Dita - Project 71 aka ‘Bumblebee (2019) & Sakura 71 (2021).
Feb 21, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #16 of 68
Pretty flexible so ergonomics are a whole lot better than the Truth cable...yes the Truth cable can be a challenge some time

Truth cable is stiff and holds a memory. Not sure who even likes those type of cables. Almost as bad as one of the fitear cables that jump back at you after you coil it up.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Mar 3, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #17 of 68
I have been fortunate enough to buy the last set of project71 from my local store. I already had my eye on it after hearing an excellent demo. Hopefully I'll find some time to do a review! Information about it seems scarce.

Briefly I don't understand why some online have said that the mids/vocals were recessed. I found the project71 to have one of the nicest mid tunings I've heard. Bass is even and well extended downwards with no hint of boominess, mids are thick enough to be emotive and portray a great sense of realism, yet has enough air for articulation and clarity, and treble is extended but tonally spot on (to me), sounding warmish but retaining separation and clarity.

Cable is the best Dita has come up with so far in terms of ergonomics and tone, I feel.

It plays well with any track I've thrown at it so far, and technically very resolving and spacious. Very very pleased with it. Sadly only 300 people will get to enjoy this!

Last edited:
May 23, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #18 of 68
20190523_170134.jpg

This is so so so so pretty. Consider me one of the lucky 300. Yes I listened to it before taking a photo, and yes that's definitely ear dust on the eartips, but I regret nothing!

May 23, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #20 of 68

This is so so so so pretty. Consider me one of the lucky 300. Yes I listened to it before taking a photo, and yes that's definitely ear dust on the eartips, but I regret nothing!
Darn it! You lucky, lucky.... Nice catch man!

Now go work on that review! I want to enjoy them vicariously. :D

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #21 of 68

Would love to hear your impressions too! Haven't had time to sit down to do a review but thoroughly enjoying them

Jun 28, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #22 of 68
Anyone can share some more impressions, please? :) There is almost nothing on web, at least in English...

Besides sound, how's the comfort, isolation and fit?

If anyone of these "300 chosen" have them for sale, I'll be interested :p.

Jun 29, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #24 of 68
How's the comfort, isolation and fit? All good. It's tiny.
yYdirZw.jpg

JaR4mVv.jpg
Dita 71 has standard (universal) mmcx pins? The cable pins seem to be slightly different from the Dita Oslo cable (Maybe it's just the plastic around the pins).

Can you leave a short comment on vocals, resolution and bass, thanks :) Maybe suggest any more common IEMs that sound "similar" to the Dita 71 to get an idea.

Jun 29, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #25 of 68
Dita 71 has standard (universal) mmcx pins? The cable pins seem to be slightly different from the Dita Oslo cable (Maybe it's just the plastic around the pins).

Can you leave a short comment on vocals, resolution and bass, thanks :) Maybe suggest any more common IEMs that sound "similar" to the Dita 71 to get an idea.
The OSLO cable that come with the P71 is different than the standard OSLO cable.

Compare to the U12T:
Bass quantity is about the same as U12T with M20 module. Mid-range is slightly recessed than U12T so vocal is a recessed than U12T. There is a big dip in the upper high frequency so it’s missing some sparkles.
It’s a little step down from U12T but it’s very comfortable and enjoyable with nice bass.

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #26 of 68
The OSLO cable that come with the P71 is different than the standard OSLO cable.

Compare to the U12T:
Bass quantity is about the same as U12T with M20 module. Mid-range is slightly recessed than U12T so vocal is a recessed than U12T. There is a big dip in the upper high frequency so it’s missing some sparkles.
It’s a little step down from U12T but it’s very comfortable and enjoyable with nice bass.
Thanks! I used to have u12t thus this comparison is very helpful :) I consider u12t to be brighter as well as the most of the 64audio's BAs line, so no downside here.

Is the soundstage comparable to the u12t? Vocals are recessed even without instruments (pure vocals) or you were refering to both - pure and with instruments / "melody" in the background ?

