Disenchanted with head-fi (a rant)
Oct 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 102

BobSaysHi

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've been here for a while, and despite my high post count, I care very little for the pursuit of high fidelity audio. I no longer have this yearning for the best gear possible. Hell, I don't even want better gear. It seems frivolous to me. But even more than that, the entire industry seems like a scam.

This blog is brimming with misinformation. Misinformation about amplification. Misinformation about high end gear. Snake Oil cables and Power Conditioners. Not even the DIY section is safe, with people coming in every day asking about boutique modifications. While the sound does most certainly change, it's not a justifiably measurable phenomenon. I feel that the average person visiting the site that actually takes us seriously (which is a reasonably small percentage) is getting incorrect information.

People here talk about "the pursuit of the final 5%" and justify their purchases. I don't think that the top 5% exists, and I certainly don't think it exists in the way head-fi seems fit to envision it. 

I haven't ventured out of the member's section in months. But I don't even come here very often. I mostly stay in the Private Messages, having conversations that aren't allowed with the general public.

I got into the hobby from a DIYer's perspective, and I wish I had remained at the fringe, instead of purchasing the high end headphones I did. I'm more or less back in the same position I was when I got started in the hobby. Why? Because I've come to listen to things with an objective ear. I can't tell the difference between two properly designed SS amplifiers. I can't tell the difference between two properly built DACs. There is obviously a more easily recognizable difference between two pairs of headphones, but it is a small percentage of increased quality between upgrades, and the sequential upgrades that all use the same driver are a blatant scam.

There are also a lot of familiar faces that I don't see around anymore. I miss Kirosia, and even Bilavideo. There have been a lot of good people that I've met and become quite personal with, but I just don't care anymore. This place has become a tomb.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 102
I know exactly how you feel. Lately I've been trying to help keep the objective spirit alive, but for every newbie I turn toward neutral gear there's five more buying tubes because they're "natural" and asking how expensive their cable needs to be to "open up" the headphones. It's forever a losing battle.

Luckily I'm at my stopping point when it comes to gear, and even if I choose to buy more I know what to look for now. So when the time comes I can escape regret-free. If you're happy with what you have, you should do the same.

Oct 1, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 102
Believe it or not i come here more for the advice on how to enjoy life to the fullest and not really to purchase any gear. Am quite satisfied now with the low priced fantastic sounding equipment i've brought thanks to the great advice here but for me the lasting treasure is in the MEMBER'S LOUNGE and the picture threads displaying fabulous gear while reminding me am enjoying my under $2,000 collection without any regrets.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 102

Quote:

You're listening to Wumpscut and Cobalt 60 on AD700's. 

Yes and what a wonderful mechanical sound they make together :D Funny you should mention them since i was listening to them tonight while playing a Dosbox game of CARMAGEDDON but mainly listening on my Insignia Bass Reflex bookshelf speakers tonight. Might switch to the headphones in a bit if it doesnt get too lonely at the midnight hour with the Lava Lamp on :)

Oh and one of the things that i guess makes Wumpscut and Cobalt 60 sound right with the AD700's is the Onkyo Tx-8555 stereo reciever which amps up the bass aswell as allows me to boost up the bass even more with the tone controls yet the bass never overwhelms on the AD700's. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 102

Quote:

Yeah... cheap AD700 + cheap vintage stereo receiver + high-quality DAC/sound-card (not sure if you have that) would indicate a reasonably satisfied customer to me.

From what i've read the Onkyo stereo reciever can take the place of a DAC. I've never had one and just have my sound come from the motherboard on the pc to the stereo reciever which feeds the speakers and headphones since thats good enough for me compared to what onboard sound used to be like in the old days back in the late 1980s/1990s. Sound card is in storage since it was a pain getting it to work right. Fortunately the last two pc upgrades i have enjoyed the onboard sound with no annoyances.

Wow your really into IEMs
beerchug.gif

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 102
I can't tell the difference between any of my electronic equipment.

I come from car-audio where I subscribe to the Richard Clark challenge of a watt is a watt. In fact, I have been through countless 12v amps and never noticed any difference other than output or noise-floor.

