DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition).
May 20, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #481 of 1,451

Haha good! Enjoy both!  I have only heard good things about the FAD.

Actually I think a lot of audiophiles think FAD is crazy for releasing the products that they do. But then again, people in general call geniuses crazy haha. You could prob get both the DITA and Heaven V for the price of your SE846 and join me in the audio bliss 
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #482 of 1,451

Well I could afford to keep both... My logic is that I have only 2 ears so I don't really need more than one pair of IEMs as long I've found my favorite one.

^^^
That's ludicrous :wink: oh young grasshopper. Thou not knowest the error of thy thinking. Just because you are fond of a particular tasty exquisite red wine, doesn't mean you don't ever want a sudsy slag of ice-cold beer down the throat!

not even from FAD's own Pandora Hope VI. 

^^^
Hope. No. No Hope there. NONE of the old-skool FADnatics clicked with them. 

.... it almost seems like a horrific thing to do haha. The magic of the Heaven V's mids ...

Yep, yep. Yep. 

May 20, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #483 of 1,451

I had the RWAK100 & AK120 and preferred the AK120 & sold the RWAK100. And briefly I had the AK120 & ZX1 side-by-side and preferred the ZX1 and sold the AK120. I never had the RWAK100 next to the ZX1 but by inference, I think I would have preferred the ZX1 over the RWAK100 - all this however with the FitEar. I tried the AK240 with the Ditas in the show and liked that combo but AK240 is quite pricey.

If you can wait, maybe see how the AK100 II and AK120 II turn out. Alternatively look into the X5 and DX90.

As an owner of some of the DAP's mentioned, here is my .02.
DX90 isn't quite in the same league as the ZX1. However, I have  noticed that bright headphones will work better with it then the ZX1.
It also depends on the music, my K3003's, which are fairly bright still sound wonderful with the ZX1, but I have to skip the String Quartets. Adding to this conversation, once I had the ZX1, I really have not been listening to the RWAK100's.

Speaking of the K3003's, anyone compare the Dita's to it yet? Sorry if it's mentioned earlier in the thread.

May 20, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #484 of 1,451

Speaking of the K3003's, anyone compare the Dita's to it yet? Sorry if it's mentioned earlier in the thread.

That's all I've been doing the last couple of days. It's been really stressful. 

It's 100% preference and musical genres. 

That said, The Answer is the better bargain as it's on par. 

EDIT: It's the worst, most difficult comparison I've ever had to do, especially when I have to choose one to keep. I've attacked it from all angles. 

May 20, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #485 of 1,451
Man, I gotta say the Truth Edition excel at guitar distortion. The SE846 smoothed over the crunch far too much for my liking. You can hear individual strings in a chord if you listen closely. It's the best balance of analytical and musical I've heard so far. The more I listen to them the more convinced I become to sell the Shures...

May 20, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #486 of 1,451

That's ludicrous :wink: oh young grasshopper. Thou not knowest the error of thy thinking. Just because you are fond of a particular tasty exquisite red wine, doesn't mean you don't ever want a sudsy slag of ice-cold beer down the throat!

Hope. No. No Hope there. NONE of the old-skool FADnatics clicked with them. 

LOL apparently I have much I still need to learn. Thanks for the lesson, oh great knowledgeable one!

Yeah, the Hope VI was almost too conventional coming from FAD. I was expecting something more crazy tbh =/

May 20, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #487 of 1,451
LOL apparently I have much I still need to learn. Thanks for the lesson, oh great knowledgeable one!

Yeah, the Hope VI was almost too conventional coming from FAD. I was expecting something more crazy tbh =/

I was one of those earlier in the thread that said that ditas smoked the heaven series. Yet I also mentioned something in accordance with what the others said about the FADs. Each FAD lineup had a special sound. It usually draws very polarizing views, and depending on which end you're on, well yes you're either happy or you're not. To me, just like to you, some models do sound amazing, technically they aren't all that good, but there's just something about them. So if you can, keep them :wink:

May 20, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #488 of 1,451
I was one of those earlier in the thread that said that ditas smoked the heaven series. Yet I also mentioned something in accordance with what the others said about the FADs. Each FAD lineup had a special sound. It usually draws very polarizing views, and depending on which end you're on, well yes you're either happy or you're not. To me, just like to you, some models do sound amazing, technically they aren't all that good, but there's just something about them. So if you can, keep them
wink.gif

Well said. So IF you do "get" them, then you'd better hold on to them!

