Discussion of a niche 'PURE-Transport' DAP (to serve digital streams to a seperate DAC-Amp)
Mar 8, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #16 of 43
Guys, I understand your standpoint, but this thread is extremely specifically about a transport-DAP, that does not include a DAC.

Anything that includes a DAC is, by definition, off-topic for this thread.

The genesis of this thread began with the observation that no decent option is available for devices such as the Chord Hugo, and one thing the Hugo most definitely does not require, in the equation, is an inferior and redundant onboard DAC in the transport feeding it.

Apr 3, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #17 of 43
May be here is THE alternative source for external DAC like the HUGO:  Panasonic FZ-M1

A rugged 7" Tablet with USB 3, Windows 8.1 pro 64 bits & 256 Gb on board + MicroSD : 384 Gb    

--> by by ONKO player & UAPP,  Welcome  JRiver or Foobar :)

what do you think ? 

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #19 of 43
So...  what about a Microsoft Surface PRO 2  512 Gb + JRiver  ?   this should be a very good compromise ?

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #21 of 43
  So...  what about a Microsoft Surface PRO 2  512 Gb + JRiver  ?   this should be a very good compromise ?

Still too expensive for most of us, but if you can afford it, then good luck to you
beerchug.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #27 of 43
I'm somewhat hoping that maybe they could save the battery life by going for a headless version, especially if that were making their lives easier. Then simply run Linux-based streaming servers and we could control everything from browsers or mobile apps supporting UPnP / DLNA etc.

Daphile

MinimServer

Music Player Daemon

Rune-Server

VortexBox

I started this thread in order to discuss something smaller than a notebook / iPad, so as to make it easy to carry a Hugo around in a small bag like this: http://www.amazon.com/Large-Size-Fabric-Waist-Black/dp/B003Y80H44/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1398255115&sr=8-7&keywords=fanny+pack

Something no larger than a standard DAP:

(quoted from my opening post in this thread)
  As per title, there has been some discussion, recently (e.g. in the AK240 and Chord Hugo threads) that a niche exists, which has yet to be filled, for a 'DAP' that omits any DAC or Amp within it's casework, but which would serve purely as a *portable* (the slimmer the better) transport for a 3rd-party DAC-Amp of one's choosing - the Chord Hugo being a perfect example.

Are you going to carry around a 'Linux-based streaming server' in your bag, too? 
confused.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #28 of 43
J
...Are you going to carry around a 'Linux-based streaming server' in your bag, too?  :confused:

Solution: JRiver on the mini-Pc controled with an iPhone runing JRemote ? Should work ?

May 10, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #29 of 43
I'm adding myself to this wish list. :)  

For me I'd be looking for pure transport, with high quality clock, simple file/folder navigation, SD or CF storage and Coax, AES and Toslink outputs. I definitely don't want Android, Windows or any other OS because then I might as well use my iPad or Android phone.  

Reading up on Amarra, Audirvana and the rest for my MBP they were talking about the files being converted to floating point whatever and then maybe getting converted back to integer whatever.  I don't entirely understand it, but it's surely unnecessary to just play some music files?  There's enough of a difference between Amarra and Decibel that it seems to matter and with a full-on OS there may be no way to avoid it.

So can a dedicated source bypass all of that, like a CD player?  I have my eyes on the Sony PCM-D100 and the Sound Devices 702, neither of which have an OS and should avoid that complexity.  Granted they have a lot of other functionality I may not need and the UI is likely to be poor for a music system, but sound quality is king.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back