DIY Earbuds
Jul 5, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #1,966 of 4,721
I've cancelled the DIY Tribe order for the time being as I am getting a little overwhelmed with all the combinations! I've earmarked the 32Ohm red film, the 32Ohm Bass, 40Ohm Titanium from NSC and now the GHX N55 64Ohm. I like an overall warm but not dark sound with smooth treble and plenty of mids. Rather than buy a premade 3.5mm pair I like to MMCX mod the shells so I can swap all my cables around and go balanced (which is my preferred mode).

When the AE description says "fever", what does that mean?

Still waiting for my Edifier H180 for the shell fit. I think these have a 15.4mm driver on a 16mm shell? I bought a digital caliper so I can check for myself.

I used taobao once for a DX220 case and it was a real pain. Lots of different steps that were arcane in nature. Never again.
I have also been told fever can mean "audiophile"

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #1,968 of 4,721
Fever: A contagious, enthusiasm or craze about something very popular.
Saturday night fever, movie title from the 70's, disco fever.
Are we talking аbout John Travolta here?:sunglasses:

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #1,970 of 4,721
I've cancelled the DIY Tribe order for the time being as I am getting a little overwhelmed with all the combinations! I've earmarked the 32Ohm red film, the 32Ohm Bass, 40Ohm Titanium from NSC and now the GHX N55 64Ohm. I like an overall warm but not dark sound with smooth treble and plenty of mids.

Of the 14.8mm drivers I've heard and in your list I'd go for the N55 64Ω based on your desired sound.

N55 64Ω - mid centric with a warm tilt, some bass roll off, treble is smooth and a step back from the mids. (GHXAMP is the best deal, NSC and Chittys store also has them. I got mine from NSC, GHXAMP didn't have them a few months ago).

32Ω bass driver - bassy, dark. Mids and treble are recessed (from Earphone Tribe Store).

I've got the 40Ω Ti on order, I haven't tried the 32Ω red film.

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #1,971 of 4,721
New 15.4mm non-mmcx metal shell listing on NSC, for very affordable price. Has anyone tried these, any experience? Thanks! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001206473873.html

BTW, srry for the absence, I'm still waiting for stuff to arrive (e8000 glue and 14.8mm large style speaker from CKLewis), and haven't really done anything special lately. (also, it's macro season and that's my main hobby) I'll definitely get back to this thread more as soon as I have something to tinker with :) I'm just bit fed up with my box of empty shells that are unusable without glue, which is on its way to me since april lol

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #1,972 of 4,721
New 15.4mm non-mmcx metal shell listing on NSC, for very affordable price. Has anyone tried these, any experience? Thanks! https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001206473873.html

BTW, srry for the absence, I'm still waiting for stuff to arrive (e8000 glue and 14.8mm large style speaker from CKLewis), and haven't really done anything special lately. (also, it's macro season and that's my main hobby) I'll definitely get back to this thread more as soon as I have something to tinker with :) I'm just bit fed up with my box of empty shells that are unusable without glue, which is on its way to me since april lol
PM me some photos. Yi lens, did you get it?

Jul 8, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #1,973 of 4,721
Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #1,974 of 4,721
PM me some photos. Yi lens, did you get it?
I ordered it, but It's still in transit, hopefully it'll arrive in a few weeks but the tracking doesn't tell me anything yet. I send my macro instagram account via PM :)

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #1,975 of 4,721
I ordered it, but It's still in transit, hopefully it'll arrive in a few weeks but the tracking doesn't tell me anything yet. I send my macro instagram account via PM :)

What’s a Yi lens?

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #1,976 of 4,721
What’s a Yi lens?
It's the YI 42.5mm F1.8 lens - the cheapest fast prime lens for the Micro 4/3 system. It has AF, supposedly pretty good image quality and a built-in close-up mode. I bought it for less than 40usd, which is absolutely nuts, the cheapest big brand AF lenses start around 200usd. The wide aperture and AF combined with this focal length is a pretty sweet spot for this sensor size. It's the lens equivalent for chi-fi :D

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #1,977 of 4,721
It's the YI 42.5mm F1.8 lens - the cheapest fast prime lens for the Micro 4/3 system. It has AF, supposedly pretty good image quality and a built-in close-up mode. I bought it for less than 40usd, which is absolutely nuts, the cheapest big brand AF lenses start around 200usd. The wide aperture and AF combined with this focal length is a pretty sweet spot for this sensor size. It's the lens equivalent for chi-fi :D

After I saw your photos on Instagram now I understand what you mean by "macro season" hobby. Nice works man. :ok_hand:

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #1,978 of 4,721
Thanks a lot, I'm not quite at the level I aspire to, but I'm working on it.:)

Hi robar, did you end up buying this 150 Ohm driver? Please tell me what you think, especially compared to (our) favorite 19-21 32 Ohm driver. Thank you.
Sorry I've just noticed your post. I haven't bought it in the end, but I think the driver of Rosemary should be very similar or even exactly the same. Rosemary is darker, thicker, smoother, somewhat less detailed and more midcentric compared to 32ohm, but it's hard to compare speakers with different tunings and impedances. However, @subwoof3r has both and he preferred the 32ohm. I would say that the 150ohm is probably a nice choice for vocal/neutral or low-fatigue smooth sound, the 32ohm is more like a closed headphone with punchy and crispy sound. There are places on aliexpress which sell the 150ohm for cheaper than your link, but I'm not sure if it's worth it when the 64ohm titanium is still cheaper (again subwoof3r preferred the 64ohm, I only can make assumptions based on Rosemary vs my 64ohm build, and I prefer the 64ohm as well. Similarly smooth and thick but better bass extension and detail) But feel free to try it, it still should be a pretty nice speaker, might be a better match with certain amps/dacs.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #1,979 of 4,721
Has anyone tried these 14.8mm drivers:
"SR" 16 ohm
https://shopee.ph/product/43253829/4935358979?smtt=0.0.9

