Disappointed with the AKG K550 – Where is the bass?
Dec 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:
Just sidetracking a little bit here, but how would you compare the bass of k550s VS the k701/702 ? Thx

The K550s have more bass than the K701/2's.
I have the DT770 80 ohm and really like the bass. The k550 seems to have a pretty deep response however not quite as sub bass heavy as the 770s.
I crave sub bass and midbass seems to mud things up too much for my tastes. The 770's dont fatigue me either as many headphone makes will rolloff that freq (5khz) to reduce fatigue. The 770s can sound dark, so beware if that bothers you. I would avoid the sony XB series at all costs, its really terrible. I've been considering the LCD2's lately but I worry that the soundstage, open design and comfort factor may disappoint.

Freq Response here

Beyer DT770 (Note low distortion, decent sub bass, also note larger dip at 5khz and spike at 9ish khz. The 80ohms will have even more sub bass than the identified 600ohm pair)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT770.pdf

AKG K550 (Note higher distortion, decent sub bass but higher distortion and smaller peaks)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK550.pdf

AKG K701 (Note rolled off bass and high distortion, highly overrated IMO)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK701.pdf

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #32 of 46
Just my 2 cents (and I'm new a newbie)... I was happy with K550 as my first 'good' headphone (besides an old AKG) paired with the D1 dac/amp, but was also a little disappointed in the bass overall, just didn't have the quantity at low volumes that I was looking for... nor the impact except on bass heavy songs... Well, I just got an old Sherwood receiver from 1981 I think, and using it as my amp with the D1 provides exactly what I was looking for, and the bass is strong, balanced at any level, and makes a hard impact when turned up... Which makes me think that these might not be so 'easily driven' as is claimed. Yes, they sound great with the D1 (NOT with my computer out) but really seem to shine with more power than the D1 gives. I.e. while they sound good even out of an IPad, the bass seems very good with more power, does this make sense?

not to be offensive, but this thread is three-four months old. Generally it's better to start a new thread than to bring up an old one.

Just to be OT, the K550 is quite seal dependent when it comes to bass. Move the pads around and try get a better seal.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:
What source(s) are you currently plugging the headphones into?
What DAC and headphone amp. are you using?

Try putting the K550 under a blanket for a few days while plugged to something playing audio at a higher level then you normally listen to.
I prefer to play Metal for burn-in audio.

An amp/ DAC mismatch is not the problem here... 
Quote:
My K550s have plenty of bass. Not sure what you are talking about. My music preferences range from Progressive, Downtempo, Acid Jazz, Hip-Hop (not rap), ect...

It isn't skull crushing bass, but it definitely isn't weak. Made my Q701s feel like I have been missing something this whole time.

Well coming from a Q701, that's not surprising
Quote:
Audiophile headphones don't have bass.

There is some truth to this statement. 

Conclusion: Try to get the best seal. I doubt it will make a day and night difference but who knows? Here are a list of cans that people regard bassy:

Any of the Ultrasones 
DT770 
M50 
V-Moda M80/ V80 

Instead of these alternatives though, I'd look into the Modded Fostex T50rp: the Mad Dogs by Mr. Speakers. They are around the same price as the AKG K550 but have quite a reputation around here on head-fi. Never heard it myself but I might purchase it soon. 

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #34 of 46
If you aren't satisfied with it now , you will never be . Return it and looking for another . Many in this topic is really good
beyersmile.png

May 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #35 of 46
Damn, why were you such an idiot? People telling you here its about a good seal, you dont listen and keep talking something about amps...
Just push them to your ears and boom, you have bass!!

May 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:
Damn, why were you such an idiot? People telling you here its about a good seal, you dont listen and keep talking something about amps...
Just push them to your ears and boom, you have bass!!

Do realize that this thread is quite old and this answer has been given several times...
But oh well i guess one more correct answer wont harm
cool.gif

May 27, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:
AKG K550 (Note higher distortion, decent sub bass but higher distortion and smaller peaks) http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK550.pdf

Interesting... I hear distortion on my K550's in the lower mids. I don't think it's so much of a volume problem, so the freq. graph wouldn't show it, but the K550's can be a little clumsy in the way they present the mids. Gotta love that treble sparkle, though....

May 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:
I write it because he ignored these answers. I don't understand it.

Well i guess its unfortunate that it happens sometimes, also it appears that OP seems to have ran away. He disappeared after the first page and never returned with a conclusion.
I still do wonder why the K550 is just so seal dependent anyway compared to other headphones.

May 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:
Well i guess its unfortunate that it happens sometimes, also it appears that OP seems to have ran away. He disappeared after the first page and never returned with a conclusion.
I still do wonder why the K550 is just so seal dependent anyway compared to other headphones.

The price that needs be paid by the listener for AKG's effort is to get the seal right... -from Tyll Hertsens's review.

May 28, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #41 of 46
I second this. One example when I wear my glasses it sounds really weak (the frame does not let the pad sit properly around my ear), when I remove my glasses, so it can sit perfectly, the bass is amazing.

May 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

I think the same thing about the Beyer T70 which some people have called "anemic".  I find the bass pretty damn good (not hugely strong, just nice), but if i touch the seal at all, it just completely disappears...   Seems to happen from time to time with some headphones.

May 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #44 of 46
Tested almost every high-end over-ear headphone out there,

The AKG K550 are not bassy, if you're a basshead, 

The K550 have nice smooth bass after an burn-in.

Bass that dont kill the other ( mids - highs ).

If you're a basshead, look out for the sony XB line, These headphones are also very comfortable, and a lot bassier / better on the lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back