DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 19, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #1,231 of 10,535
I dislike Neutrik as they look boring, feel quite clunky and I generally just dont like them. The neutrik Right angle jacks are not too bad, but for myself I always use straight jacks.

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #1,232 of 10,535
Going back a page, 30 minutes to strip 4 feet of mogami/canare? Well, you'll get better with practice.
Sit down at a table with your favorite razor. Push in until you feel the shielding and run the blade across it as far as you can. I can usually do about 8-10 inches per run. It can help if you tape it down. You can simply slide the shielding off. Loosen both ends by pushing them in to expand them. You can easily slide it off after that with very little effort. 
The process shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes for a six foot length once you get your technique down. 

All of those have their uses. I still feel that it's hard to beat the price/performance ratio of Canare L-4E5C at $0.48/foot or effectively $0.12/foot. You could get the S model for a few cents more if you want larger awg. I just like the way the mini quad easily sleeves. 
Right on! I've only taken out the inner wires out once and was scared to puncture or cut any of the inner wires, you can definitely do it much faster with practice. I wasn't aware that the canare was so cheap!

Jan 19, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,233 of 10,535
Brian is a great craftsman! Hopefully you'll have your D2K's back soon!
Mogami is OFC copper though, and brian uses the 26awg version which is slightly smaller but more flexible. I've worked with both types, you should be happy with the outcome!

Ah OFC good stuff either way 

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #1,234 of 10,535
Right on! I've only taken out the inner wires out once and was scared to puncture or cut any of the inner wires, you can definitely do it much faster with practice. I wasn't aware that the canare was so cheap!

I was the same way on my first cable. Was afraid of cutting through to the inner cables. That shielding does a great job of protecting and is actually perfect for cutting away the PVC. The blade can run right along it as a guide to make the process smooth. You'll actually find that with after a cable or two, there won't even be any damage to the shielding either. 

I just use a cheap $0.99 break away hand razor that you find usually at the counter of hardware stores and it works great. Soon as it gets too dull for my liking, I simply break away to the next one. 

The hardest part has always been keeping the cable from rolling while cutting. Find what works to solve that for your specific setup and you're solid. I actually sit in front of the TV with one of those folding dinner trays when I do it so I can watch stuff while stripping/sleeving. Lazy much? Yeah 
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #1,236 of 10,535
I bought a HD598, looking to DIY cable. Can you guys recommend parts? especially 3.5mm plug. Thanks.
My favorite site for DIY materials has got to be Double Helix Cables, top notch parts from their cables to their mini plugs.

If you want something cheaper Redco has Canare and Mogami cables and a good variety of plugs. I prefer the Neutrik Rean from their offerings.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #1,238 of 10,535
Personally, the only Neutrik connectors I don't like are the straight mini plugs. Bang for the buck, it's very hard to beat Neutrik connectors.
They are extremely well built and easy to work with.

IMHO, the uber expensive 'high-end' connectors are a waste of money. Lots of bling, but I would challenge anyone to actually hear any
differences with the high dollar stuff.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #1,239 of 10,535
My favorite site for DIY materials has got to be Double Helix Cables, top notch parts from their cables to their mini plugs.

If you want something cheaper Redco has Canare and Mogami cables and a good variety of plugs. I prefer the Neutrik Rean from their offerings.

Do you know where I can find a good 2.5mm connector for HD598? Thanks.

Jan 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #1,240 of 10,535
The Neutrik are as good as any other connector. The only reason to buy something else is for the looks, ease of use or preference. As long as the connector is built well, they will all sound the same IMO.

I exclusively use Viablue and Oyaide as standard in all my cables, they look awesome.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,241 of 10,535

afaik, most of the 2.5mm connectors available wouldn't fit the 598 and have the twist lock notches (it's proprietary).

You'd have to harvest the part from the stock cable.

an alternative would be to order a cable from http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290 and swap out the wires with your own. However, I'm not certain if those plugs are openable, so purchase at your own risk.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #1,242 of 10,535

afaik, most of the 2.5mm connectors available wouldn't fit the 598 and have the twist lock notches (it's proprietary).

You'd have to harvest the part from the stock cable.

an alternative would be to order a cable from http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290 and swap out the wires with your own. However, I'm not certain if those plugs are openable, so purchase at your own risk.

Little bit pricey, but http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3574 is an option. You'll also have to wait quite a bit for it to arrive. 

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,243 of 10,535
  The Neutrik are as good as any other connector. The only reason to buy something else is for the looks, ease of use or preference. As long as the connector is built well, they will all sound the same IMO.

I exclusively use Viablue and Oyaide as standard in all my cables, they look awesome.

I agree.  And there's nothing wrong with preferring one over another for looks.  I'm happy with the neutriks myself, but they're are some sexy connectors out there.  But sound-wise as long as the connectors are good there will be no difference.  Soldering is easier on some, and the stress relief and clamping mechanisms may be different, but that is more for ease of making the cable.  I find the neutriks easy to use thought personally.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #1,244 of 10,535
Hey, soldered a cable with the DHC Rhodium Elite plug yesterday, it is definately up there with the easiest miniplug to solder with.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,245 of 10,535
I have some coming in to make Element Case friendly cables really only 1 for my car, but I think I'll make a Mini-Mini too just to have around.

If they're as easy to work with as Canare and Amphenol 1/8" TRS then they'll be just fine to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back