DIY Desktop Headphone Amps: Where to start?
Feb 15, 2012 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lasraik

100+ Head-Fier
I'm halfway decent with electronics and have made a couple of cmoyBB's for fun.   Ready to start building a desktop amp and have read a bit about them.  But much like the cmoy is a good place to start for portable amps, which desktop amp would you suggest starting with?

Don't really have a preference as to type, tubes are pretty cool though.  Size isn't a concern, I'm looking for something that is decent size and I'm looking to start my first project in the $100 or so range.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 14
In that price range, probably the Millet Starving Student is a good place to look.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 14
$100 is pretty low, but there are still a lot of good options I think. In the solid state realm you may be able to squeeze a CKKIII in that budget. Another option that can definitely be done for that much is the objective 2. Also if you can get your hands on a pcb (may not be possible) the wire amp is around that much. Pimeta v2 should also be in that price range.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 14
First you'll have to decide on what type of amp you want to make (OP-based, Discrete BJT, or Tube/Valve). I have made a few OP-based and discrete BJT ones, currently designing a tube amp. Personally I'd recommend a discrete BJT amp since you can get a very good sounding amp with minimal cost.

With 100 US$ you can actually make a very good amp (Unless you want all the "audiophile" components and stuff) and if your 100$ budget includes the case or just the circuit. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 14
If you search 'headphone amplifier kit' on ebay you will find a several come up, some of which look pretty good. There's this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GOLD-A1-Headphone-Amplifier-kit-R-core-transformer-/110655871413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c39a99b5#ht_2285wt_954

which I know that member sarals has built and is pleased with, and from the same source this: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Ver-JHL-Class-Headphone-amplifier-PRE-AMP-KIT-DIY-/120688000810?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1990bf2a#ht_3580wt_954

...I think he means JLH (John Lindsay Hood). You have to provide a transformer for that one.

Not expensive by any standards, and you get quite a lot. Even if it turns out you don't like these amps, you haven't lost a lot.

There are several ready-built amps for < $100 that look pretty good too.

The examples I have posted are from ebay UK, but I'm pretty sure they'll ship anywhere, or just look on the ebay local to you...

w

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 14
If you are interested in a valve amp, have a look at the Starving Student Hybrid. Cheap and it sounds good in my opinion. No need for any expensive transformer either.

I made a stripboard design for it and should lower the cost a little more.

Link in Signature.

Keep us posted

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 14
I usually stay away from eBay kits.  I enjoy finding the parts and ordering them, sorting through each one and finding different alternatives.

TestSubject thanks for the links, I'll check them out

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 14
^^ that one should be objectively fantastic. Those lme49600 buffers are pretty impressive. Not many choices on parts though, other than resistor brand and decoupling cap brand. You get to design your own power supply though. You could even do sort of dual mono if you want 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back