Disturbing Trend
Oct 23, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #46 of 528
I thought some home, DIY amps used STEPS or TREAD power supplies sometimes set to 20 or even 15 volts. Portables implementing two 9V's might be able to compete, no?

How much power can the Headfive output? That was said to be a great bargain match for the K701 not too long ago. What portables have similar current/voltage swing as the Headfive, if those specs are the only ones we seem to be dealing with?

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #47 of 528
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip> a LaRocco PRII, an SR-71 and a Rockhopper mini^3. NONE drive these headphones as they should be heard.
I'm not trying to be a snob <snip>

"What the hell am I talking about?"

You been posting this portable AMP crap not being able to drive the hd650 and k701 and even had a quote in your sig stating how you feel.

Post it once let it ride and stop sounding like a broken record or even worse 64kps mp3.

How about you do a forum search and see how much of this "HD650/K701 needs a desktop AMP" topic has been discussed over and over again.

No sh!t a bigger/powerful AMP sounds better.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #48 of 528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No sh!t a bigger/powerful AMP sounds better.

Then why request links to scientific studies disproving what you now claim is a "no sh!t" hypothesis? That's silly.

BTW, bigger and more powerful also doesn't equal sound quality, though it often helps.
icon10.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #51 of 528
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then why request links to scientific studies disproving what you now claim is a "no sh!t" hypothesis? That's silly.

My mistake. I should have used ^^^ to refer to the post above mine about the headphone power usage and wonder if it can actually be distinguished.

But seriously boomana, I did felt like your postings (not just in this thread) had a belittling characteristic if not border lining snobbery. Noobs start out slow and then move up to better things. That's the only way to appreciate the finer things is to have a base. The journey is the fun part, not the end.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #52 of 528
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bigger problem with head-fi is that the more senior members stop posting. The ones that have gone through the progression... from govibe to Gilmore to MPX...etc tend to drop off the map.

yes. this is partly what i was referring to.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #54 of 528
Your Correct Boomana. A good, well designed and implemented. Home amplifier. Well regulated. With a stable A.C. power supply. Will always out distance. A battery operated. 1AAA to two 9 volt. Amp.
I have a Hornet M. Sounds good with a portable DVD or other. Ray voiced the Hornet with the Senn 600. A favorite of mine to. They sound good together. NOT GREAT. You need a solid Potential. And current on demand.
A "Duece and a Half" can round the Brick-House track. But an Indy car. Well, you get the picture.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #55 of 528
What I think a lot of people also miss is that you CAN get good home amps for about the price of a portable these days! The Meier Arietta and the Eddie Current Lunchbox II are just two examples of home headphone amps that easily best portable amps costing more. It's not the case that a home amp has to cost a ton.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #56 of 528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I think a lot of people also miss is that you CAN get good home amps for about the price of a portable these days! The Meier Arietta and the Eddie Current Lunchbox II are just two examples of home headphone amps that easily best portable amps costing more. It's not the case that a home amp has to cost a ton.

Seriously Sky,
When are you going to stop using that damn IMOD for your home system?
icon10.gif

I enjoy reading reviews and comparisons but everytime...
it's:
IMOD --> Opera
IMOD --> 40 AMPS.

I demand you get a higher end source. May I suggests the price range of 4 figures. If I read a review of a B-52 vs Zana Deux using the IMOD, I'm going to pull out my hair. (I mean this Jokingly)

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #57 of 528
boomana has started the best thread I've seen here on head-fi in months. And vcoheda has a good point: senior members have disappeared in recent months.

America is, and has always been, all about convenience, and not about quality.

There seems to be a lot of rationalization going on: those without a lot of money want to believe that computer-based audio and portables sound good; those chained to (or addicted to) a computer want to believe that computers sound as good as dedicated cd players; those who can't neceesarily hear or appreciate better sound want to believe that it isn't available or doesn't exist; those without the patience to save and research jump at the first cute little amp.

Go back and look at head-fi posting from just a year ago. Isn't the mass exodus of mentors breathtaking?

Have they soured on the hobby, or just "gotten theirs" and gotten contented or bored?

My fear is that they've scaled the mountain, spent a lot of money, and found the hobby to be - - - empty, rather than ecstasy-inducing.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #58 of 528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously Sky,
When are you going to stop using that damn IMOD for your home system?
icon10.gif

I enjoy reading reviews and comparisons but everytime...
it's:
IMOD --> Opera
IMOD --> 40 AMPS.

I demand you get a higher end source. May I suggests the price range of 4 figures. If I read a review of a B-52 vs Zana Deux using the IMOD, I'm going to pull out my hair. (I mean this Jokingly)

What, my $4000 analog front end isn't good enough for you?
biggrin.gif

Home Rig #1: iMod>VCap Dock>Blue Circle Audio SBH>Deep-cup Darth Beyers
Home Rig #2: Benz/Denon/Moon Audio>Darkvoice 337>JVC DX1000

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #59 of 528
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Excellent post!!
wink.gif
Thisis why the more senior members need to post more, they have experience, yet for some reason are reluctant to share it.

It shouldn't take boomana's semi-rant of a post to stir the hive and pull people out of seclusion.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #60 of 528
I don't disagree that this trend exists, but a portable amp CAN drive full-size headphones very satisfactorily. I have heard the K701 out of quite a number of amps, and I sold the Aria because I thought the SuperMacro IV was either on par or better (it came down to synergy in some cases). I did a three-way comparison of the SuperMacro IV, M^3 and Darkvoice 336i using a K701, and each had strengths and weaknesses. The SuperMacro was not embarrassed in the least. What I did note, however, is that a portable source feeding any of the amps achieved less than satisfactory results. The portable source in this case was the iMod. Great little guy I will never give up, but the SuperMacro is a higher end piece of equipment IMO, capable of taking a signal from a home source and sounding like a home amp. Unless you're talking a higher tier of sound at the $750-1000 level or above, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider GOOD portable amps as options to drive cans like the K701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back