Disenchanted with head-fi (a rant)
Oct 3, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #61 of 102
So much hifi is snake oil, in the same way homeopathic medicine, wine tasting and many claims about cosmetics are. People get disenchanted when they start to find that out after having been suckered in to the nonsense that many spout here. It good this thread is doing such with humour and not another flame war.

Oct 3, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #62 of 102

It's not all overtones of winterberry earth, Jessica simpson "look like me" facial wash, and Qi spinners.

Eventually you will be running your own vinyard, looking like Jessica Simpson, and harnessing real Qi energy from the channels of the universe.

Bcasey is simply barking up the wrong tree, she doesn't even like wine and is looking for the finest, she's happier with a $20 Whiskey, well *hint hint* she should check out whiskey-fi.net...

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #63 of 102
The first few pages has many good responses to the OP.

It's the nature of this forum that people either:
1) Use Head-Fi to learn more about audio equipment, get to a reasonable level of satisfaction, and then move onto other hobbies
2) Find the forums a good place for entertainment (socialize, make friends, troll, kill time on, etc.), and worth hanging around on beyond (1)

OP, if you haven't already, you should try to get to a meet or mini-meet, as you'll get exposed to a lot of gear that's very interesting to listen to.

You have a good attitude since you're willing to admit you don't hear a difference between certain pieces of gear. I'll freely admit significantly diminishing returns kick in for me about the $2k mark (wrt each piece in the chain). Because you have a good self-awareness, you can be honest with yourself about the kind of sound that you like the most, and you don't need to waste a lot of time and money chasing the dragon.

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #64 of 102

It's not all overtones of winterberry earth, Jessica simpson "look like me" facial wash, and Qi spinners.

Eventually you will be running your own vinyard, looking like Jessica Simpson, and harnessing real Qi energy from the channels of the universe.

Bcasey is simply barking up the wrong tree, she doesn't even like wine and is looking for the finest, she's happier with a $20 Whiskey, well *hint hint* she should check out whiskey-fi.net...

Number 1

I am not a she

Number 2

I never stated i was unsatisfied with my headphones i meant that i am just as satisfied listening to $20 logitech speakers as i am listening to higher end headphones. It's a convenience thing.

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #65 of 102
I, as a newbie to this forum wanted to drop in and give my perspective..if allowed...

I came to join the forum after doing some research on needing a new cable for my Senn HD 580's. I saw that there were many different "after-market" cables that I could choose from...thus seeing that I was not the only one that enjoyed and appreciated (at the time) $500 headphones. I thought I was in a very small group, especially a set of cans that are 10+ years old and have not been made for nearly as long.

To cut to the end of this, I have found that there are tons of folks just like me, that enjoy good sound on a daily basis. Now, I don't see how any pair of headphones could cost $1000 and sound better than mine (to me)...but then again I realize there are probably many sets of cans around $100 that are just as good as mine. With this said, I appreceite the fact that we can come together as a group, talk crap, and spend some time talking and comparing notes on our hi-fi experiences. 

I, as one that belongs to two other forums...though cigar and pipe smoking related, know that we go through peaks of time where we are interested in the latest gadgets (or a new tobacco blends on the later) and we need a place to not only see what's new...but I think more importantly...learn from others like us...on what to do, what not to, how to do it...while at the same time, having a good laugh at someone else's expense.

I don't know what, if anything from my post makes sense to you...but I appreciate other "brothers" that share the same interests and are willing to help one another learn from their trials and tribulations.

Thank you "BobSaysHi" and other fellow "Head-Fi'ers" for some great tips, help and every once in awhile...a good laugh!

Tommy

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #66 of 102
No this thread is about bcasey4raptor being happy with $20 logitechs, and about deadlylover being unhappy with $X,XXX STAX stuff.

I was quite happy until STAX announced the new flagship a few months after I had purchased their previous flagship. I was thinkin to myself, yo dawg, STAX been rollin' with the O2's for over a decade, what are the chances of them coming out with something new right after my purchase? Life's not fair.

My bubble is burst.

DON'T STOP BELIEVING. WHIP OUT LA QUANTUM MECHANICS AND VOILA, THERE'S A POSSIBILITY OUR DREAMS ARE STILL TRUE.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #68 of 102
Oct 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #69 of 102

Why do you have to have the Flacship?

It feels like it's my destiny to acquire the very best, and then poo on all the typical audiophile values by wasting it on doof doof and loli music.

Besides, I need something just a little more edgy so I can play the age guessing game with increased accuracy. and I think it will make them sound younger too, so that's a biwinning in my book.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #70 of 102
With entry-level amps, SR007A sounds better with doof doof and vocaloid music than the SR009. SR009 was giving me a headache.

Not sure how it'll perform with your DIY T2, though.

Oct 3, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #71 of 102
With entry-level amps, SR007A sounds better with doof doof and vocaloid music than the SR009. SR009 was giving me a headache.
Not sure how it'll perform with your DIY T2, though.

Hmmmmm this is not sounding good.

If the DIY T2 somehow fails to tame it down, then I'll need to throw together a modern day SRX.

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #72 of 102
Yeah. SR009 is incomparable to any headphone I've heard for classical, jazz, and acoustic instruments, but it was shrill with electronica, metal, pop, rock, etc. It wasn't so bad when the volume was turned down, but listening at a loud volume probably would've given me a migraine after awhile.

[Un?]fortunately, I think there is a strong case for having both. Maybe this changes with DIY T2/BHSE/WES, but I don't think we'll know more conclusively until the new batch of BHSEs go out.

I think there are a few people around with the DIY T2 and SR009, though.

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #73 of 102

Quote:
I feel the same with my logitech Cheap $20 speakers i own.

You and I own the same speakers, but I'm using a different pair with a small sub. It's amazing what you can get for less than 50 dollars.

I'm considering building some speakers once my current DIY projects are finished.

Quote:
x2....it started as a legitimate thread and then went downhill due to the usual suspects.

It's weird being on the other end of this. I guess this is... maturity?

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #74 of 102
Yeah. SR009 is incomparable to any headphone I've heard for classical, jazz, and acoustic instruments, but it was shrill with electronica, metal, pop, rock, etc. It wasn't so bad when the volume was turned down, but listening at a loud volume probably would've given me a migraine after awhile.

Great, so the trolls at Stax release a headphone that only sounds good with things I don't listen to. :mad:

Fingers crossed that they voiced the thing with the T2 in mind, I'm sure they still have a few monsters around.....

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #75 of 102
Quote:
Great, so the trolls at Stax release a headphone that only sounds good with things I don't listen to.
mad.gif

To be fair, the stuff you listen to is meant to be heard on free earbuds and department store headphones 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back