DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition).
May 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #526 of 1,451
I had enjoyment with the iphone4 last week and DITA the Truth, i have been using my ipod touch 5G the last few days and its even better to my ears. Tomorrow i am going back to DITA and Hifi-m8 and see how that is.

May 23, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #527 of 1,451
Really good to know that the truthfulness of the 'phone doesn't make it bad with a phone. 

May 23, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #529 of 1,451
I tend to agree it's really not bad at all. But once you get used to something like HUGO, iPhone is pretty glaringly unrefined in many ways. But  the iPhone is completely enjoyable. 

May 23, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #530 of 1,451
I spent a little time listening to my new Answers last night from iphone 5 and was impressed for sure.

What helps is putting the phone into flight mode. Quite an audible difference.

May 23, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #532 of 1,451
Yes.
Less 'hash' and a quieter/darker background.

I never really noticed with my Pistons and Vsonics but the Dita's resolving power is a power of 10 better and easily shows this up.

May 24, 2014 at 3:11 AM Post #534 of 1,451
That, or apple's iphone is actually much better a DAP than people give it credit for
tongue.gif

I've run in my Answers for around 50 hours and it sounds terrific straight out of my iPhone 5S. Through CLAS -dB and ALO Rx3B+ the difference is not night and day. Makes me wonder how much improvement I'll get when paired with the AK240 I've ordered.

May 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #535 of 1,451
I've had the tenores for a few days now. And even after burn in and letting my ears adapt to the tenores sound, I don't think the tenores can hold a candle to the Answers in any way. Bass decay on the tenores is extended and excessive, compared to that which is quite nicely tuned on the DITAs. The Answers also have more detail, a sharper/crisper sound, and sound much more refined. There is less bass on the Answers, but it's a better quality of bass.

Overall, I'm still loving the Answers. It's perhaps the first IEM that's not made me crave for something more - or at least not yet!

About the source, I'm currently using my iPhone 5 > Flacplayer and it sounds pretty incredible. :)

May 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #536 of 1,451
Wouldn't exactly put it in those terms, as I feel the Tenore delivers a large percentage of the DITA's SQ for far less. (I prefer the DITA FWIW since the Tenore does come across as dynamically compressed in comparison) There's been a lot of talk of QC issues in the Tenore thread as of late, which has been confirmed by GnarlSagan, SGS, and a few others. The Tenore shouldn't have excessive bass compared to the DITA as it's actually the more linear of the two phones.

May 24, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #537 of 1,451
  I've had the tenores for a few days now. And even after burn in and letting my ears adapt to the tenores sound, I don't think the tenores can hold a candle to the Answers in any way. Bass decay on the tenores is extended and excessive, compared to that which is quite nicely tuned on the DITAs. The Answers also have more detail, a sharper/crisper sound, and sound much more refined. There is less bass on the Answers, but it's a better quality of bass.

But answer costs something like 7-8 times more than the tenore , right ? just saying 
wink.gif

May 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #538 of 1,451

But answer costs something like 7-8 times more than the tenore , right ? just saying 
wink.gif

More like 16x the cost. 

But now we're talking perceived value, objective worth, value propositions, personal budgets, etc...

While the Tenore may be great for its price, so is the Answer. And if it's worth it to you, and you have the means - for me, there is no question the added expense to have something that to my ears is superior, is worth it. Sure, Tenore is fine, but he can have both. For him, if the Answer is far superior in every way, there's no reason for him to ever even listen to the Tenore, unless the guy grows an extra set of ears, in which case would be really cool if you could shut off one pair of ears at a time and do super rad A/B tests : )

Edit: not to be confused with flavor. Sure I own many IEMs, but I feel they are all on the same playing ground, and the purpose is to fit different moods/genres. 

May 24, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #539 of 1,451
The Tenore doesn't just perform well for its price. It's a damn good phone period. Out of my Sony F886, and GO 450, the Tenore more often than not gets blindingly, uncomfortably close to some of my other heavy hitter gear like the K3003, DITA and FX850. I certainly wouldn't ever say any of the aforementioned phones put the Tenore in its place, or that they simply shame them as that just doesn't ring true to my ears. I also don't feel like the aforementioned phones extract more detail or come across as much more refined either. The Tenore is extremely smooth from top to bottom. If it's refinement you're talking, it stakes its claim and actually shames many TOTL phones in that regard, as even the DITA has got peaks at 5 and 12 khz.

May 24, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #540 of 1,451
 If it's refinement you're talking, it stakes its claim and actually shames many TOTL phones in that regard, as even the DITA has got peaks at 5 and 12 khz.

Why is it that a lot of phones have peaks in or around this region ?  Is it something designers do deliberately ? I am sensitive to such lifts and would love to find something in the Answers performance range that doesn't have such a peak.  I am loving my DITAs (TRUTH) though and my other sets haven't been in my ears at all for the past couple of weeks. My others are not the same calibre as your collection though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back