DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 1, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #8,716 of 10,535
Guys, I have some Klotz star quad cable, and I want to make an aux cable. The outer diameter of the cable is 5.5mm. Will paracord 550, which is 4mm in diameter stretch enough to be used as sleeving? Or is it not recommended?

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #8,718 of 10,535
This thread and the related gallery thread have inspired me. :D Thanks!

Haven't built any cables since mid 2003 (3 pairs of 1M RCA interconnects). But I got the itch to replace the doable but cheap looking NewFantasia cable on my Senn HD580/650 frankencans. :) My newer HD600s wear a nice CustomCansUK braided cable I picked up used.

Ordered from both redco.com and ebay (all US suppliers!). It'll be a dual run of Mogami W2944 2x26AWG wire, Techflex platinum-gray sheathed, Neutrik NP3X-B, and A/V Connection's Senn plug number when I'm done. The later looks to be a nice quality set that should be easier to use than the Cardas style for this septuagenarian. :D Also ordered a cable pants boot...something I've never used before but I felt was a better option for me than the clunky Y splitters or shrink-tube approaches.
argUaxB.jpg

xdeD4N5.jpg

For under $35 I should end up with a very nice looking 6.5' cable (I did buy 16' of wire just in case...). Already have on hand my soldering iron station, Wonder silver solder, 3rd hand, PTFE and electrical tapes, shrink tubing, multi-meter, and a heat gun. :D :)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #8,719 of 10,535
This thread and the related gallery thread have inspired me. :D Thanks!

Haven't built any cables since mid 2003 (3 pairs of 1M RCA interconnects). But I got the itch to replace the doable but cheap looking NewFantasia cable on my Senn HD580/650 frankencans. :) My newer HD600s wear a nice CustomCansUK braided cable I picked up used.

Ordered from both redco.com and ebay (all US suppliers!). It'll be a dual run of Mogami W2944 2x26AWG wire, Techflex platinum-gray sheathed, Neutrik NP3X-B, and A/V Connection's Senn plug number when I'm done. The later looks to be a nice quality set that should be easier to use than the Cardas style for this septuagenarian. :D Also ordered a cable pants boot...something I've never used before but I felt was a better option for me than the clunky Y splitters or shrink-tube approaches.
argUaxB.jpg

xdeD4N5.jpg

For under $35 I should end up with a very nice looking 6.5' cable (I did buy 16' of wire just in case...). Already have on hand my soldering iron station, Wonder silver solder, 3rd hand, PTFE and electrical tapes, shrink tubing, multi-meter, and a heat gun. :D :)
Ummm, I’ve tried the boots. I didn’t like the way they looked on the cable. If you don’t like a y splitter, you might just consider heat shrink at the y.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #8,720 of 10,535
I intend to cut it down quite a bit and I think it'll look much better than plain shrink tube.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #8,721 of 10,535
Apr 3, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #8,725 of 10,535
Apr 3, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #8,726 of 10,535
Great pics, and nice cables. I much prefer the look of just heat shrink or a small Y splitter. For 8 core or more cables, neither is really require if the braiding is done well. Obviously this is a personal preference. This is a simple, solid core silver cable I made for my PMx2.
9940072_l.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #8,729 of 10,535
Thank you, yes I am just experimenting at the moment and wanted to try heatshrink but thought it may tear after a time, I like this cable that you have built, are
the headphone terminals 2.5mm jacks and if so could you please let me know where you got them from as I've ordered some from China and I am expecting
quite a long wait also might I have the cheek to ask you how to solder them, is it positive to the centre and minus to the outer case, sorry but I'm a novice, thank
you in advance.
First off, please don't put your reply inside of the quote tags.

The connection tips are 2.5mm. I got them from https://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/connectors.html
yes, pos to tip and common to sleeve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back