian 39 drivers. On the Qian39, the sponge is glue to the case, **** cases are designed differently. The driver is slightly larger than **** case, but with a bit glue, it stayed put. How do they sound? Can't really tell, my right ear just underwent a Stapedotomy, it'll take weeks to recover (hopefully). Just want to share a fun project. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:12 AM Post #266 of 4,749
Say hello to the ****-Qian39. I destroyed the PT15 trying to open it up to add tuning pad hoping to improve the bass. i figure why not use the case on the drivers from Qian 39, since they are slightly small drivers compare to usual MX500. Might tame the bass a little. I use the tuning pad from a pair of Monk Plus and glue to the Qian 39 drivers. On the Qian39, the sponge is glue to the case, **** cases are designed differently. The driver is slightly larger than **** case, but with a bit glue, it stayed put. How do they sound? Can't really tell, my right ear just underwent a Stapedotomy, it'll take weeks to recover (hopefully). Just want to share a fun project. 

Can't wait to hear the results. I really want to make an earbud with detachable cables.

Dec 24, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #267 of 4,749
How did it go? That cable looks awesome. Can't wait to see the results.

I killed my SeaHF 320Ohm V1 discontinued driver, not by soldering or any other thing but by opening up the earbud too quickly, seperating the diaphragm from the magnetic unit......Replacement 320Ohm driver units (new version) inbound from bug bro.  

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #268 of 4,749
I killed my SeaHF 320Ohm V1 discontinued driver, not by soldering or any other thing but by opening up the earbud too quickly, seperating the diaphragm from the magnetic unit......Replacement 320Ohm driver units (new version) inbound from bug bro.  

Doh! Sorry to hear that! I killed my favorite buds recently too...So disheartening

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #269 of 4,749
Doh! Sorry to hear that! I killed my favorite buds recently too...So disheartening

Nah, when I went into this hobby and DIY, I instantly knew that I would be screwed over by mistakes. I was and still is prepared for it......however, it can really be discouraging sometimes when all the effort is wasted.

I have made and throw away many mini to mini cables due to short-circuits, but this time, there was no problem with my wiring, rather it was the driver, so although sad, I am not frustrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back