DIY Earbuds
Jul 22, 2020 at 10:30 PM Post #2,026 of 4,714
Can anyone help me identify this Sony earphone?

I got a pair with a bad cable for free, and if they are decent I can recable them. But if they’re low end junk, I’ll just reuse the shell.

There is no model identification, because the cable was cut off. I know the model is usually listed on the y splitter. So that’s not really an option.

Any help is appreciated

6514E328-9D42-4451-9C95-C507E91C3898.jpeg2E4E3697-6D7E-4D17-AE65-7D2D1FC5ADDD.jpeg36024912-6B97-4CEA-B658-1ADE399A0E25.jpeg236B8160-5798-4464-B304-11328459DAC8.jpeg

The Sony earbuds model number is printed on the branch of the cable.
It's printed on my few Sony earbuds.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #2,027 of 4,714
Comparing it to the E808, it’s different.
The little triangle vent in the E808 has a bar splitting the triangle in half. Mine doesn’t have that bar.
Also, the vent on the E808 next to the cable is offset to the side slightly. Mine is perfectly centered.
Finally, the E808 shell has a curved “swirl” indented into shell by the triangular vent. Mine doesn’t have that.
Maybe mine are vintage fake -----?
I don't know if a genuine E808 does exist, but it looks like a variant of E808+ that I use.
- The rear shell looks similar to E808+ ones.
- The front cover is different. E808+ holes placement are arranged in five-of-diamond fashion.
- The number of metal vent holes on the driver are also different. E808+ had 14 holes, IIRC.

EDIT: I can't recommend E808+ even though I like them. There were so many variants out there even from few years ago (ie: they sounded like crap). I bought a bagful of them from different sellers just to weed out the bad ones. I think the good-to-bad ratio was something like 30:70. Never again!
EDIT2:
5 of diamonds.jpg 14holes.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #2,028 of 4,714
The Sony earbuds model number is printed on the branch of the cable.
It's printed on my few Sony earbuds.

I can’t read the model from the cable split, because the cable was cut off (I only have the shells with about 1/4” of cable).

So that’s not really an option.

Jul 22, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #2,029 of 4,714
I don't know if a genuine E808 does exist, but it looks like a variant of E808+ that I use.
- The rear shell looks similar to E808+ ones.
- The front cover is different. E808+ holes placement are arranged in five-of-diamond fashion.
- The number of metal vent holes on the driver are also different. E808+ had 14 holes, IIRC.

EDIT: I can't recommend E808+ even though I like them. There were so many variants out there even from few years ago (ie: they sounded like crap). I bought a bagful of them from different sellers just to weed out the bad ones. I think the good-to-bad ratio was something like 30:70. Never again!

Ah, ok. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll just reuse the shells then, and put some better drivers in :)

Jul 23, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #2,030 of 4,714
Comparing it to the E808, it’s different.

The little triangle vent in the E808 has a bar splitting the triangle in half. Mine doesn’t have that bar.

Also, the vent on the E808 next to the cable is offset to the side slightly. Mine is perfectly centered.

Finally, the E808 shell has a curved “swirl” indented into shell by the triangular vent. Mine doesn’t have that.

Maybe mine are vintage fake Sonys?

MDR-E808:
It might be a fake just by looking at your comparison, but I don't know for sure since those E808s exists in different flavors.*

Looks like the mystery has been solved! I really need to refresh my browser now and then. 😆

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #2,031 of 4,714
FYI, I might have found a 3rd version of the 15.4mm beryllium driver.

