Discussion of a niche 'PURE-Transport' DAP (to serve digital streams to a seperate DAC-Amp)
Jun 21, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #31 of 43
No news on this side :frowning2: !!

Is the audio industry blind ?

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #32 of 43
No news on this side :frowning2: !!

Is the audio industry blind ?

Apparently so...

I caved in and bought a FiiO X5 to avail myself of its Coaial Out, but I've stuck with navigation by folder browsing, as many of the features common to even the Sansa Clip+ (search by album, by title, by song, playlists, etc.) are plagued by bugs in the X5 software.  I do not allow it to even scan the microSD cards to create a database - that just consumes RAM, which seems to increase the X5's propensity to crash and/or to skip tracks and/or experience a one or two-second delay in playing the beginning of a song.  I get perfect gapless playback and no crashes or stuttering or any other software glitches, just by using WAV files and navigation by folder browsing.  

It's really sad that we can't buy a Sansa Clip+ with Coaxial Out!  

Meanwhile (going off-topic a bit), I've discovered that the FiiO X5's PCM1792A DAC (Line Out) is amazing when used with truly neutral and transparent amps for driving overly bright headphones like the HD800 or AKG K550.

Mike

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #34 of 43
Sorry for my silly question,but i wonder which dap/portable device has a decent coax out to feat hugo??
How is the fiio x5/dx90 feated to hugo by coax out,anyone experience it??

Jul 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #35 of 43
I haven't tried it myself, but the user interface of the AK240 has earned a reputation as being the most bug-free of several DAPs. Unfortunately, it is also the most expensive. But since you are not really interested in the DAC or the Amp sections of a DAP, it's the user interface that should be of most concern to you.  A lot of DAPs can do Coaxial Out or Optical Out pretty well, but their user interfaces are bad.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #38 of 43
How about a harddrive enclosure with built in battery. The unit could have a docking system that could attach to current DAP like an AK240 and FiiO x5. It would be USB 2.0 speed but it should be more than enough to stream HiFi Music. This way it takes advantage of current DAP technology.

http://www.amazon.com/ZTC-Enclosure-Adapter-Support-ZTC-EN002/dp/B00I4701O6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406134550&sr=8-1&keywords=msata+enclosure

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #39 of 43
this thread is for discussion of a TRANSPORT, not a conventional DAP, not an iPod, not a DAC, not a hard drive

May 14, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #41 of 43
I made this same request of simplest pure digital transport last week on different threads without success on getting answers.

This was after my iPad updated to 10.3 lost its connectivity with my Mojo through CCK and other Meenova lighting cables (fortunately iPod Touch 5 gen is locked to iOS 9.3.5 and cable still works). Then I tried my OnePlus 3 with Meenova USB Type C OTG and UAPP and although it works UAPP does not support Tidal offline.

And then I read all the excellent reviews of FiiO X5 3rd generation with his coax digital output but I don't want to pay for the 2 DACs and other amp section.

I want to use my Mojo and Mimby and I want the device supports FLAC and other hi-res audio files stored internally or in SD cards attached, but I also want it to support the leading streaming lossless services in offline mode when travelling and when through cellular data and avoid limit of data GB. I don't mind if it should be Android but I guess this is the open OS to get it. I want it with WiFi and coax or TOSLINK digital output.

If we get an X5III at $399 and remove all DAC and amp section, the price should be in the $200-$300 and that would be my concept of pure hi-res audio transport.

What do you think about that?
Any progress in other separated threads to this one on this subject as I see this one not updated on almost 2 years?

Cheers

Jun 8, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #42 of 43
If we get an X5III at $399 and remove all DAC and amp section, the price should be in the $200-$300 and that would be my concept of pure hi-res audio transport.

I agree with you, but are you aware that Fiio were considering making a transport (about 18 months ago), but they've since shelved the project? (but they seem to like to be publicly ambiguous about the project status)

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...utput-slim-design-apt-x-type-c.799227/page-82

Maybe they've changed their minds, now (it's possible that they diverted their R&D to create the X3iii, but may now have time to create a transport based upon the R&D they did for the X3iii), but I'll believe it (if)when I see it.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #43 of 43
I agree with you, but are you aware that Fiio were considering making a transport (about 18 months ago), but they've since shelved the project? (but they seem to like to be publicly ambiguous about the project status)

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...utput-slim-design-apt-x-type-c.799227/page-82

Maybe they've changed their minds, now (it's possible that they diverted their R&D to create the X3iii, but may now have time to create a transport based upon the R&D they did for the X3iii), but I'll believe it (if)when I see it.

Thanks Mython, I cross my fingers, as with not doubt I will buy this device. As discussed in FiiO T3 thread Tidal streaming and Tidal offline is key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back