Disco And Nu-Disco
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #126 of 369
Excellent list! Thanks for sharing it, KDP.

There are a number of nu-er artists I haven't heard before. And some great oldies by Will Smith and others. I keep forgettin to post some Jamiroquai. You've got some nice selections by him too.

Feb 27, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #129 of 369
This is the absolute favorite song of last year for me, when it comes to rhythm or "dance" music.
Not really classic disco, but it has some old school vibes to it, but fresh at the same time. Too bad music like this is so rare today, we're flooded with dumber and dumber, very bad mainstream music.
The video style is like a mix between Michael Jackson's "Bad" & West Side Story.

The entire album is fabulous. And top notch production!

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #130 of 369
Christine and the Queens is a relatively new group to me. But I like the vibe on some of their tunes. And posted the Frenglish version of "Tilted" in the Avant-Pop topic. (Haven't posted there in awhile, but you might enjoy a few of the tunes there). FullBright1 also posted a live version of the track here on page 2.

I think one of the things I miss most about some of these old disco tracks is the use of actual acoustic instruments. Esp. strings and horns. And also some of the clever musical arrangements.

As you probably know, Nile Rodgers was one of the major forces of the disco era. And his songs with groups like Chic, Sister Sledge and others from that time remain among my favorite. I don't wanna get too technical here, but he seems to have a real knack for interesting rhythmic motifs, and also chord progressions (or what George Harrison called "the naughty chords"). It's what gives alot of these old tunes their "bluesy" or jazzy quality... which I love.

You still get that kind of thing on some new R&B and hip-hop tracks. And even the occasional pop track.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #131 of 369
I also miss the lip gloss and 70's hair styles (ie Farrah hair).

476px-Farrah_Fawcett_1977.JPG

And lava-lamps, pet rocks, mood rings, Spirographs, Etch-a-sketchs, and trolls. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back