DIY Cable silver 30 awg
Feb 2, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 8
what kind of cable? 30ga is probably enough for something like RCA interconnects, though you would need to provide something to give it some strength and reinforcement. I like Chris VH's method here:

http://www.venhaus1.com/diysilverinterconnects.html

For recabling headphones, many stock cables are no more than 30ga, but are encapsulated in a sheath of plastics (or rubber) which provides the strength necessary, but isn't easily duplicated in a diy setting. You could maybe braid or twist 2-4 strands together to use for each conductor for something like that. A drill might work well for doing that, at least up to 3 strands.

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 8
You don't really need a very fat wire to get headphones singing proud. 2 *30ga strands per phase=4 strands per side is more than enough for an IEM.

The problem is that solid wires are mega-ultra-whoa-crazytoast-micrphonic and you will beg to be fed to the owls after about 2 seconds with them attached to an IEM. With such a thin wire I would also be slightly concerned for durability when attached to a headphone. 

30ga is great for interconnects though :)

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 8
What do you guys think about adding a single strand to either side of a UE custom cable? In theory it should improve it since it is silver.

The main goal of this cable build is to add controls to the cable so i can change the volume on the music. the only headphone i have found with controls made for android is the klipsch s4a ~USD60 (any suggestions on another one is welcomed)

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
In theory it should improve it since it is silver.

Bad theory. I don't think you'll gain anything in sound quality, and due to the stiffness and fragility of solid 30 ga, you'll lose a lot in usability. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back