DIY CASES: Cheap suggestions that look good
Jun 4, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #16 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad they're 16lbs each, I'll have fun dragging them home on roller blades
tongue.gif

Seeing that you live in San Francisco, I cannot even begin to describe the imagery that comes to mind after reading this statement!

I'm very curious to see how these Nabu enclosures turn out. From the description, it seems possible that you could replace the plastic front panel with, say, something from Front Panel Express, no?

Jun 4, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 86
The Nabu box turns out like this with a wood panel, and looks like this (well, with my components) on the inside. A lot of the weight is the psu 'guts', and the coax cable that comes with.

I just ordered yet another for a new tube project...

Jun 4, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRobbStory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seeing that you live in San Francisco, I cannot even begin to describe the imagery that comes to mind after reading this statement!

I'm very curious to see how these Nabu enclosures turn out. From the description, it seems possible that you could replace the plastic front panel with, say, something from Front Panel Express, no?

Yes, the hills, the hills! I blade to and from work every day, it's about 20 minutes each way, nice exercise, but almost suicidal carrying anything heavy, the counter-balance is way off on turns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Nabu box turns out like this with a wood panel, and looks like this (well, with my components) on the inside. A lot of the weight is the psu 'guts', and the coax cable that comes with.

Oh my god! That is a beautiful balanced Millet MAX + OPUS! I'm already regretting not simply getting 5 of those cases to have around!
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #19 of 86
I think that would look much nicer if you had lifted up the pots to the centerline but otherwise very nice. Makes me want to buy one of those Nabus instead of paying out my rear end for a Hifi2000 case.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #20 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that would look much nicer if you had lifted up the pots to the centerline but otherwise very nice. Makes me want to buy one of those Nabus instead of paying out my rear end for a Hifi2000 case.

I agree, but I didn't want to airwire the pots... in hindsight, I would next time, if I wasn't going to use a Joshua Tree. My latest Nabu was $28 shipped, but will hold a far more substantial amp, but no DAC this time. I will do a FPE, or commission a local machinist (Alex, fire up the CNC).

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #21 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are there vents on the top panel?

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #22 of 86
No vents top nor side.

Jun 6, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #23 of 86
Would probably need to cut some ventilation in that case to put a beta-22 in it.

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #24 of 86
I know it might not be cheap but does anyone know of any cases simular to the ones used by ray samuels for the tomahawk/hornet/pretador? Any alternatives to hammond cases? I dont like the look of the ridges on the sides but i might just be picky.

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #27 of 86
Another +5 for the NABU cases. That's how many I ordered after pabbi tipped me off to them. At least two will be used for Millett Hybrid MAX-based amps with DACs, Phono stages, and Darwin input selectors built in. Plenty of room for other goodies too. Two more are reserved for a couple of special hybrid builds.

I may have to order another 5 more.

Thanks again for the tip pabbi!

Jun 9, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #28 of 86
+1 for a balanced Bijou... then possibly +1 (or 2) for a KGSS.

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #29 of 86
Can anyone tell me if there's enough room in the Nabu case to put a 3-channel beta-22 with the backplane board?

Jun 9, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #30 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me if there's enough room in the Nabu case to put a 3-channel beta-22 with the backplane board?

I'm not sure, but I made these measurements for another H-F'er:

The case is 465mm wide on the inside, with a divider for the PSU on the left side 105mm from the left outer edge of the case and 359mm width for the main electronics compartment. It is 250mm deep and 85mm high on the inside. The stock, plastic faceplate is 469mmx88mmx11mm.

The mounting screws for the faceplate are approximately 457mm center to center and 67mm center to center, but I didn't measure the mounting hole locations from the corners of the chassis. I will need to do this shortly in order to have a wood front made. There are 4 holes in the front for LED indicators mounted on a PCB that can easily be changed and re-allocated to power and source indication as needed. Mine will used for power, CD, Phono, and AUX source indication for my desktop amp project. The plastic insert that has been silkscreened for the LEDs was easy to remove and would allow a new plastic insert to be glued into place, then screwed back onto the chassis.

A FPE panel would be very easy to layout as well, with room for a VFD display in addition to the LED indicators if you want to get fancy with a new TPA Joshua Tree when it is released. That's my plan for the desktop unit if I can get the display to show all I2P info and MP3 track info from the PC before heading to the DAC.

- BMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back