As for the pins, I've googled that there is some "safety lock" so this cable can't be used as a standard mmcx cable, I guess. However, standard mmcx cables can be connected to the Dita 71?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 8:32 PM Post #27 of 68
Regarding comfort, with the supplied final audio tips, it is as comfortable as it gets for a universal earphone. It is supple and soft.

Isolation is as good as a universal earphone can get. It's not going to drown out environmental noise completely but when music is playing, environmental noise is minimal.

Sound is absolutely stellar. This is one of the few earphones that sits exactly within my tonal preferences and has excellent resolution, detail and clarity. I couldn't put it down the first time I heard it, which is rare for me. Usually I can find issues with specific frequencies that I nitpick, but with the project71 I have zero complaints. I don't care for detail oriented, treble heavy tunings. I like a vintage, analogue and emotive sound. And the project71 hits the spot.

Bass is more sub than mid, but just enough weight in the midbass to sound full. There is great extension down below and rumble, portraying depth and control. The balance in the bass tuning is quite impressive. Probably not enough for bassheads, but is definitely a very refined bass with good slam, impact, decay and texture.

Mids are spot on. Detailed enough for great clarity, yet weighty enough to convey emotion. Dita in my opinion has struck a wonderful balance here, where most earphones err on one side or the other. Many mid tunings either shoot for the emotive but at the loss of some detail, or go the other extreme with detail that has no 'feeling'. Most TOTLs have converged more closely within a target balance, but I feel that the project71 cuts it right smack in the middle for me. I suspect that the OSLO cable (if you have read some of the reviews) also contributes in large part to this phenomena. The mids are also open and resolving - you need to hear it for yourself.

Treble has extension and air, yet is one of the best, if not the best treble tuning to my ears. It never feels harsh or sharp or sibilant, and timbre is accurate and realistic with brassy tones for cymbal work. My ears are exceptionally picky with treble, and the project 71 manages to be completely inoffensive yet able to capture detail and extension. Treble heads or listeners who are more used to brighter tunings might find it dark, but it is definitely not veiled, without any loss of detail - it just doesn't shove it in your face. If I could use a metaphor maybe it's like wearing shades. it takes away the glare of the light but you still retain 100% clarity and visibility. Some might not like the tint though, but I love it.

Staging is large enough to be slightly out of head but not as large as say something like the Solaris. However, it's technicalities are nothing to be scoffed at - unless you are looking for an arena like stage (which with iems is practically impossible), you will have no complaints.

I run it out of a WM1A balanced, and it's perfect. It brings me back to enjoying music.

One thing though - driver flex causes it to develop some hairline seams between the brass and wood components. I've sent it in for checking and apparently this is normal, within expected tolerances without affecting SQ. The brass bits are also prone to oxidation and develops a dark patina over time. I'm not too concerned about it, but some may.

Yes, it's mmcx connector from the OSLO cable end has a locking mechanism - which prevents you from using the cable with other IEMs. You can use other cables with it though, but I have not tried - I see no need to.

The only niggle I have is that even when wearing over ear, the weighted cable splitter (made of brass and wood) is important as a counterweight to prevent the iems from dislodging from your ears due to movement.

Let me know if anyone has any other specific questions!

In conclusion, the project71 has an absolutely masterful tuning. Kudos to Desmond and Danny. I learnt in a conversation with Desmond that this is a departure from their house sound, which is more 'hifi' and detail oriented.
I'm really looking forward to the Dream XLS - which is sweeping awards at audio shows and to my ears at Canjam SG 2019, one of the best IEMs I have heard, period.

Anyone can share some more impressions, please? :) There is almost nothing on web, at least in English...

Besides sound, how's the comfort, isolation and fit?

If anyone of these "300 chosen" have them for sale, I'll be interested :p.

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #28 of 68
Regarding comfort, with the supplied final audio tips, it is as comfortable as it gets for a universal earphone. It is supple and soft.

Isolation is as good as a universal earphone can get. It's not going to drown out environmental noise completely but when music is playing, environmental noise is minimal.

Sound is absolutely stellar. This is one of the few earphones that sits exactly within my tonal preferences and has excellent resolution, detail and clarity. I couldn't put it down the first time I heard it, which is rare for me. Usually I can find issues with specific frequencies that I nitpick, but with the project71 I have zero complaints. I don't care for detail oriented, treble heavy tunings. I like a vintage, analogue and emotive sound. And the project71 hits the spot.