It’s a 500ohm driver, and has slightly different sensitivity specs than the 600ohm driver. The driver surround is red instead of blue:

I messaged the seller to see if it was a mistake, and they verified that it is indeed 500ohm.
That is 500ohm driver for sure but not beryllium-coated but graphene-coated. It has very similar Freq.Graph and 600ohm driver
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32985345691.html

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #2,032 of 4,714
I found these old earbuds in a box I put away few years ago. (long before I started earbud diy, but somehow I knew they could be interesting in the future haha) Have you tried these shells, any experience with compatibility, tuning etc? Maybe it's possible to build something decent with better speakers, could be a quick fun project. I just wanted to ask you before I disassemble them :)
The one on the left was the first earbud I bought from aliexpress a few years ago, the shell looks like standard 15.4 from the outside. The other two were accessories for mobile phones I guess. The middle Sony looks like 14.8mm but I have to disassemble it to confirm. The third earbud has a curious shape, I like the mx500-style double vent on the stem. I think I've seen something similar on aliexpress but I don't know if it's compatible with any circular driver cover.
IMG_20200723_161808385-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #2,033 of 4,714
Jul 23, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #2,034 of 4,714
I found these old earbuds in a box I put away few years ago. (long before I started earbud diy, but somehow I knew they could be interesting in the future haha) Have you tried these shells, any experience with compatibility, tuning etc? Maybe it's possible to build something decent with better speakers, could be a quick fun project. I just wanted to ask you before I disassemble them :)
The one on the left was the first earbud I bought from aliexpress a few years ago, the shell looks like standard 15.4 from the outside. The other two were accessories for mobile phones I guess. The middle Sony looks like 14.8mm but I have to disassemble it to confirm. The third earbud has a curious shape, I like the mx500-style double vent on the stem. I think I've seen something similar on aliexpress but I don't know if it's compatible with any circular driver cover.
IMG_20200723_161808385-01.jpeg
Some time ago, someone came up with the concept of "flat" cables which allegedly solved the problem of entanglement ie. "tangle-free" solution.
For me personally the main problem is the "springy" effect which is common with these cables and microphonics.
I had several such earbuds that I got with the phones or bought for testing.
The biggest complaint of all of them is very, very cheap plastic used for shells and not common driver size.
Even cover shape is so unique for most of these models. They did this to provide better comfort without the use of pads. Of course, this causes other problems like slipping, lack of bass, harsh treble, in one-word DISCOMFORT.

Your 1st model seams to use standard 15.4mm mesh-cover driver but the question is whether the shell holds the cover (has "lips") or is it just glued to shell body.
2nd model has is a familiar cover concept. Rubber ring holds a mesh grid in front of the driver. I had a similar model, the size below 14.8mm (13.5-13.8mm).
I couldn't use them for anything, even the cables they use have such thin wires, even thinner then MMCX short wires.
3rd model has a bump on the cover. I had trouble taking off this cover because of glue. The size is around 15mm or so, I can't remember.
Your model has an interesting "advanced" vent system from the back. :)

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #2,035 of 4,714
Some time ago, someone came up with the concept of "flat" cables which allegedly solved the problem of entanglement ie. "tangle-free" solution.
For me personally the main problem is the "springy" effect which is common with these cables and microphonics.
I had several such earbuds that I got with the phones or bought for testing.
The biggest complaint of all of them is very, very cheap plastic used for shells and not common driver size.
Even cover shape is so unique for most of these models. They did this to provide better comfort without the use of pads. Of course, this causes other problems like slipping, lack of bass, harsh treble, in one-word DISCOMFORT.

Your 1st model seams to use standard 15.4mm mesh-cover driver but the question is whether the shell holds the cover (has "lips") or is it just glued to shell body.
2nd model has is a familiar cover concept. Rubber ring holds a mesh grid in front of the driver. I had a similar model, the size below 14.8mm (13.5-13.8mm).
I couldn't use them for anything, even the cables they use have such thin wires, even thinner then MMCX short wires.
3rd model has a bump on the cover. I had trouble taking off this cover because of glue. The size is around 15mm or so, I can't remember.
Your model has an interesting "advanced" vent system from the back. :)
I had a few minutes to quickly test the first two out. The first one (checked the name: BYZ S600, bought it for 3.5usd in 2016) is standard 15.4mm and there wasn't any glue. MX500 style plastic covers are somewhat loose but DP100 and steel mesh covers snap on perfectly. The flat cable is hideous, really stiff and just annoying. I left one half in stock condition for future comparison, but I replaced the cable on the other side and put a vido driver in place with dp100 cover. I think this will be a nice diy subject, plenty of opportunity for improvement, and the shape has pretty good fit in my ears. I just need to find a good tuning setup and a decent speaker with suitable cover, I hope it'll work. (the stock speaker doesn't seem very bad, maybe I can make it work) Do you think a small vent on the top would make sense? I'll test the speakers and tunings further in the close future, and post photos from the inside etc. :) The plastic is not top quality but quite okay, I had much much worse :D