Edit: And thanks WCD for possibly being the first person to not like FAD, but be ok with the people that are, despite their obviously bad measurements that anyone in their right audiophile mind would cause to eschew the brand entirely. 

May 20, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #489 of 1,451
As an owner of some of the DAP's mentioned, here is my .02.
DX90 isn't quite in the same league as the ZX1. However, I have  noticed that bright headphones will work better with it then the ZX1.
It also depends on the music, my K3003's, which are fairly bright still sound wonderful with the ZX1, but I have to skip the String Quartets. Adding to this conversation, once I had the ZX1, I really have not been listening to the RWAK100's.

Yes a couple of us have indeed compared it previously. Basically I find that the akgs have a slightly more pronounced upper midrange, and slightly more treble energy compared to the non truth version. Bass also tends to be boomier. The ditas have, to my ears, better and more even bass extension which reveals much more details.

I personally do not like a pronounced upper midrange and well like soundfreaq said its very much a thing of preference. Fortunately the ditas suit my preferences more :p

May 20, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #490 of 1,451
Well said. So IF you do "get" them, then you'd better hold on to them!

Edit: And thanks WCD for possibly being the first person to not like FAD, but be ok with the people that are, despite their obviously bad measurements that anyone in their right audiophile mind would cause to eschew the brand entirely. 

Oh no man I LOVED the Lab 1s :p but damn look at that price.. Well the heaven v and VI i sort of like too :) with the new lab series and the new heaven 7&8 though, who knows i have to try them :)

But I think what I was driving at previously was that while the FADs can do certain things great, if I could only keep one earphone, I would keep the ditas for doing everything so well across the spectrum, something I find few if any other earphones manage to do :)

May 20, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #491 of 1,451
I've had the K3003 for a pretty long time and I'd never say that the bass is boomier than the DITA. Not for a second. Neither would I say that the DITA reveals more details in its bass. The two phones are actually quite similar, but the K3K still has the better treble between the two. That makes the Answer a very nice value proposition of course

May 20, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #492 of 1,451
From what I am reading, the Truth version probably has that treble energy that the k3003 has.
I do enjoy that sound but I have to be in the mood for it.

The ditas have, to my ears, better and more even bass extension which reveals much more details.

This thread is dangerous to my wallet....

May 20, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #493 of 1,451
I'm starting to agree. Burning in today (about 8 hours so far) has helped significantly already, but I've already started looking for a used AK120. Would a RWAK100 be a good pairing? I've heard it doesn't quite measure up to the ZX1. 

I gotta say I've already had thoughts of selling my SE846. Great phones but the Ditas so far feel much more like what I'm looking for out of an IEM. Might sell them along with the ZX1 to pick up an AK DAP.

Same here, I'm seriously happy with the DITAs as is (and will hopefully have time to write a full detailed review after a month or so of use) but I do wish for more out of my trusty Cowon C9. The AK120 was my first option but the price is a little restrictive and I've been looking into the DX90 and X5 as options... Wondering about the painting with my Answer...

May 20, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #494 of 1,451
I've had the K3003 for a pretty long time and I'd never say that the bass is boomier than the DITA. Not for a second. Neither would I say that the DITA reveals more details in its bass. The two phones are actually quite similar, but the K3K still has the better treble between the two. That makes the Answer a very nice value proposition of course

Are you comparing Dita-  Answer, Truth edition, right?

May 21, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #495 of 1,451
... I would keep the ditas for doing everything so well across the spectrum, something I find few if any other earphones manage to do
smily_headphones1.gif

Totally understand. DITA would probably measure more accurately. But then this turns into a psychology discussion. Is what moves you more, despite it being less technical on paper, not better?

X2 - everything here is spot on. That's where I think the 3003 definitely has the upper hand, the treble. Everything else is arguable and seeded in preference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back