Diving feet first into vinyl!
Feb 1, 2008 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GuineaMcPig

100+ Head-Fier
I know what you're thinking...you're not really diving if you're doing it feet first. And that's exactly my point!

I know how dangerous vinyl is. Every single component has an upgrade path. You could overshoot your budget just finding the right stylus, let alone the rest of the turntable! I'm not into that. I just want to find a new or used turntable that will reliably output good sound without having to tweak every single aspect. The more "standalone" the recommendation is, the better. And my budget is probably around $300-$400.

For the record, I'm listening mostly to rock and electronic music through a Mapletree Audio Ear+ (I think) amplifier and a pair of Grado SR225 cans. I have been happy with these components for the last few years and don't feel the need to change. I'm looking for a solid source at the same level of these other components (that is to say, fairly nice but definitely budget conscious). If it comes ready to play out of the box (with a decent cartridge and everything), even better!

I also understand that I will need a phono preamp between the turntable and my headphone amp. There seems to be some consensus that this Hagerman Bugle is THE budget preamp. That's great, but as far as I can tell, you need to provide your own housing for the circuitry, and I just don't have the tools or the time. Am I misunderstanding something, or is there a better alternative?

Bottom line: I want to get into vinyl and focus on my LP collection, not my setup. I am happy with the quality of my headphones and amplifier, and would like to find a turntable and preamp that complement them. And the less modification, soldering, and part-swapping I have to do, the better!

Thank you very much for your help!

Feb 1, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineaMcPig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to get into vinyl and focus on my LP collection, not my setup. I am happy with the quality of my headphones and amplifier, and would like to find a turntable and preamp that complement them. And the less modification, soldering, and part-swapping I have to do, the better!

There is always going to be an element of part swopping and fiddling inherent in vinyl replay not least because you have to change the stylus or cartridge every few years or so when it wears out. This is where a sympathetic dealer who can do all the dirty work of realignment comes in, but buying stuff from a local trusted Hi-Fi store with knowledgeable staff is not always so easy these days sadly.

That said companies like Rega or Goldring would make your life as easy as possible by supplying something which requires minimal set up although you will still need to put it on a solid shelf or rack and make sure it's level. You can pick up a new or 2nd hand Rega probably on your budget.

The question with upgrading and vinyl is more whether you want to leave yourself a possible upgrade path in the future as a quality turntable is something that can last you a lifetime. I still have the deck I bought when I was 15, quite a few more years ago now than I care to mention
frown.gif

This is the only probelm with designs like the Rega's in that there isn't really much of an upgrade path without buying a completely new deck.

On your budget the main contender for something more upgradeable would be the Technics SL1200, or maybe a vintage AR or Thorens bought from a dealer or someone reliable who won't sell you a turkey. Audiogon is therefore a better bet than ebay in this respect.

Feb 2, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 11
My budget is probably capped at $500 but of course I wouldn't mind falling well short of that!

I'm now looking at the NAD PP2 phono pre instead of the Hagerman Bugle since I don't have the tools, space, or desire to build an enclosure for it. That leaves around $370 or so for the turntable, cartridge, and necessary accessories (I'm clueless even about what I would need to get started).

Memepool, thanks for your suggestions. With the Technics SL1200 a bit out of my price range, I'm sitting rather firmly in the "decent beginner turntable with little upgrade path" camp. I understand that you can probably get better sound for less by building a setup piece by piece, but I just don't have the inclination to do this when I've barely begun my record collection. Maybe after a few years worth of LPs I'll feel inclined to build a new setup from the ground up, but for now I'm just looking for sound that would complement my Grados with a minimum of hassle and expense.

Feb 2, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineaMcPig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the Technics SL1200 a bit out of my price range, I'm sitting rather firmly in the "decent beginner turntable with little upgrade path" camp. .

That's kind of where the Technics lives. The cheapest turntable you are going to find that is worthwhile is in the 350-400USD ballpark for something new. You could find something 2nd hand for less but you will need to buy carefully from someone trustworthy if you want something which you don't need to do a bit of work to.

Feb 2, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 11
I'd look at a used Rega Planar 3 or P3 for around $400 on eBay or Audiogon. These are terrific decks - they sound great and are very reliable. Even moreso, there's a cottage industry of aftermarket parts and upgrades for them, so you can tweak endlessly if you like. They're also simple. If anything goes wrong, you can fix it with a screwdriver and common sense, no mechanical engineering degree necessary.

You could then pick up a $30 phono preamp here:

Garage 'A Records: Phonograph Cartridges and Needles, Record and Vinyl Accessories, Turntable Parts and Accessories and More!

And I'd go with maybe a Grado Black cartridge. I love their carts, too, and the prices are good.

But before you buy anything, read the articles here:

The Vinyl Anachronist

The Vinyl Anachronist articles will get you up to speed on the ins and outs of spinning black discs, what you need and why. And it's free. I highly suggest reading through all the columns before buying.

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 11
I'd be careful with a used turntable if you're new to vinyl. I recently ordered a demo from a reputable company and it arrived in a mess. The cartridge was way off, the set screw on the tonearm weight was stripped, the hole in the platter wasn't centered, and who knows what else I would have run into if I kept it. Luckily I was able to return it, but who knows what I would have had to go through if it was a private seller. I spent a few more bucks and got a new one, and although my wallet is a little lighter than I'd like it to be, I'm more confident that I won't run into problems later.

In your budget there aren't a whole lot of choices on new tables. There is the Pro-ject Debut III ($300), the Music Hall MMF2.2 ($350), the Rega P1 ($400) and the Technics 1200 ($400 at Musicians Friend). I believe a new cart is suggested on the 1200, so take that into account. If you are willing to save a little more, the Rega P2 ($645 w/cart) and Project Xpression III ($600) are both considered decent entry level tables.

Feb 4, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is the Pro-ject Debut III ($300), the Music Hall MMF2.2 ($350), the Rega P1 ($400) and the Technics 1200 ($400 at Musicians Friend). I believe a new cart is suggested on the 1200, so take that into account. If you are willing to save a little more, the Rega P2 ($645 w/cart) and Project Xpression III ($600) are both considered decent entry level tables.

That's a pretty comprehensive list I think .The only other new one you might consider is the Goldring GR1.2 from LP Gear which is pretty similar to the Rega but slightly cheaper.

Going used I would think somewhere like Vinyl Nirvana would offer you the kind of service you want and the kind of decks they have like the AR or Thorens are a step up over what you'll get new in this price bracket.

Feb 5, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all your responses. This was the exact information I was looking for! I've especially been enjoying those articles at the Vinyl Anachronist. I'm looking at either a Rega P2 or a Thorens TD160, but with the information you've provided it seems there are more options in the price bracket just higher than my budget that it might warrant a bit more saving before I take the plunge. Thanks again!

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 11
You should really look at Denon DP 300. Sure it's nothing exciting, but it's a no hassle table, from what I hear. If you can make your money stretch, you should really check out Pro-Ject Tubebox phono stages, although their $130 phonobox would do nicely, too, I think.

And of course, stay w/ MM for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back