The second one (Sony) has very nice plastic quality and the venting system looks smart. The speaker is standard 14.8mm. The edge of the steel mesh is not hard plastic but deteriorating rubbery stuff instead so I had to do something about it. I could remove the speaker from it and put it into regular PK cover from a dead SR2 driver. It snaps on perfectly. I didn't have time to test further, but overall this shell looks like a nice yuin PK alternative.

I didn't have time to open up the third one, it's glued down just like you said. I'm afraid it's not usable for anything but it would be nice to put a 15.4mm speaker on it.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #2,036 of 4,714
I had a few minutes to quickly test the first two out. The first one (checked the name: BYZ S600, bought it for 3.5usd in 2016) is standard 15.4mm and there wasn't any glue. MX500 style plastic covers are somewhat loose but DP100 and steel mesh covers snap on perfectly. The flat cable is hideous, really stiff and just annoying. I left one half in stock condition for future comparison, but I replaced the cable on the other side and put a vido driver in place with dp100 cover. I think this will be a nice diy subject, plenty of opportunity for improvement, and the shape has pretty good fit in my ears. I just need to find a good tuning setup and a decent speaker with suitable cover, I hope it'll work. (the stock speaker doesn't seem very bad, maybe I can make it work) Do you think a small vent on the top would make sense? I'll test the speakers and tunings further in the close future, and post photos from the inside etc. :) The plastic is not top quality but quite okay, I had much much worse :D

The second one (Sony) has very nice plastic quality and the venting system looks smart. The speaker is standard 14.8mm. The edge of the steel mesh is not hard plastic but deteriorating rubbery stuff instead so I had to do something about it. I could remove the speaker from it and put it into regular PK cover from a dead SR2 driver. It snaps on perfectly. I didn't have time to test further, but overall this shell looks like a nice yuin PK alternative.

I didn't have time to open up the third one, it's glued down just like you said. I'm afraid it's not usable for anything but it would be nice to put a 15.4mm speaker on it.
#1 You already have 4 holes on top. Hmmm... maybe you can try to make a hole that will connect 2nd and 3rd holes together like MX500 side vents.
Also small hole at the back above "B"
#2 For PK-like shell you can try to mimic similar holes position but instead 2 stripe vents you can punch two holes side by side.
#3 The cover is not good, but as I said, do not underestimate "advanced" vent system on the shell :wink:

Jul 24, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #2,037 of 4,714
#1 You already have 4 holes on top. Hmmm... maybe you can try to make a hole that will connect 2nd and 3rd holes together like MX500 side vents.
Also small hole at the back above "B"
#2 For PK-like shell you can try to mimic similar holes position but instead 2 stripe vents you can punch two holes side by side.
#3 The cover is not good, but as I said, do not underestimate "advanced" vent system on the shell :wink:
I tinkered with this stuff way more than I wanted :D
First shell (BYZ): one half has a lot of sticky substance stuck into the stem after removing the cable. I couldn't entirely clean it up yet, maybe I need to floss it or something lol. At the moment I can't push through a cable because of it. I tested the other half, in stock form it's usable, not spectacular but clean sound without any dips or spikes, suitable for a decent build with a good speaker. The stock driver is quite unusual, the bass extension is incredible but the upper range is completely missing.
P1420387.JPG
Sony shell is good, I didn't really make any progress apart from moving both speakers to plastic PK-style. The sound character is close to yuin pk shells, overall it seems a totally viable alternative. It has a vent on top like yuin shell and also a bass port which probably directs the air through the stem. I don't have other traditional 14.8mm speakers so I couldn't test any upgrade.
P1420401.JPGP1420405.JPG
P1420389.JPG
left: BYZ speaker, right: SE speaker

