Disintegrating iBasso D1 wall-wart
Jun 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

philslade

Head-Fier
Hi -

I wonder if anyone has had a similar problem? The OEM AC adapter that came with our iBasso D1 (bought modded from Ted Yun two years ago, a versatile little audio champ) abandoned a prong inside an outlet. That was a bit shocking (morally, that is).

Should I bother telling iBasso rather than just replacing it?

In addition, the D1 lost the ability to recharge its batteries following a static discharge to its case a couple of months ago. It ran fine off its (late) adapter with the LED stuck on red. Does anyone (like the poster here) know whether a repair would be affordable?

It does sound remarkably good using its optical Toslink connector, even compared to an Apogee Duet fed over FireWire (comparison made using the same Mac Mini and a pair of AKG 701s; 16-bit, 44.1 kHz WAV files played through iTunes, with Audio MIDI settings to make iTunes run the files as is). Ted and other posters here really did a great job on the IC substitutions (L/R: OPA2111; Buffers (x2): LM4562; DAC L/R: AD8656)...

Thanks in advance for any input,

Phil

PS - Speaking of sound, I am still amazed at how good 4G iMods sound with RAS amps (SR-71 and Hornet) driving AKG 701s. Even with FutureSonic Atrios, they are still quite listenable.

Jun 18, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #2 of 4
I do not own an iBasso, but if something happened to me like that (especially for being over $100) I would definitely see if they could replace it. More than likely they will replace it.

Jun 19, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 4
The iBasso D1 was out back in 2007 IIRC. It was a groundbreaking unit at the time and things have gotten better and smaller as time has gone by. iBasso has very good customer service and they should be able to sell you a replacement battery and charger. However the cost to ship from China may be high and you may be able to find a cheaper alternative locally. As an option you could opt for a newer model. Good luck.

Jul 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #4 of 4
Belated thanks for the good advice. Due to moves and remodeling I had lost track of this thread. I got a replacement RatShak wall wart (a nice one with several output voltages and polarity reversal) and will consider looking for a US repair job. It is an excellent interface and I hope nothing was lost on the board :-/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back