Bass is more sub than mid, but just enough weight in the midbass to sound full. There is great extension down below and rumble, portraying depth and control. The balance in the bass tuning is quite impressive. Probably not enough for bassheads, but is definitely a very refined bass with good slam, impact, decay and texture.

Mids are spot on. Detailed enough for great clarity, yet weighty enough to convey emotion. Dita in my opinion has struck a wonderful balance here, where most earphones err on one side or the other. Many mid tunings either shoot for the emotive but at the loss of some detail, or go the other extreme with detail that has no 'feeling'. Most TOTLs have converged more closely within a target balance, but I feel that the project71 cuts it right smack in the middle for me. I suspect that the OSLO cable (if you have read some of the reviews) also contributes in large part to this phenomena. The mids are also open and resolving - you need to hear it for yourself.

Treble has extension and air, yet is one of the best, if not the best treble tuning to my ears. It never feels harsh or sharp or sibilant, and timbre is accurate and realistic with brassy tones for cymbal work. My ears are exceptionally picky with treble, and the project 71 manages to be completely inoffensive yet able to capture detail and extension. Treble heads or listeners who are more used to brighter tunings might find it dark, but it is definitely not veiled, without any loss of detail - it just doesn't shove it in your face. If I could use a metaphor maybe it's like wearing shades. it takes away the glare of the light but you still retain 100% clarity and visibility. Some might not like the tint though, but I love it.

Staging is large enough to be slightly out of head but not as large as say something like the Solaris. However, it's technicalities are nothing to be scoffed at - unless you are looking for an arena like stage (which with iems is practically impossible), you will have no complaints.

I run it out of a WM1A balanced, and it's perfect. It brings me back to enjoying music.

One thing though - driver flex causes it to develop some hairline seams between the brass and wood components. I've sent it in for checking and apparently this is normal, within expected tolerances without affecting SQ. The brass bits are also prone to oxidation and develops a dark patina over time. I'm not too concerned about it, but some may.

Yes, it's mmcx connector from the OSLO cable end has a locking mechanism - which prevents you from using the cable with other IEMs. You can use other cables with it though, but I have not tried - I see no need to.

The only niggle I have is that even when wearing over ear, the weighted cable splitter (made of brass and wood) is important as a counterweight to prevent the iems from dislodging from your ears due to movement.

In conclusion, the project71 has an absolutely masterful tuning. Kudos to Desmond and Danny. I learnt in a conversation with Desmond that this is a departure from their house sound, which is more 'hifi' and detail oriented.
I'm really looking forward to the Dream XLS - which is sweeping awards at audio shows and to my ears at Canjam SG 2019, one of the best IEMs I have heard, period.
Thanks for sharing! Really disappointed I never got to hear Project 71, it sounds very much like they have my type of signature. Curious about the Dream XLS too, but for now I am still really enjoying the Fealty.

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #29 of 68

Those were some positive words! :) So, fun sounding without ever fading. Thank you for this review! ...just one q, did you settle with the Final E type ear-tips or some tip rolling using wide nozzle might open up even more or slightly brighten up the sound? If not wearing them over ear, does the splitter pull the earphones down from your ears?

I've read about the OSLO cable, it's on my list as well :)

I've heard about the Dream XLS recently, very tempting. However, I'm expecting an ugly price tag :D.

P.S. You should make this review of Dita 71 official!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #30 of 68
Hi iBo0m,

I didn't try any tip rolling unfortunately! Yes, if not wearing over ear I feel it does tug somewhat downwards. The best is to wear it overear with counterweight on your chest.

Those were some positive words! :) So, fun sounding without ever fading. Thank you for this review! ...just one q, did you settle with the Final E type ear-tips or some tip rolling using wide nozzle might open up even more or slightly brighten up the sound? If not wearing them over ear, does the splitter pull the earphones down from your ears?

I've read about the OSLO cable, it's on my list as well :)

I've heard about the Dream XLS recently, very tempting. However, I'm expecting an ugly price tag :D.

P.S. You should make this review of Dita 71 official!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back