I consider myself much more critical of a listener than any of my friends, but apparently I am not blessed with ears that can discern between merely good-enough and high-end electronics.

That's part of the fun I guess :cool:

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #10 of 102

Quote:
From what i've read the Onkyo stereo reciever can take the place of a DAC.

Are you feeding it with optical/coax/bnc?

Quote:
 compared to what onboard sound used to be like in the old days back in the late 1980s/1990s.

Nah, Amiga's and Commodore C64's sound fantastic.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 102

Quote:
So I've been here for a while, and despite my high post count, I care very little for the pursuit of high fidelity audio. I no longer have this yearning for the best gear possible. Hell, I don't even want better gear. It seems frivolous to me. But even more than that, the entire industry seems like a scam.

I got into the hobby from a DIYer's perspective, and I wish I had remained at the fringe, instead of purchasing the high end headphones I did. I'm more or less back in the same position I was when I got started in the hobby. Why? Because I've come to listen to things with an objective ear. I can't tell the difference between two properly designed SS amplifiers. I can't tell the difference between two properly built DACs. There is obviously a more easily recognizable difference between two pairs of headphones, but it is a small percentage of increased quality between upgrades, and the sequential upgrades that all use the same driver are a blatant scam.

There are also a lot of familiar faces that I don't see around anymore. I miss Kirosia, and even Bilavideo. There have been a lot of good people that I've met and become quite personal with, but I just don't care anymore. This place has become a tomb.

I've gone through the same feelings when i was at a gaming forum since 2002. Eventually its just time to move on as the old timers disappear and a  younger crowd with a different mindset enters the picture more and more. Trying to hang on doesnt work most of the time and the best thing is to disconnect and lurk in the background which makes it easier to disappear while still dropping in once in awhile. Times change and new adventures call to one with a happiness that makes everything feel alive again.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 102

Quote:
I consider myself much more critical of a listener than any of my friends, but apparently I am not blessed with ears that can discern between merely good-enough and high-end electronics.

cool.gif

Hi Mario,

Try comparing a NOS DAC such as with the Philips TDA1543 with a modern high-end DAC and then you'll notice a difference in sound quality and that "All DAC's sound the same" is the most incorrect sentence on head-fi.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 102
>>This blog is brimming with misinformation. ...Not even the DIY section is safe,
Evolution in progress. In order for natural selection to work, we must have a selection. So there is always more of the same cruft coming in but from all the noise, some good information does arise. And the posts are mostly friendly and civil. Of course, once you have fairly good phones, and amps, and DACs, it might become tedious.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 102
Quote:

Hi Mario,

Try comparing a NOS DAC such as with the Philips TDA1543 with a modern high-end DAC and then you'll notice a difference in sound quality and that "All DAC's sound the same" is the most incorrect sentence on head-fi. 

Any competent DAC will sound the same. NOS DACs aren't competent.

Oct 2, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #15 of 102

Quote:

Are you feeding it with optical/coax/bnc?

Nah, Amiga's and Commodore C64's sound fantastic.

No just regular stereo audio cable plugs from the pc to the reciever and the recommended speaker wire from the reciever to the speakers. Nothing fancy and trying to keep it as direct a hookup to each component as possible which can be a pain using headphone extension cords for the Koss Pro-4AA.

Verily the Amiga was and still is a wonder of technology. It was one of the most intuitive home computers and felt like a physical extension of my brain which made anything seem possible. I used to do all sorts of things on my Amiga 500 because it was so easy. From music which one didnt need to know anything about writing or reading music to 3d modeling with Caligari or even designing wargames with some of the game construction sets out there or the fun to use AMOS language back in the day. Good times. Too bad when i switched to the very exciting Intel based computers things didnt stir my creative juices as easily due to the learning curve and difficulty. Did mess with some DOOM and HERECTIC level editing with WadED and a bit 3d modeling with RAYDREAM. Music i didnt even try when i saw right away how the smooth creative process just didnt flow like it did on the Amiga's wonderful interface.

I loved listening and watching the many demos which came on disks from European crews. Its pretty cool to see many of those old demos on Youtube. It was a great moment seeing the old HARDWIRED demo on Youtube :D 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back