DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition).
May 24, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #541 of 1,451
  I've had the tenores for a few days now. And even after burn in and letting my ears adapt to the tenores sound, I don't think the tenores can hold a candle to the Answers in any way. Bass decay on the tenores is extended and excessive, compared to that which is quite nicely tuned on the DITAs. The Answers also have more detail, a sharper/crisper sound, and sound much more refined. There is less bass on the Answers, but it's a better quality of bass.

Overall, I'm still loving the Answers. It's perhaps the first IEM that's not made me crave for something more - or at least not yet!

About the source, I'm currently using my iPhone 5 > Flacplayer and it sounds pretty incredible. :)

Recently tried a friends tenores and I have to agree a little, I feel the tenores scale a lot less with high end gear as compared to the DITAs, but nonetheless I'm now sorely tempted to get a pair of tenores myself :D 

But after getting the DITAs, I find myself craving a higher quality source, I've finally tried the AK120 and 240, I and think I may just have to get myself an AK120. 

Anyone running the DITAs out of a very high quality source? Thoughts?

May 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #542 of 1,451
Just an iPhone 5S shot of my new arrivals after 3 days of running in; I like the classy understated design. 

May 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #543 of 1,451
DIta-the Truth-touch 5G- flacplayer app- venturecraft lightning cable- Hifi-m8

bajaqyre.jpg

May 24, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #544 of 1,451
  Just an iPhone 5S shot of my new arrivals after 3 days of running in; I like the classy understated design. 

I am also really pleased how good it sounds out of my mac too. I have tried it yesterday I tried using the HDVD800 using HUGO as a source and the sound improved far more than I expected to improve. 

May 25, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #545 of 1,451
   Recently tried a friends tenores and I have to agree a little, I feel the tenores scale a lot less with high end gear as compared to the DITAs, but nonetheless I'm now sorely tempted to get a pair of tenores myself :D 

But after getting the DITAs, I find myself craving a higher quality source, I've finally tried the AK120 and 240, I and think I may just have to get myself an AK120. 

Just got my AK120 in the mail today, actually. Enjoying it a lot more than the ZX1 I bought. Significantly more bass extension and definition, and the mids are given more body for a slightly thicker sound there. I thought the ZX1 left them a bit thin so that's a welcome development for me.

May 25, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #546 of 1,451

I've only listened to DITA out of HUGO and 240. Once again, the Answer shows its chameleon characteristics by sounding different with each source. Just a little more than the average bearphone.

May 25, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #547 of 1,451
My M8 is finally coming tomorrow, so I'll have to try that combo as well.

May 25, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #548 of 1,451
I'm about to do some surgery on my new Answers. 

I have a Cleave Crystal bumper on my iPhone 5 which is more form over function but I love it so it stays. This has a 7mm x 3mm recess for the headphone socket.
This means I cannot plug my Ditas into my phone unless I use a short extension cable because the Dita plug is 10mm across.
Dita supplied me with a nice Audio-Technica cable one but A/B listening with and without this extension cable directly from my Sony ES cd player showed some loss in transparency when it was in the chain.

Tonight I ordered a Furutech mini plug (it has a 3.5mm x 5.5mm stand off at the base of the earth) to replace the Dita one - lots of Bronze, stainless and Rhodium goodness and 'probably' a better plug that Dita one anyway.
I have some Mundorf silver solder and have plenty of soldering experience.

I'll post up results once it's done although, it will take a few days for the plug to turn up from HK.

May 25, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #550 of 1,451
When bumper-fi meets head-fi, there can be no winner.

So the answer is No (basically). I've been using Cleaves for 3 years now.

I have a pretty good feeling that the Furutech plug is better than or at least as good as Dita's.

This way, everyone's a winner.

And I am a dab hand at soldering (even if I do rate myself).

May 25, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #552 of 1,451

I've only listened to DITA out of HUGO and 240. Once again, the Answer shows its chameleon characteristics by sounding different with each source. Just a little more than the average bearphone.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts about the Answer and AK240 pairing? Do you think the latter might be overkill? I've tested the AK240 with my LCD-X previously but I suspect that the IEM would be getting more use.

May 25, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #553 of 1,451
  Would you mind sharing your thoughts about the Answer and AK240 pairing? Do you think the latter might be overkill? I've tested the AK240 with my LCD-X previously but I suspect that the IEM would be getting more use.

Hmm, overkill. That is a term I don't understand!  ; )

I think the DITA scales wonderfully with good gear, so I don't think the AK240 outclasses it in any significant regard. 

The 240 I listened to was literally straight out of the box brand new. I hear that they do much better with some burn in, and open up a bit more, with more space. 