I also opened up the third shell ("advanced vent" in your words), I had to drill through the speaker cover and tear it apart, fortunately the shell itself didn't get damaged. For my surprise, it's compatible with B40 speakers, so it could be considered as "large-style 14.8mm". The overall layout and sound character is also similar to B40-type yuin shell, so one opening on top, and open bass port through second vent on the stem. The opening on top is smaller so it's possible to cover it with part of simple horseshoe foam. The sound is similar, bass is a bit more and maybe the sound is bit more spacious but I haven't bothered with tuning much yet. Not far from original signature, just exaggerated, definitely need tightening on lower and and taming in the upper mids. I'll try to improve on it, so far I just put in the B40 as-is and called it a day. Plastic quality is extremely cheap and the edges are sharp. I think I got this with a guitar tuner more than 10 years ago :D
P1420410.JPGP1420412.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,038 of 4,714
BTW, new 14.8mm DIY set in NSC store: 120ohm Beryllium driver with large PK shell, looks sweet. Is this a new model or have you tried this already from other store? This is the first time I've personally seen this.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001271576204.html

And this bud looks very similar to the third earbud I just disassembled. Not sure if it comes apart like mine but if yes than it's pretty possible that it also could snap on large pk-style (B40) covers. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000892077990.html

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #2,039 of 4,714
I tinkered with this stuff way more than I wanted :D
First shell (BYZ): one half has a lot of sticky substance stuck into the stem after removing the cable. I couldn't entirely clean it up yet, maybe I need to floss it or something lol. At the moment I can't push through a cable because of it. I tested the other half, in stock form it's usable, not spectacular but clean sound without any dips or spikes, suitable for a decent build with a good speaker. The stock driver is quite unusual, the bass extension is incredible but the upper range is completely missing.
P1420387.JPG
Sony shell is good, I didn't really make any progress apart from moving both speakers to plastic PK-style. The sound character is close to yuin pk shells, overall it seems a totally viable alternative. It has a vent on top like yuin shell and also a bass port which probably directs the air through the stem. I don't have other traditional 14.8mm speakers so I couldn't test any upgrade.
P1420401.JPGP1420405.JPG
P1420389.JPG
left: BYZ speaker, right: SE speaker

I also opened up the third shell ("advanced vent" in your words), I had to drill through the speaker cover and tear it apart, fortunately the shell itself didn't get damaged. For my surprise, it's compatible with B40 speakers, so it could be considered as "large-style 14.8mm". The overall layout and sound character is also similar to B40-type yuin shell, so one opening on top, and open bass port through second vent on the stem. The opening on top is smaller so it's possible to cover it with part of simple horseshoe foam. The sound is similar, bass is a bit more and maybe the sound is bit more spacious but I haven't bothered with tuning much yet. Not far from original signature, just exaggerated, definitely need tightening on lower and and taming in the upper mids. I'll try to improve on it, so far I just put in the B40 as-is and called it a day. Plastic quality is extremely cheap and the edges are sharp. I think I got this with a guitar tuner more than 10 years ago :D
P1420410.JPGP1420412.JPG
Yup. The sticky substance is the main ingredient here. Probably they use it for tuning. :)
I also lost my temper with these old models immediately after disassembly. After all, cheap plastic produce more resonance

Jul 24, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #2,040 of 4,714
BTW, new 14.8mm DIY set in NSC store: 120ohm Beryllium driver with large PK shell, looks sweet. Is this a new model or have you tried this already from other store? This is the first time I've personally seen this.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001271576204.html

And this bud looks very similar to the third earbud I just disassembled. Not sure if it comes apart like mine but if yes than it's pretty possible that it also could snap on large pk-style (B40) covers. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000892077990.html
Nice find man, that is new Bery for sure. F-Graph looks very promising, especially treble. Reminiscent of a hybrid in between 10mm and 15.4 driver. It has bass tuning vent from behind covered with fine white textile mesh. Very cool.
20200724-200922.jpg

Where did it go on this image :) Was it erased or something? :) :thinking::thinking: Fake or not?
20200724-200937.jpg

My MSUR C210 has exactly the same vent on beryllium 8mm. Belove 9.2mm titanium driver
20200724-201542.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back