Disappointed with Audeze LCD2s
Jun 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #61 of 72
Quote:
OP might enjoy the HE-500. I still think the OP should give the LCD2 some time, the understanding of a headphone can take awhile imo, and it should also be auditioned using various amps, dacs, etc. 

If the OP  previously had LCD2s and bought Grado's would you still recommend he spends the time to adjust to them before going to something else?

If you answer no, you're just blindly assuming your preferences are right or better and trying to swing other people around, which is silly.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #62 of 72
Quote:
If the OP  previously had LCD2s and bought Grado's would you still recommend he spends the time to adjust to them before going to something else?

If you answer no, you're just blindly assuming your preferences are right or better and trying to swing other people around, which is silly.

He suggested HE500's as an alternative to LCD-2's, or giving LCD-2's more time, which is often advised when trying a headphone with a new (to the listener) sound signature.  I don't see anything silly there.

Jun 27, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #63 of 72
Strangely enough, I've owned LCD-2.2's for a couple of months and I thought I was happy with everything except comfort.  I borrowed a pair of RS1's from a friend and it's been a revelation.  I just cannot believe how good they sound.  I always avoided all things Grado due to the graphs and I now realize what I was missing out on.  Just goes to show that you have to try things out for yourself before deciding.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #64 of 72
Quote:
lol

Two things came to mind reading this thread and reminds me of the old HD650 vs K701 comparison threads.

To sum up:

Two different sounding headphones, one laid back or progressively used "dark" sounding. The other with a lot of treble energy and to some overly bright or shrilling sounding.

Going from a Grado to a LCD2 is a night and day difference. If OP has been listening to the Grado for all his life, the transition from them to the LCD2's will not automatically allow for his ears and brain to adjust to the extremely different sound signature. OP should spend a little more time with the LCD2's, get to know it, listen to it through some different genre's/music and get to know the positive attributes of the headphone. Compare back and forth with the Grado's and understand what both are good at and why they are good in that aspect. If OP still dislikes the LCD2's by the of this, it simply comes down to one thing - sound preference. Nothing wrong with this, not everyone will enjoy a piece from the same cake.

I haven't always agreed with you in the past, but i'm with you 100% on this one.

I would like to add, that even though i have a preference for Grados, i do also like the LCD2/3, and if i were to buy another brand of headphones, it would most likely be LCD3s.

Jun 27, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #65 of 72
Strangely enough, I've owned LCD-2.2's for a couple of months and I thought I was happy with everything except comfort.  I borrowed a pair of RS1's from a friend and it's been a revelation.  I just cannot believe how good they sound.  I always avoided all things Grado due to the graphs and I now realize what I was missing out on.  Just goes to show that you have to try things out for yourself before deciding.

That's the truth. I don't have anything against the idea that graphs are important; but until they have graphs that can show a headphone's soundstage, how accurate it's timbre is, and how well textured the sound is I'd prefer to judge with my ears. As far as I see it the graphs we have today can tell you if something is significantly off with a headphone but they don't give enough information.

The same argument comes into play on the vinyl websites I visit. As long as the rumble and wow/flutter specs are below what I can hear(and I'm far from perfect pitch) the specs mean nothing to me. You're never going to find out how well a table dissipates/resists vibration, how noisy the tonearm bearings are, or a multitude of other things looking at the few specs listed on the manufacturer's site.

In fact, when people are overly reliant on certain specifications it can create a situation where the manufacturers focus on only those factors and ignore things that we don't yet know how to test for. It was before my time, but the 'receiver power wars' of the 70s come to mind. And I can tell you from experiance with vintage receivers that power output /=/ sound quality as long as you have sufficient power for the speakers/headphones you are running.

Jun 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #66 of 72
Quote:

I nearly avoided even trying a Grado early on because of all that I had read on here about them. Thankfully a guy I trust from the speaker side of things told me how much he loved his and I gave them a chance. If I hadn't done that, I'd have never found as much enjoyment in headphones as I have. That would have been a real shame! 

I love that we have all sorts of objective data and measurements available. But way too many people seem to do things in reverse and allow the data to dictate to them what they SHOULD think of a headphone. That's complete nonsense, IMO. As MH said earlier in the thread, these tools are fantastic in that they help us learn more not only about a particular headphone, but also about our hearing preferences. But some people are so caught up in this stuff that it's almost like they can't give themselves permission to admit that MAYBE a phone with some crazy FR graph sounds pretty good to them. 

There's a reason why a company like Grado has been around for decades, and obviously it's NOT because their headphones measure well lol. There are all sorts of great  headphones out there that will score well in terms of measurements, so if that's what someone is after they shouldn't have any trouble at all finding it. But there are thousands of us out here who love Grado phones, and you can find countless professional and consumer reviews that sing their praises. 

I love having a few different phones in the mix, and the Audez'e LCD-2 is one I've been dying to hear. As a lover of planar magnetic speakers, Audez'e has always intrigued me and I love that they're based in the states. I'm pretty set on my small collection of phones for now, but for those beauties I can certainly make room for one more. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #67 of 72
I for one have never really looked at measurements or graphs, I just head off to the local audiophile store and try everything on :D 
I feel since audio is such a subjective thing, the best thing to do is to ignore measurements and just demo things out yourself. When i demo'ed the RS1i's and the SR80, I could easily tell that they were world class quality sound, it was just they were a little too bright for me, though from what I've been hearing the PS500 may be a alternative HP to my LCD-2.

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #68 of 72
Being a HD600 owner, I'm smack in the middle between bright-sounding Grados and dark-sounding LCD-2
tongue.gif
I can adapt both ways
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #70 of 72
Quote:
Being a HD600 owner, I'm smack in the middle between bright-sounding Grados and dark-sounding LCD-2
tongue.gif
I can adapt both ways
cool.gif

I see you have a Schitt amp...a few buds of mine recently picked up Lyrs for their 650s...have you found that Senns and the Schitt amps are a great match? 

Jul 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #72 of 72

He suggested HE500's as an alternative to LCD-2's, or giving LCD-2's more time, which is often advised when trying a headphone with a new (to the listener) sound signature.  I don't see anything silly there.
That's exactly what I meant, thank you. I was scratching my head after reading errymoose's comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back