The 240 in its condition, without but just a few hours on it, was a great pairing with the Answer. The AK240 was a bit warmer and more rich than my Hugo, and colored those slightly recessed mids of the DITA and gave them some extra body that I found very engaging. But be careful, the 240 and DITA had some serious bass impact energy. Like a lot! I couldn't believe it. If you like bass, you'll be cool, but if you prefer quality over quantity and bass is not a driving priority for you, it could be too much. That's not to say the DITA bass isn't high quality, it is, but there was also a lot of slam with a brand new 240. No idea if that should change. 

All the details and transparency where still present in the high end, but just a little smoother and sweeter than a HUGO. So, the pairing was very good, having some colorations that I thought sounded good, but may not be for everyone. Again, I don't know how the 240 will or will not change once the electronics settle. 

And though I did like the 240 with the DITA quite a bit, I still preferred the larger, cleaner, more refined, with better imaging, Hugo. To me, on that day, under those conditions. But the AK240 is a top flight player, no doubt. 

May 25, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #554 of 1,451

Hmm, overkill. That is a term I don't understand!  ; )

I think the DITA scales wonderfully with good gear, so I don't think the AK240 outclasses it in any significant regard. 

The 240 I listened to was literally straight out of the box brand new. I hear that they do much better with some burn in, and open up a bit more, with more space. 

The 240 in its condition, without but just a few hours on it, was a great pairing with the Answer. The AK240 was a bit warmer and more rich than my Hugo, and colored those slightly recessed mids of the DITA and gave them some extra body that I found very engaging. But be careful, the 240 and DITA had some serious bass impact energy. Like a lot! I couldn't believe it. If you like bass, you'll be cool, but if you prefer quality over quantity and bass is not a driving priority for you, it could be too much. That's not to say the DITA bass isn't high quality, it is, but there was also a lot of slam with a brand new 240. No idea if that should change. 

All the details and transparency where still present in the high end, but just a little smoother and sweeter than a HUGO. So, the pairing was very good, having some colorations that I thought sounded good, but may not be for everyone. Again, I don't know how the 240 will or will not change once the electronics settle. 

And though I did like the 240 with the DITA quite a bit, I still preferred the larger, cleaner, more refined, with better imaging, Hugo. To me, on that day, under those conditions. But the AK240 is a top flight player, no doubt. 

Thanks very much for these impressions. I find the DITA's bass a little on the overpowering side coupled with my CLASdb-Rx3B+ stack. Sounds like the AK240 and DITA is a pretty decent coupling. The more convenient form factor of the AK240 over the HUGO would a big plus for me unless the sonic advantages are very significant. Looks like there will be an AK240 in my hot little hands by tomorrow :)

May 26, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #555 of 1,451
I've had my Answers since last Friday.
I listened to them briefly before running them in with pink noise over the weekend.
Initial impressions are very good indeed.

The first thing that struck me was their resolving power and transparency.
Every little nuance comes through no matter where in the audible range.
I was hearing details in recordings for the first time and the acoustic of the environment comes through very well.
The spectral balance leans very slightly toward warm and full sounding. There is absolutely no sibilance or fatigue induced by listening, even at higher levels and even with instruments such as violins. Bass is accurate, fast and so deep. Midrange is liquid and smooth, treble is airy, extended and sweet. But this can change from source to source and file to file - a demonstration of the IEMs' transparency. 
Imaging is very good and stage width is quite acceptable although this also tends to be governed by the recording anyway.

The overall impression I get with these IEMs is very very close to what I get with my home system (Burson modded Sony XA5ES cdp, Bewitch KT88 tube amp, fully rebuilt /modded Martin Logan Aerius i electrostatic spks) in terms of how I feel like I'm in the room with the performers and the tonal presentation - especially that cohesiveness that comes from a good wideband transducer in each case here. I'm sitting about 5 or so metres away from the performance so it's nice and intimate.

Fit wise - perfect. I wear my IEMs for 3hrs+ each working day and I have no hot spots or pressure points anywhere. I use the middle sized tips with middle sized bores. This gives the best seal and balance of sound for my ears. 

In the end, I have no desire to keep looking for anything else.
These are it.

One tip I would suggest for Dita though; change your plug. If other customers are like me and use a case with a deep recess on their phone (for me it's an iPhone 5 with Cleave Crystal bumper), the Dita plug just doesn't fit. The effort gone to in using this plug is quashed by having to use a short adaptor or extension cable and most of these are of dubious quality. This then takes away from the performance of the Ditas. I have a few extension cables and they (even the nice Audio Technica one Dita gave me) all affect the sound.

I've ordered a Furutech and some more Mundorf silver solder and will use this to replace the Dita one. The Double Helix Cables plug would also work.
It has a 5.5mm dia x 4mm stand off that allows the plug to fit through just about every case on the market.

Otherwise, I couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back