DIY CASES: Cheap suggestions that look good
Jun 2, 2008 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 86

m0b1liz3

100+ Head-Fier
I have been looking at the various amps and thought that the parts must add up quick. A nice case for example is expensive if you buy it from an actual store for DIY audio. What about everyday items that are often thrown out?

I think I saw a few builds with old computer power supplies but they are a little bit big for headphone amps. Any other suggestions for cheap everyday items that can be made to look really nice as a case??

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 86
I really like external scsi cases - built in switched IEC, great shielding, and indestructible. The ATF is a Sun 911, like this, but a 411, 611, or 811 might work as well. Most all major towns in the US have surplus computer stores, and there are warehouses full of old external drive cases.

Then there is the Nabu, which is a bit large, but, begging to be used more in DIY amps.

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 86
im considering using an aluminum enclosure from a dead external cd drive for my next project

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 86
I am all about the looks, so im thinking about getting a block of wood, doing some woodwork, and making that my case for some projects. If anyone has any objections, pease voice them. I might put up a thread based on this later.

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 86
I think that shielding is not always neccessary but if you end up with noise shielding may help. With electric guitars people use thin copper sheets. These could be molded into a wooden box or even a plastic one and then you could have the tube sticking out of a hole for looks. I wish I was back home where I would have access to a wood shop!

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like external scsi cases - built in switched IEC, great shielding, and indestructible. The ATF is a Sun 911, like this, but a 411, 611, or 811 might work as well. Most all major towns in the US have surplus computer stores, and there are warehouses full of old external drive cases.

Then there is the Nabu, which is a bit large, but, begging to be used more in DIY amps.

Wow, that Nabu box looks absolutely fantastic! I'm so getting one for my Beta22
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 86
The Nabu, at $25 shipped, with the switched IEC, shielded PSU section, screw on front panel, and removable steel top, should be the de riguer selection for any full sized amp / DAC project. Oh, and they have hundreds of them.

Jun 3, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 86
Why limit yourself to metal?

I made a DAC and a source switch out of floor slate left over, a piece of plywood (for the bottom) and aluminium for the top. Make the holes you need at the top, through the aluminum cover, and glue the slates around in the shape of a box...

All these parts I had were leftovers, so no expense!

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am all about the looks, so im thinking about getting a block of wood, doing some woodwork, and making that my case for some projects. If anyone has any objections, pease voice them. I might put up a thread based on this later.

Wood is a great material to work with! If you want some inspiration, check out the early Atwater-Kent radios and other neutrodyne sets. Very cool stuff. The The Atwater-Kent models on breadboards can be approximated with old gauges that have been gutter and had the glass replaced with aluminum. You can get the gauges off eBay for $5-$20 each. More if you want brass ones, though.

Also worth repurposing is old test equipment. There is a LOT of it out there, often cheap. Look for old decade boxes, RF signal generators, TV test sets, and so on. Only the truest of tube geeks use vintage test gear, so you can usually get it cheap. Even better, the gear often has old school knobs, glass jewel indicator lights, and other goodies waiting for reuse.

Shielding is not that important. You should be using shilded cable for B+ and filaments anyway. If yourun into a RFI problem otherwise, there are ways of dealing with it outside of using a metal chassis.

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 86
Embed it in clear (possibly tinted) plastic using easycast. Only difficult part is masking off any moving parts, such as connectors and switches, or use sealed connectors. Might not work as well for tubes as SS.

Another silly choice would be a length of PVC tubing--square, round, or maybe an elbow joint.

Then there's the chick magnet portable case. Hollow out a copy of The Portable Dorothy Parker, and glue some sheet metal to hollowed insides. This works best if your headphones are wireless.

Jun 3, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 86
Maybe not quite as fancy: But I was at a Goodwill today and saw lot's of extra remote controls and cameras in search of a new home/use.

Just think of it. A remote would already have lots of nice little buttons to control volume and power
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #14 of 86
I love scavenging for old wooden boxes from random second-hand stores, they make wonderful amp cases. I'm building a SOHA + JISBOS in one now (of course, there are some dings and cracks on it, but overall it looks great). Super cheap as well. And I just ordered two of those NABU boxes. $53 for two including shipping is amazing! Too bad they're 16lbs each, I'll have fun dragging them home on roller blades
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #15 of 86
I don't know why I didn't think about this but any broken old tuner, amp, vcr etc would do. Just pry off the face plate and buy either a nice piece of wood (ie. bird's eye maple or aluminum). Take out the insides and it is done. Just go to a garage sale and get someone's broken old crap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back