"Static-style (?)" 16 ohm
Not really sure what static (assuming it's electrostatic) sounds like in a dynamic driver, maybe less to no bass perhaps?
https://shopee.ph/product/43253829/4635417833?smtt=0.0.9

I wanna try lower impedance builds, and this will be my first project that isn't 15.4mm lol. Usually 32 to 64ohms are my sweet spot but I'm down to try anything

Chitty's store did recommend that SR2 driver to me, but I haven't purchased it (yet). As I have other drivers already on the way.

The other ones description seems like it will be bass light. It's description says poor bass for the first 100 hours and it is not strong after. I'd avoid it based on that.

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #1,980 of 4,721
Has anyone tried these 14.8mm drivers:
"SR" 16 ohm
https://shopee.ph/product/43253829/4935358979?smtt=0.0.9

"Static-style (?)" 16 ohm
Not really sure what static (assuming it's electrostatic) sounds like in a dynamic driver, maybe less to no bass perhaps?
https://shopee.ph/product/43253829/4635417833?smtt=0.0.9

I wanna try lower impedance builds, and this will be my first project that isn't 15.4mm lol. Usually 32 to 64ohms are my sweet spot but I'm down to try anything
Looks like the SR one is the one I tried:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32252667305.html

To me the treble was quite rolled off, so I had to add foams to the back of the driver + cover off some of the vent slots. Mids are pretty nice after the mods. For the bass, the focus seems to be more on the mid bass. I have made a comparison in an earlier post, hope it helps!

Posting this here for anyone who might be interested in starting a DIY earbud project:

"What I learnt after building 5 earbuds"
1. Pre-tin your solder tips!
2. Solder flux helps A LOT
3. To unsolder cables from drivers, wet the solder tip with a tiny amount of molten tin first, then make contact with the solder pad
4. The sound of the earbud shell and cover stuck together by tape (was doing this for ease of re-tuning) vs actually snapped together is mighty different (snapping together significantly reduces mid-bass and increases treble)
5. PK shells are much more tricky to work with vs MX500 shells. My PK shells (from DIY Earphone Tribe Store) came with holes so tiny, my cables could not go through (had to enlarge using a tiny strip of sandpaper). In contrast, MX500 shells were usable straight out of the bag
6. That said, the comfort of PK shells is unbeatable
7. Tuning foam: the thicker it is, the more accentuated mids and highs will be
8. Shell vent holes: more holes = more mid bass, less extended highs
9. Full foams: tames highs, adds more mid-bass
10. Donut foams: adds more mid-bass with negligible effect on highs, but slightly pushes mids back
11. The following are some impressions comparative to some of the more popular earbuds:

DIY drivers I have triedImpressions (based on my opinion)
"DIY EMX500 earphone Speaker 15.4mm speaker HiFi Bass Sound quality Speaker unit MX500 Earphone accessories" from JieTuStock sound (with stock tuning foam) has too extended treble. Exposing 1 round vent hole tames it, bringing the overall signature closer to RY4S UE but with slightly more mid-bass
"2pcs 15.4mm 32 ohm Low Frequency Headphone Driver Speakers with Shell Case N50 Magnetic Flat Headphone DIY for MX500" from NSCStock sound (with stock tuning foam) has too extended treble. Fixable with full Hiegi foams. Resulting treble extension similar to RY4S UE, but mids more recessed and less sub-bass.
"Headphone DIY 15.4mm Speaker Unit 32 Ohm Heavy Bass Headphone Loudspeakers DIY 98.5db" from NSC Audio StoreStock sound (with stock tuning foam) has very extended treble. Fixed with exposing 1 round vent hole + full Hiegi foam. Resulting treble slightly more than RY4S, and significantly more recessed mids (but not as recessed as Qian 69). Mid-bass: more than RY4S but less than Qian 69. Sub-bass: less than RY4S, but more than Qian 69.
"14.8MM speaker unit 32ohms pk1 red film 2pcs" from DIY Earphone Tribe StoreStock sound had very little bass. Exposed both vent slots to try to increase bass response, resulting in mid-bass similar to Qian 69 but less sub-bass. Mids are much more forward than Qian 69 but not as forward as RY4S. Treble is less extended than Qian 69.
"orinigal SR PRO unit YUIN SR earphone speaker unit white 16 ohms 1pair=2pcs" from Chitty's StoreStock sound treble too rolled-off and mids too recessed. Fixed this with blocking off the top vent slot. Resulting treble extension still less extended than Qian 69, but blocking more vents affected bass too much so I left it at that. Mids much more forward than Qian 69 but less forward than RY4S. More mid-bass than Qian 69 but slightly less sub-bass.
Special off-the-shelf earbud mention (due to its peculiarity): MEMT T5Sound signature is very very fit dependant. Mids sound very very recessed initially (when I was wearing it all wrong), but after angling the front vents to point more directly into my earholes (almost wearing it like an IEM), the overall sound signature is actually pretty decent (relatively neutral with mid-bass focus). Fixed it a bit more by blocking 75% of the vent slot with a tiny piece of earbud foam.

Resulting sound: treble extension still less than Qian 69, but mids comparatively forward with more mid-bass and sub-bass than Qian 69.

Hope this helps as a guide for anyone starting out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back